So, what's it like being thin?

Options
To those who have successfully lost weight, what would you say has been the most enjoyable parts about being thin?
For example, does it feel nice to be able to fit in the clothes you've always wanted to fit in? Do you enjoy being in pictures more?
Please leave some motivating replies :)

Replies

• bossejo
    bossejo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Had a baby and it was awesome to fit in my old clothes again... also it's nice to be able to.show ur belly...and just to have a thin shape is always enjoyable!!! Keep going! ! Btw what u eat is what u r never forget and it should help!
  • irejb
    irejb Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For me, it's not about being 'thin', rather I want to be physical healthy and in shape.

Being able to comfortable fit into my clothes is one of the benefits about being in shape. However, the biggest benefit of all is being able to go up a flight of steps without getting winded.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I literally had to get rid of 90% of my clothes. It was exciting seeing how much I changed. No more meds for me and no more pain. I used to have knee pain, back pain, used to be on antidepressants, etc, etc, etc. All of that changed when I lost weight.

Think of it as the single greatest gift that one can give to him/ herself: health and quality of life.
  • ambiences
    ambiences Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i'm excited to get to where you all are!
  • GeorgieKay2013
    GeorgieKay2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Being generally fit and in good health will give you more energy. By having more energy you will be able to do more during the day. You will be motivated instead of ''Ohhh I can be bothered''.... Also if the body is well exercised it will recover faster during resting period. Like sleeping and having a power nap in the afternoon or just chilling in the sofa for an hour or so.

I don't think that being thin should be your main goal. Thin does not equals all the time good looking. Being in a good shape. Not that's different.
  • ambiences
    ambiences Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    true, i'd like mostly to be in shape!
  • keelz2010
    keelz2010 Posts: 182
    Options
    I got some knee high boots at Christmas and they actually fit over my calves for once... Having more choice of clothing, and not feeling depressed every time I hit the town because I hate the way I look is the best feeling.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm not "thin" but after losing weight, it's so much easier to throw on a pair of jeans and t-shirt and feel sexy and stylish. I use to spend so long coordinating outfits to hide this or that, always black tights to hide my legs. Now I can just buy a little dress in a size small and go! I feel really free.
  • arditarose
    Options
    keelz2010 wrote: »
    I got some knee high boots at Christmas and they actually fit over my calves for once... Having more choice of clothing, and not feeling depressed every time I hit the town because I hate the way I look is the best feeling.

I still struggle there ha.
  • GeorgieKay2013
    GeorgieKay2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ambiences wrote: »
    true, i'd like mostly to be in shape!

For that you will need some exercise. 2-3 times a week in the gym but I do not recommend strictly cardio. You will need some strength exercises to get them muscles going. And on top of that you can add one day of cardio if you got the time to speed up processes. Your best bet will be to get one of the PTs in the gym to make you a program. For women they usually do kettle bells and some light weights. They focus on legs, abs, shoulders.....

A good exercise program + the right food = SUCCESS

• sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I like not having to think about what might or might not look flattering. No one will call me overweight no matter from what angle they look at me. No matter what I wear. I just look good all the time :)
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can walk into a shop knowing your size, grab something you like off the rack, without too much angst.

Less pressure on the joints.

But psychologically? You take all that *kitten* with you, if you never deal with it. There are benefits to being a healthy weight range, but it won't fix all your life problems.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm thin - but I will say that I don't feel like a slob when I wear fleecy/yoga/stretchy pants in public anymore.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention, lingerie! So much fun now. Not before.
  • mariposa2007
    Options
    I can buy jeans online!! Knowing my size feels great, I also enjoy just feeling smaller in general. I like being able to squeeze between the wall and a chair, or curl up in a tiny ball in my husband's arms when we are cuddling. It feels amazing to be able to run up the stairs of our apartment and not get winded. I love that I can pick up my 30lb daughter and throw her in the air and watch her laugh. I love that people think I'm lighter than I am, I have a willowy look now that make me feel attractive and empowered.

I've also noticed that I no longer feel like I'm taking up a ton of space. When I'm in a group setting or squeezing into the backseat of a car with other people, I feel like I'm occupying a proper amount of space and not infringing on any on else's comfort.
  • ssssuperkate
    Options
    Wearing a tight shirt with jeans (in the size when I was at my smallest at that!) & feeling comfortable in my own skin. :smile: The comments from people about how good I look is the best part for me, because sometimes I don't realize how far I've come as I'm picking myself apart everyday. (bad habit of mine!)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I can buy jeans online!! Knowing my size feels great, I also enjoy just feeling smaller in general. I like being able to squeeze between the wall and a chair, or curl up in a tiny ball in my husband's arms when we are cuddling. It feels amazing to be able to run up the stairs of our apartment and not get winded. I love that I can pick up my 30lb daughter and throw her in the air and watch her laugh. I love that people think I'm lighter than I am, I have a willowy look now that make me feel attractive and empowered.

I've also noticed that I no longer feel like I'm taking up a ton of space. When I'm in a group setting or squeezing into the backseat of a car with other people, I feel like I'm occupying a proper amount of space and not infringing on any on else's comfort.

I love this. It was so well written! Congrats on your weight loss.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For me, the best thing about losing weight/getting healthy/fit has been the loss of anxiety and the opportunities that being thinner/fit gets me. I can get on an airplane without feeling as though I'm stuffed into the seat and crowding someone else. I can go to an amusement park and not worry about possibly being the fat guy who can't get the safety bar to latch. I can go swimming without a shirt on. Heck, when I'm buying things, if it's something that might have a weight restriction, I don't even bother checking to see if I'm over that limit. That's a great feeling! Not to mention things like fitting better in smaller clothes and not being out of breath doing everyday things.

In the past, I'd think about how I'd love to do things like parachuting or scuba diving but I probably weighed too much for the parachute and the thought of trying to squeeze into a wetsuit was pretty humbling. Now, it's just a matter of having the time or money to do those things. Crossing things off the bucket list is awesome!

I love visiting National Parks and the scenery is usually spectacular. I also love to hike but in the past, I'd always limit myself to the "easy" rated hikes simply because I did not have the stamina or endurance or fitness to tackle any of the strenuous hikes. Now I feel ready to branch out and give those harder hikes a go. I was in Zion National Park this past spring and I'd love to return there and hike up to Angels Landing. I think that would be a good indicator on how much my fitness has improved. The hike to Angels Landing isn't considered really THAT difficult but the word "strenuous" had always scared me off but now it does not. Now I take it as a challenge and want to prove that I can do it.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For me, the best thing about losing weight/getting healthy/fit has been the loss of anxiety and the opportunities that being thinner/fit gets me. I can get on an airplane without feeling as though I'm stuffed into the seat and crowding someone else. I can go to an amusement park and not worry about possibly being the fat guy who can't get the safety bar to latch. I can go swimming without a shirt on. Heck, when I'm buying things, if it's something that might have a weight restriction, I don't even bother checking to see if I'm over that limit. That's a great feeling! Not to mention things like fitting better in smaller clothes and not being out of breath doing everyday things.

In the past, I'd think about how I'd love to do things like parachuting or scuba diving but I probably weighed too much for the parachute and the thought of trying to squeeze into a wetsuit was pretty humbling. Now, it's just a matter of having the time or money to do those things. Crossing things off the bucket list is awesome!

I love visiting National Parks and the scenery is usually spectacular. I also love to hike but in the past, I'd always limit myself to the "easy" rated hikes simply because I did not have the stamina or endurance or fitness to tackle any of the strenuous hikes. Now I feel ready to branch out and give those harder hikes a go. I was in Zion National Park this past spring and I'd love to return there and hike up to Angels Landing. I think that would be a good indicator on how much my fitness has improved. The hike to Angels Landing isn't considered really THAT difficult but the word "strenuous" had always scared me off but now it does not. Now I take it as a challenge and want to prove that I can do it.

Reading that has really cheered me up on this grotty Tuesday morning. I want to go hiking now!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I agree to everything everyone has said, and will add that I don't feel blergh anymore. I like the way my body feels. I feel strong and comfortable and more in balance. I eat better food but less and enjoy it more. Last night I carried 22 lbs in a backpack; after less than half a mile I really felt the pressure in my shoulders, no wonder, I understood at last, why my body used to hurt when I weighed 44 lbs more than now.