diet and large weight gain!

Options
I lost ten pounds and splurged twice in two weeks and gained back the weight. It's strange but in a day I can gain 5 to 6 pounds with nothing more than one splurge type meal. I was 135 when I got pregnant and began to gain 6 to 12 pounds a week. It's been 15 years. I can never seem to eat much and I am 100 overweight. What kind of foods can I stick with or do you guys have suggestions or similar issues with "normal food or eating"

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you logging in the diary? Weighing your foods?What kind of foods have you been eating?
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think the best option is to take whatever you already enjoy eating but convert the recipes to healthier, lower calorie, lower fat versions. This way a splurge is still a healthy splurge. Also find a snack that is little to no calories such as tea or a crunchy vegetable or lettuce or spring roll wraps. Here is a little known fact - each strawberry contains only about 3 calories. Gourmet shops sell dark chocolate vinegar. When you dip a fresh sweet strawberry into chocolate vinegar you get all the flavor of a chocolate dipped strawberry but zero fat and only about 4 or 5 calories each. You could eat 30 strawberries for less than 150 calories. I call that a splurge! Especially since the ones dipped in unhealthy fatty sugary chocolate will be higher in fat and only 3 or 4 will total 150 calories. Good luck!
    -
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Tbh you dont give us enough information. In the rare event where someone has a medical condition, then you are probably like the rest of us. That means your body can fluctuate with water weight every day by up to 5lbs and if you weigh more then I assume that would mean the numbers can be larger.

I think you should try the standard MFP approach, do it properly and see if you get results that way.

Its much less to do with type of food and much more to do with making sure you are at a consistent calorific deficit. You make no mention of this and your diary is closed, so we cant see several things that would be helpful. Most people get solutions just by having other members have a look at what they are doing. To lose 100lbs could take anything up to 2 years, so its important to get it right at the beginning, but its straightforward and very possible as many people in the success section show.

Going to bed now but for others that come after:

How long have you been on your diet?
    How tall?
    How much do you weigh?
    Age?

How much are you trying to lose per week?
    Are you using the MFP method or TDEE to calculate calorie targets?
    Are you doing any exercise, if so how much?
    Are you logging all your food?
    Are you weighing all your food with kitchen scales?

When you get the number then you will need to.
    Weigh and log food every day to make sure your deficit is accurate. Food choice shouldnt matter for weight loss, but it does for things like nutrition, satiety and energy levels.

Good luck
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day. Obviously you are going to be lighter in the morning before eating and after using the restroom.

If you are 100 pounds over weight, then you have been eating too much. Stick to your deficit on here and you'll see results.
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Considering a pound is roughly 3500 calories to it would take 17500 - 21000 extra calories to equal 5-6 pounds. I doubt your splurge meal is that much over maintenance. Make sure you are weighing all your food so you know for sure how much you are eating and consider the extra weight after a splurge is mostly water retention.

Find a proper calorie deficit for your weight loss and fit the foods you enjoy into that limit it will work. If your not losing your not at a deficit.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    You say you never seem to eat enough. If you are not eating enough during the day your weight loss will stop.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    You say you never seem to eat enough. If you are not eating enough during the day your weight loss will stop.

False. Whether it means some days she eats 500 calories for whatever reason, and others she eats 1500, either way she's setting herself up for weight loss even if she's hungry afterwards. The former would see more rapid loss, but is, of course, far more dangerous.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that developed with or without the pregnancy? Gestational diabetes or other (i.e. PCOS, insulin resistance) can really take a toll on your weight loss if you don't look at your macros.
  • wolfie209
    Options
    No medical condition. Doctors can't tell me why I gain so quickly. I am always under the calorie intake. I don't eat too much. I was told I was in starvation mode. I don't know how to open the diary but will look. I just wanted to know of anyone else gains weight so rapidly. I gained 12 pounds in two weeks with not much different meal wise. I will do the journal then see what others think I guess. I am 5'8 and 270 pounds as of today. I sure hope I figure this out. Thanks
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    wolfie209 wrote: »
    No medical condition. Doctors can't tell me why I gain so quickly. I am always under the calorie intake. I don't eat too much. I was told I was in starvation mode. I don't know how to open the diary but will look. I just wanted to know of anyone else gains weight so rapidly. I gained 12 pounds in two weeks with not much different meal wise. I will do the journal then see what others think I guess. I am 5'8 and 270 pounds as of today. I sure hope I figure this out. Thanks

There's nothing to figure out. You are eating much more than you think you are. Unless you're willing to admit and change that, nothing will change.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is largely a myth. At your weight (no offense), there is 0 chance you are in starvation mode. I agree with another poster that said you are likely eating more than you think you are - maybe not quantity wise but the calories you consume (either liquid or solid) are in excess of what your body requires. You should try getting your BMR ("metabolism") tested - google it for your area there may be someone who can tell you what yours is.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    First of all "starvation mode" is a myth.

Than i looked at your diary and you are not really a regular logging your food.

My guess is that you eat more than you think/log

Log ALL your food daily Weigh your solid food and measure your liquids.
    You can eat everything you want in your calorie allowance. When you dont have any medical issues like no salt or sugar for example.

Just learn moderation and portion control and you WILL lose weight.
  • glitzygrl65
    glitzygrl65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wolfe 209. I am about at the same weight as you are and if you log your calories and really use this app it works. I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months and am amazed how easy it is. I stopped drinking all soda and now eat mostly fruits and vegetables. Good luck to you
  • wolfie209
    Options
    Herr spoons I am not. There's no kidding myself but thanks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates as much as three pounds in a single day, but that is not a weight GAIN. I am told a fluctuation up to five pounds in a single day is normal. The overall TREND over time (at least a month) should show as downwards.

Try and weigh when all conditions are the same. Weigh in the morning after your ablutions, the same day a week, once a week.