learning to eat for fuel and not flavor

Options
I dont now how I am able to support others when I too have a weight/health issue. All I can offer here is a poitive attitude. I know I and we all can reach our goal. I need to change my thinking. I have never minded food that doesn't taste yummy but it sure is pleasant in more ways that I like to admit. This evening I signed up so tomorrow I can start. Lol tomorrow never comes

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    We eat to sustain life, but that doesn't mean we have to eat bland, tasteless, boring food. It really just boils down to controlling the total amount of calories you eat. If you consume your daily essentials in macros and micros and still have calories left to have ice cream, then it's OKAY to eat some. Just don't eat the whole container.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Food can be thought of as both, no? I struggled with binging on sweets and got fat. I'm trying to program myself that 1) I can find other things that also taste really good and are less fattening, 2) Don't eat if you're not hungry or fueling a workout, 3) I can have treats but need to limit if so it doesn't sabotage my goals and 4) everything doesn't have to taste like a gourmet meal; nutrition and workout needs are also important. It's hard but I'm sure you can do it. I've lost almost 50lbs (halfway to my dream weight, I think). Food used to be the be all, end all for me and my family. Recently, we've all started trying to make other things the focus and it's really worked.

Good Luck!
  • astrose00
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    We eat to sustain life, but that doesn't mean we have to eat bland, tasteless, boring food. It really just boils down to controlling the total amount of calories you eat. If you consume your daily essentials in macros and micros and still have calories left to have ice cream, then it's OKAY to eat some. Just don't eat the whole container.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree! And I will add that I have become really creative in making my healthy alternatives very tasty! Thank goodness for the Food Network, lol. I made the most delicious 300 calorie meal today. I wanted to slap myself, it was so good. And satisfying.
  • rcdimples
    Options
    rcdimples wrote: »
    I dont now how I am able to support others when I too have a weight/health issue. All I can offer here is a poitive attitude. I know I and we all can reach our goal. I need to change my thinking. I have never minded food that doesn't taste yummy but it sure is pleasant in more ways that I like to admit. This evening I signed up so tomorrow I can start. Lol tomorrow never comes
    astrose00 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree! And I will add that I have become really creative in making my healthy alternatives very tasty! Thank goodness for the Food Network, lol. I made the most delicious 300 calorie meal today. I wanted to slap myself, it was so good. And satisfying.

• rcdimples
    Options
    Thank you
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat for flavor and fuel? I sure do.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hey I need that recipe! But do I have to slap myself?

• astrose00
    Options
    Yawnetu wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hey I need that recipe! But do I have to slap myself?

Hehehe, you could get someone else to make it and then slap them! What I made was a total accident in a cast iron skillet. You would probably think it was gross... I made a dish with chicken gizzards and veggies and lots of spices. I'm sure some french or asian chef somewhere would be proud...
  • rcdimples
    Options
    Did the gizzards come out tender
  • astrose00
    Options
    Did the gizzards come out tender

Not fall apart tender but not rubbery. They have a firm, caramelized consistency because I sear them in the cast iron pan and then finish off in the oven. Really good. If you have ever had Cuban fried pork chunks... tastes kinna like that but way less calories and fat. I cut them into bite size pieces so they would cook evenly and have that caramelized texture all over.