Measuring Up

Options
This may sound silly - but how and where do you measure yourself to get an accurate waist measurement?

I'm in 34" waist trousers, however when I try to measure my waist I get anywhere from 38-40" - which doesn't make sense. And that's around the waistband of my trousers, well, where they would be if they were on of course.

Sorry if it seems a daft question :)

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    BodyFrontView3(1).jpg

Does that help?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I assure you your 34" trousers aren't actually 34", vanity sizing is norm.
    I never had much luck with a tape measure, maybe just measure 3 times and take an average then just use that number, aslong as it's going down it doesn't matter exactly what the number says surely.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There are 2 waist measurements: narrowest point and at naval

I always go for the narrowest point
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Are you wondering how to get a consistent measurement? I have always had a definite waist, even when I was big, so that wasn't a problem, but legs and arms can show an inch difference on the same day...I measure from some set point on my body...meaning, thigh measurements are taken seven inches from the middle of my kneecap. Maybe measure up or down from your belly button?

As far as when...always first thing in the morning, because that is when your body is least effected by other factors.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For dress pants, you should measure at the navel. (And yes, that is where you are supposed to wear them.) For jeans and casual pants, people normally wear them at their "real waist", so they can usually be a little smaller.