how do you feel about personal trainers?

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I love my personal trainer. She pushes me, motivates me, and we've become great friends.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have found a great personal trainer but im wondering will it be worth the butt load of cash? I've heard varying opinions on the subject.

That depends entirely on who you are. Some people do better with one, some do better without one, some do the same either way.

Only you can answer the question for yourself. :drinker:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Was worth it for me. I don't have any money now for it, and honestly I think I don't have any money because I spent it all on my trainer. But she helped me get into the weight room, which has changed my life. So, worth it.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My trainer has been well worth every penny I have given him! I need the accountability I get from meeting with him twice a week. I've learned so much from him, and now have goals I am working towards that I never imagined I would have set for myself. I know for a fact, from past experience, that I would have given up a long time ago if I were trying to do this on my own.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wanted one to help me with exercise programs and doing the weights. They were much more interested in trying to show off their little bit of knowledge of the body, some of which they got wrong.

I tried them, but they aren't really helpful with the one thing I needed help with, so I quit. I just went to a sports medicine doctor and got some helpful advice. It cost more, but he knew what I wanted and gave it to me.

They should really focus more on the thing people hire them to do, IMO. What they do must be working for them, though.

Waste of my time and money.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I wanted one to help me with exercise programs and doing the weights. They were much more interested in trying to show off their little bit of knowledge of the body, some of which they got wrong.

I tried them, but they aren't really helpful with the one thing I needed help with, so I quit. I just went to a sports medicine doctor and got some helpful advice. It cost more, but he knew what I wanted and gave it to me.

They should really focus more on the thing people hire them to do, IMO. What they do must be working for them, though.

That's what a personal trainer does...
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What are you goals? Is the trainer you're looking for qualified to help you reach them?

Seriously. I have a sports-related goal. So, any help or coaching I get requires that the person be quite knowledgeable about that sport.

What you want is someone who really is very knowledgeable about your goal. If you can find that, yes, individualized help is totally worth it.
  • murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not necessary, unless you're completely unaware of how to exercise properly. I got the necessary information when I first started weight lifting through friends who lifted regularly. Once you get the concepts down, its easy. I'm sure if you wanted to, there are even youtube videos on how to lift properly.

What has worked best for me overall: alternate days of weight-lifting and cardio. On the weight-lifting days I would work out one major muscle group (e.g., legs; biceps and triceps; etc.), and on my cardio days I would do at least an hour of cardio.

I would also imagine if you were overweight, then start off with some basic cardio and light weight lifting. Then as your body changes, and you become more acquainted with the people at the gym, then it becomes easier to progress. The people at my gyms have always been wonderful resources.

Good luck!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Or they stand there and count reps. Or they upsell you on more training and other items for their employer, the gym. Or they tell you about cutting edge concepts like starvation mode and eating six small meals a day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Or they stand there and count reps. Or they upsell you on more training and other items for their employer, the gym. Or they tell you about cutting edge concepts like starvation mode and eating six small meals a day.

Not all trainers do that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Yes! I don't need muscle contraction explained, lol. I happen to know how it works, but even if i didn't, knowing it wouldn't help me with what i wanted.

I don't need nutrition help. I am not buying much less swallowing magic mystery pills. I find it frightening that he's swallowing them without understanding what is in them. Yikes!

Both wanted to breeze past the things I really wanted help with.

I guess people must like what they do or they wouldn't do it. Makes no sense to me.

I had to get a friend of a friend to show me things. I saw world-class equipment, I guess, but it was lost on me. I don't know enough to be impressed. But I got the simple, basic tips I was looking for. :)

And then my back and arms were SORE! I woke up like, "What the hell happened to me?" ;):)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It's gonna depend a lot on you and what you need/respond to. Also, a lot will depend on the trainer. Some are better than others.
    Personally, I just use the trainer at my gym. It's free. He asks me my goals and then sets me up with a routine, shows me how to do the new things, let leaves me alone to do it. It's up to me to do it. And it's up to me to push myself to go longer or harder or lift heavier. Then we meet about every six weeks for redesign purposes… but it's up to me to initiate that. It's exactly what works for me. I would get pissed off and would probably end up resenting it if I had to answer to someone.

And I love that he doesn't try to give me nutrition advice or to try to sell me on supplements or his personal philosophy on eating. He knows I am trying to lose weight, he told me that 80% of that will be done in the kitchen and encouraged me to go to MFP to figure out my calories. That was the extent of it.

I would never pay for a personal trainer when I have exactly what I want and what works best for me for free.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A personal trainer works great for me. The value-adds: (1) Assesses my true weaknesses as opposed to my perceived ones, (2) Creates a variety of workouts targeting those, aligned with my goals, (3) Helps me perform exercises with good form so I don't spend months on the bench with injuries, (4) Pushes me harder than I ever would on my own. Highly recommended.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was never interested in a PT until my gym got a new instructor and she started working with a few of us at a time on little classes. I now use her as a PT for 45 minutes on a Monday and Tuesday every week. She pushes me to do things I didn't think I could do and although I haven't lost a tonne of weight in the last year, my body shape is dramatically different.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Every personal trainer I've had any dealings with has had an overinflated sense of self worth.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have medical issues, and my personal trainer is worth it for me, helping me work around them and with them. He's also been fabulous assessing my weaknesses and coming up with various routines to help work my whole body while trying to bring it more into balance. Worth every penny.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few, learn the basics and cut them loose. Alternately, spend the cash.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I agree. Hence the "or". :) The "that's what a PT does" (i.e., helps with programs) remark seemed to suggest they all are helpful and knowledgeable.

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have had two really great personal trainers in my lifetime. I'm planning to go back to one for a few sessions because I'm about to start the SL 5x5 program on my own at the gym. My goal is to make sure I have my form down so that I don't hurt myself and that I feel confident in the power rack.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I agree. Hence the "or". :) The "that's what a PT does" (i.e., helps with programs) remark seemed to suggest they all are helpful and knowledgeable.

I would agree they are not all helpful, because not all are in the best interest of the client, as it is in any business.