Implanon, period and weight gain

Options
Hello!

So, I got the implanon contraceptive inserted mid November. I only got my first period following this on Saturday. On Friday morning my weight had dropped about .5kg since about Sunday. I weighed in on Monday and my weight has increased since that Sunday by about 2kg! I ate pizza over the weekend, but I also had been doing 400-600 cal burns everyday.

I know that water retention is normal at this stage in the month, but I've also been readkng the water retention is supposed to go away when your period starts. I definitely look bloated also. Before the implant, I never had any retention or bloating, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm scared to even get on the scales as I don't want to become unmotivated and disappointed.

Has anyone else with an implanon has anything similar happen? When should I weigh in next? I was thinking maybe when the physical signs of the bloating have disappeared??

Replies

• SwallowInTheOcean
    SwallowInTheOcean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had the implanon since july and have had spotting on my usual ovulation days and normal period every month (yay, two periods now? Shoot me). I haven't noticed a difference in water retention, but I have noticed I want chocolate more. As long as I control my calories and my salt intake I haven't had problems seeing a decrees on the scale. Drink all the water and weight in when you're feeling more like your not-so-bloated self.
  • xSuperNova
    xSuperNova Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had the implanon since july and have had spotting on my usual ovulation days and normal period every month (yay, two periods now? Shoot me). I haven't noticed a difference in water retention, but I have noticed I want chocolate more. As long as I control my calories and my salt intake I haven't had problems seeing a decrees on the scale. Drink all the water and weight in when you're feeling more like your not-so-bloated self.

Haha lucky you! I've been spotting every day since it's been in. Silly implanon
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    I did one round of implanon (3 years) and I found that during that time of the month whether I bled or not I retained more water than I did on other bc. To me it was worth it. It's by far been my fave method of long term bc. When I was on Implanon and when I go back one day I don't weigh period week. I skip it because I know I'm bloated and water weighty.
  • jessdthorn
    jessdthorn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had mine for six months. I bled heavily every day, I had horrible mood swings and I gained 15 pounds. Now that I am off of it, I feel better overall but haven't lost the weight yet. I just maintain. Less of an appetite while off of it.