strength training

Options
How does strength training come in to play? I have been logging it but it doesn't seem to have any calories burned listed. New to this so any insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• jadeseeque
    Options
    I've been trying to find the same, I googled and app you don't burn as many calories as cardio, I'm going to keep searching, but I do know that it helps with burning calories long after you have trained,
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You might not burn as many calories as cardio during, but your muscles will burn more calories up to 72 hours after the exercise as they repair/recover.

EDIT: Ah, you got there first Jade
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you look in cardio there is an activity 'strength training' which will give you a small boost to your daily calories.

Most of the weight-loss benefits of strength training are longer term in that you retain more muscle which uses more calories than the same weight of fat to maintain.

I think the strength part of the exercise page is more commonly used to track progress in weights and reps.
  • CharleeEekhoff
    CharleeEekhoff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the very same question :) I'm new to this site - within the last week! I logged my strength work out and it didn't give me any 'credit' :( I don't do any of my strength moves for a certain amount of minutes - just sets and reps. Keep us posted if you find anything more out! Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FitFroglet wrote: »
    If you look in cardio there is an activity 'strength training' which will give you a small boost to your daily calories.

Most of the weight-loss benefits of strength training are longer term in that you retain more muscle which uses more calories than the same weight of fat to maintain.

I think the strength part of the exercise page is more commonly used to track progress in weights and reps.

Yea, that.
  • atbxc
    atbxc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To see an estimate of how many calories you burn during a strength training session, see
    www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • louzeeanaman
    louzeeanaman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you hit the weights with a plan like ones on BodyBuilding.com where you only rest for "x" seconds between sets then I guarantee you that you will be getting in cardio with your strength training. And not only the long term burn but also the higher-heat short-term burn as well. Couple that with the fact that you are building a fat-burning machine when you lift weights by building muscle and you are way ahead of the cardio-only crowd.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good HRM. Try circuit-type lifting with little rest (10-30 seconds between sets) and even plyos between sets, if you're working hard enough your heart rate should be elevated during strength sessions. The EPOC from lifting will be hard to quantify but it's worth it.
  • juliejordan23
    juliejordan23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! It sounds like it is worth tracking regardless of calories tracked or not tracked. I have been pondering a fitbit. Pros? Con's? The clip on or a wrist one?
    Trying to really get the hang of this new lifestyle. I have been going to a gym for three years just have never tried to track what I do and compare it with food,etc.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I own the polar RC3. Great HR monitor. In personal experience if you're lifting heavy enough your heart rate with be around the same as LSS (long steady state cardio). Muscle improves your metabolism as it eats thru your calories.
  • FitCattitude
    FitCattitude Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is great, as is the V800.