I need help with my sweet tooth.

Options
How do you stop the sweet tooth? I can't seem to go one day with a bite of chocolate or mints. I need advise or some kind of alternative. I know its slowing my weight loss. Any info will help.

Replies

• affoster_81
    Options
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    A bite of chocolate or mints will not stop weight loss. Now, if you are over consuming them, then maybe but there's nothing wrong with fitting a little sweets into your day. That was the only way I stuck to losing my weight.

Calorie deficit for weight loss, macronutrients and micronutrients for body comp and health. Finding balance in those things and you can lose weight without completely giving up things you enjoy
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    A bite of chocolate or mints is fine. That won't slow you down if you are in your calorie goals.

I had a very significant sweet tooth and regularly binged on the stuff. What helped was a) tracking everything b) increasing protein and fat and decreasing carbs from starchy foods (potatos, corn, grains) and sweets/snacks. I generally limit starchy foods to 2 at most 3 times per day in small portions (about 1/2 cup) and any sweets/snack foods to just a couple times per week. Very quickly the cravings went away.
  • mrsjeffreyp
    mrsjeffreyp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to keep chocolate chips on hand.(the ones you bake with) When I get a craving, I pop A FEW in my mouth.
  • MakingItGreat
    MakingItGreat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I made no bake cookies with my chocolate meal replacement powder and honey instead of cocoa and sugar. it's still sweet, and still adds calories, but it's very satisfying. One is about 74 calories and I feel okay because I know I'm getting protein and nutrition from the powder, the PB and the oats. Alternatively, 4 hershey kisses is only 89 calories... I've got a thing with chocolate. If I can avoid it entirely then I'm fine but if I taste one single bite then I'm going to eat more than I should. the cookies are a safe option for me. Hope you find something that works for you!!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Buy small individual portions of good quality chocolate (I like to go by the Lindt or Godiva shops and pick out a few truffles, I can enjoy/splurge and stick to one piece for a treat). The quality over quantity helps!

Also, I like the Dark Chocolate Vitatops, they are 100 calories and have a good bit of protein and fiber. You can warm them in the microwave and they are great, with gooey chocolate bits. You can also "splurge" and squirt on some fat free Redi Whip and strawberries for a relatively decadent dessert under 150 cals!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Log it and eat it. I just ate a sugar-topped muffin.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if it's a bite, that's no problem at all, just log it. I ate plenty of chocolate and ice cream while losing 90 lbs.

If it's that you are having trouble limiting your calories because of it, think about when you are eating it and in what context. For me what worked was focusing on meals and allowing some really-worth-it sweets as a post-meal option on occasion, but not typically allowing snacks, especially not ones that would be eaten just because they are there.
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've never given up my sweet tooth only made substitutions. Like already said those individual packets of high quality chocolate. I get the individually wrapped Lindt or Ghiradelli in 70% or more and one or two squares is satisfying. Also, depending on your diet search out alternative desserts there's so many great food blogs with low cal low sugar or low carb dessert recipes.

Sugar free pudding is very satisfying or some hot cocoa made with almond milk. I see no reason to give up sweet things as long as they're made healthy and fit in to your calorie's for the day.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree log it and eat it. I had 2 chocolate chip cookies (160 calories) & 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream tonight (140 calories) and it was worth every bite! :)
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    How do you stop the sweet tooth? I can't seem to go one day with a bite of chocolate or mints. I need advise or some kind of alternative. I know its slowing my weight loss. Any info will help.

Why do you want to stop your sweet tooth? If you are counting calories and fit the sweet food into your daily allowance, you will continue to lose weight just fine.

If you are finding that you can't stop eating the sweets, even though they are kicking you over your daily calorie limit, then you might want to consider looking into binge eating and finding out what solutions are available.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit, fruit and some fruit.

Thawed (previously-frozen) fruit has an especially sweet taste.

I took a diet break and by Day Two, I was like, "No, I don't want this crap. I want my berries!" I really like them better than the candy and junk. :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of chocolate every day. It works for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate (minimum 72% cocoa)- 20 grammes for about 120 calories, allow a small chunk to melt in the center of your tongue and repeat

lasts a long time and completely fills that chocolate craving
  • affoster_81
    Options
    I will try that. Thanks
  • affoster_81
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    Buy small individual portions of good quality chocolate (I like to go by the Lindt or Godiva shops and pick out a few truffles, I can enjoy/splurge and stick to one piece for a treat). The quality over quantity helps!

Also, I like the Dark Chocolate Vitatops, they are 100 calories and have a good bit of protein and fiber. You can warm them in the microwave and they are great, with gooey chocolate bits. You can also "splurge" and squirt on some fat free Redi Whip and strawberries for a relatively decadent dessert under 150 cals!

• affoster_81
    Options
    Thank you!
  • affoster_81
    Options

Thank you
  • affoster_81
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Dark chocolate (minimum 72% cocoa)- 20 grammes for about 120 calories, allow a small chunk to melt in the center of your tongue and repeat

lasts a long time and completely fills that chocolate craving

I will try, thanks!
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    log it and eat it, i have my 9 dark chocolate hershey kisses every work day and i have leftover peanut butter balls and chocolate mint fudge in my freezer from christmas