HELP! Need Weight Loss Tips that actually Work. Success Stories greatly appreciated!

Options
124»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You haven't lost weight because you've been eating too many calories. Period.

Either your logging is innacurate (which i can see being the case as most measurements are .8 or .9 of a full container) or you're calorie goal is too high.

For someone of your height The ideal weight range is 110-140 pounds. That means you are currently 100 pounds overweight. As your BMI is currently in the "Morbid Obesity" range you should be able to safely lose 1% of your bodyweight per week. Or 2.4 pounds safely.

The numbers are as follows=
    BMR= 1,824
    If sedentary TDEE= 2280
    Suggested calorie goal for 2 pounds per week= 1280

Your diary seems to show you eating right at or above (~2300) your maintenance calories most days so it doesn't seem surprising that you haven't experienced any weight loss.

My suggestion to you would be to change you calorie goal. If you can't handle (psychologically & physically) the large deficit maybe set your goal to 14-1500-ish calories.

Next i would buy a weeks worth of food and pre-log everything you intend to eat for that week. So, for the entire week you know what you're eating for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts, etc. and exactly how many calories you'll be eating.

This way you're less tempted to be out and about and grab something on the go. You'll also be able to see "Okay, i had this logged for lunch but if i grab this instead it'll put me over my calorie goal". It will also be easier to weigh everything or measure everything once and put it in tupperware/ziplocs/etc. then trying to measure and guess every single day.

Lastly, I would be cautious about eating back your exercise calories as it seems whatever you are using to measure them is inaccurate.

So, lower calorie goal, eat less, track consistently (every single day stay within your calorie goal), exercise, and it should start falling off! good luck!
  • richjones1968
    Options
    Your exercise needs adjusting down by at least 60%; the calorie burn for your walking is set way too high - I wouldn't expect to burn at that rate on a really hard run - and don't eat back the extra calories - others may if they do 22 mile runs but that`s an altogether different level.

You`ve got to look at what you`re eating - start with the snacking and limit yourself to one high calorie snack a day - save the snack as a reward for later in the day so that you have something to look forward to and focus on - every time you feel like eating it early drink a large glass of water instead.
    Once you`re used to this cut the high value snack back further - to only on days when you've exercised for at least 20-30 minutes.

Second change would be breakfast - start the day with something for 300-400 calories but not a croissant and chocolate spread; you've get to get used to healthier choices - wholegrain cereals, porridge, scrambled eggs (one of these a day, not all).

Then look to lunch/dinner portion sizes and also cut out all the other little treats.

Remember - if you don't get used to changing your daily food type you are probably not going to lose weight and even if you do, the moment you stop counting you've got every ingredient in your day to pile the pounds straight back on - the classic reason for a yo-yo diet.

Ideally make the decision that today is the first day of the new you and cut out all the treats except one small one a day _ and don`t have any others lying around the house or within easy reach. If this is too drastic build the changes in over weeks but realise that this will seriously delay the results you want. Whichever way you do it you have to have a plan.

Best of luck whatever you do.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You haven't lost weight because you've been eating too many calories. Period.

Either your logging is innacurate (which i can see being the case as most measurements are .8 or .9 of a full container) or you're calorie goal is too high.

For someone of your height The ideal weight range is 110-140 pounds. That means you are currently 100 pounds overweight. As your BMI is currently in the "Morbid Obesity" range you should be able to safely lose 1% of your bodyweight per week. Or 2.4 pounds safely.

The numbers are as follows=
    BMR= 1,824
    If sedentary TDEE= 2280
    Suggested calorie goal for 2 pounds per week= 1280

Your diary seems to show you eating right at or above (~2300) your maintenance calories most days so it doesn't seem surprising that you haven't experienced any weight loss.

My suggestion to you would be to change you calorie goal. If you can't handle (psychologically & physically) the large deficit maybe set your goal to 14-1500-ish calories.

Next i would buy a weeks worth of food and pre-log everything you intend to eat for that week. So, for the entire week you know what you're eating for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts, etc. and exactly how many calories you'll be eating.

This way you're less tempted to be out and about and grab something on the go. You'll also be able to see "Okay, i had this logged for lunch but if i grab this instead it'll put me over my calorie goal". It will also be easier to weigh everything or measure everything once and put it in tupperware/ziplocs/etc. then trying to measure and guess every single day.

Lastly, I would be cautious about eating back your exercise calories as it seems whatever you are using to measure them is inaccurate.

So, lower calorie goal, eat less, track consistently (every single day stay within your calorie goal), exercise, and it should start falling off! good luck!

Nice, balanced advice here, and this is basically what I did to lose 65-70 lbs. You've already figured out the logging and food weighing part (yeah! for you), so maybe just focus on getting yourself into a deficit and you'll see the weight start to come off.

What worked for me: pre-logging my meals (either several days before, the day before or as soon as I got up), weighed myself every day but only worried about the long-term trend, and religiously ate at or slightly below my calorie target. I still do these 3 things in maintenance (OK maybe not so religiously over the holidays..).

Also, while losing I did not eating back exercise calories (I only did a walk every day and that was several months in - so I didn't do anything vigorous) and I had a pretty big calorie deficit to start with (ignorance on my part, but I had a lot to lose so no harm done), which I gradually increased as I approached my target.

Whether you track carbs, protein, sugar, fat, sodium etc. is purely personal/medical preference, but with fewer calories to play with while you are losing, you may well find that you prefer more filling foods anyway.

Good luck!!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It looks like your general settings are for very slow weight loss (I plugged your stats in calorieking and it says 1-2 lb loss is 1650 to 1850 calories a day). At your weight, you could lose at 1.5-2 lbs per week. It looks like you're eating back 100-110% of your exercise calories. It also looks like your exercise calories are overestimated.

Custom Walk 20 minutes 380 calories.
    380 calories is how many you'd more likely burn in a full hour.

You have two ways of fixing this. Either set your goal to 2 lbs a week loss. The deficit will be larger, but the error in logging will even it out to a nice .5-1 lb loss per week. Alternately, start lowering your calorie burn estimates.

Edited to add: I'm down from 215 lbs to 153 lbs (62 lbs lost).
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I cant tell you what to do but I can tell you what's worked for me so far.

I started at 308lbs 5'3 and a size 26. Im currently 186lbs and a size 14/16.

I started at 2100 calories per day which I now believe was too low for me at the time (live and learn ey). I am still eating 2000 NET a day and losing weight, so don't automatically believe those who say you need to eat less. You should not need less than 2000 if you are 17 stone.

Invest in a food scale and weigh all food that has not come pre packaged in individual servings. It surprising how much you can be wrong by guessing how much a serving is.

Don't cut out the foods you like. Cut down by all means but learn how to eat them in moderation if you can. It'll keep your morale up and help keep those cravings at bay. I set a few hundred calories aside each day in order to treat myself. I keeps me in check the rest of the day knowing ive got something really nice to look forward to later.

Don't let your 'diet' run your life. If you have a special celebration or event don't sit there miserably poking at a salad while others enjoy the yummies. Eat the food, savour it and begin afresh the next day. One bad day will NOT destroy all your hard work. (I went to an award evening last week where there was free food and champagne, all really nice food, but everyone else was too worried about their waistline to enjoy it....I mean wtf?)

Find exercise you enjoy doing. Nothing worse than trying to motivate yourself to do something you hate. And don't overdo it. Build yourself up to the fitness level you want slowly. Set small fitness goals such as increasing workout time by 5-10 mins every week or two, or upping the intensity a bit.

Surround yourself with like minded people on the mfp forum. I used to add anyone who tried to befriend me. I soon got bored of seeing people eat less than 1000 a day and wonder why they are hungry/tired/binging etc. I have no time for people who don't eat.

Your losses wont be linear. You may go 3 weeks with no loss even though you've been really good. Then suddenly you'll lose 3lbs overnight.

Once you settle into it and find your own routine don't worry about what others are doing. There'll always be those who tell you to avoid carbs, don't eat after 6pm, try water fasting etc etc as its worked for them. But so long as your happy with what your doing and how its going keep on trucking along on your own path :)

• jaj5371
    Options
    It is great that you are working so hard with all the measuring and weighing. Drink water as much as you can and that might help. I got some of the flavorings for water and they seem to help we when I want something sweet. I can also carry a water bottle with me as well as the flavorings. Sometimes you don't realize you are just thirsty and not really hungry. Good luck.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    my tips - reduce your calorie intake a little more (I'd aim for 1500). Don't trust MFP or the treadmills calorie counts - you probably aren't burning 1000 calories in exercise (sadly). I wouldn't eat your exercise calories back either. I wouldn't stress overly much about macronutrients at this stage although others are suggesting as much. You need to just focus on achieving a moderate caloric deficit.

The hard part is limiting calories so try and do these things
    - drink water if you feel hungry or bored
    - eat slow, chew lots, enjoy your food, don't eat in front of the tv (eat mindfully)
    - switch whatever you can to lower calorie alternatives (eg full cream to skim)
    - if you eat due to boredom, find other things to do to distract you

This is pretty much what I would have written if I had chimed in sooner...

(I've *only* lost ~55 lbs but am currently at goal.)

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    lemur_lady wrote: »
    I am still eating 2000 NET a day and losing weight, so don't automatically believe those who say you need to eat less.

I'm curious as to what you propose she do then? She's clearly not losing on this amount so how would she begin to lose weight without lowering her calories?

• SCMclaughlin
    Options
    I am older and therefore have a slower metabolism than most. I began by limiting my calories according to MFP standards. I initially cut out all red meat, all sugar, caffeine and soda. BIG CUTS, but I went cold turkey and after a week it wasn't all that hard. I started a daily work out program - treadmill and strength - alternating programs every other day. After about 2 mos, I started walking in 5K's. Then I began to run. Weight literally began to fall off. I found myself getting toned everywhere. I lost 55lbs in 5 mos, and now I'm on to losing another 30. I didn't start until I was 57 years old. You are so wise to begin now and make changes, but you have to want it. Sacrifice sucks, but the only way to achieve your goals is to watch your intake, carbs, sugars, and get moving. If I can do it, ANYONE can!
  • lemur_lady
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I am still eating 2000 NET a day and losing weight, so don't automatically believe those who say you need to eat less.

I'm curious as to what you propose she do then? She's clearly not losing on this amount so how would she begin to lose weight without lowering her calories?

She was thinking that she was eating 2000 but was obviously waaay overestimating her calorie burn. If she calculates it properly then 2000 a day should be a suitable amount.

I have mfp friends who maintain on 2300+ NET a day who are quite petite. The OP should be able to lose on 2000

People on this site just seem to obsess over cutting calories first instead of sorting out other possible issues such as not weighing food or overestimating burn.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals and Guys,

Hope you're all doing well and reaching those health and fitness goals. :)

I just wanted to reach out to anybody who has experienced REAL WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS the natural way, and pick your brains into what really works.

I have been logging all of my food and drink intake on MFP religiously since the start of November 2014, but have had NO success whatsoever in losing weight.

I have done endless amounts of research into weight loss plateaus, but thought I would look to MFP members and ask you to kindly share any helpful weight loss tips with me. My body seems to be at a complete halt and does not want to shift ANY of the weight, it's so frustrating, especially when I am going to great lengths to try and lose.

I have bought a smoothie blender, kitchen scales, measuring cups and spoons to record my food/drink intake as accurately as possible, as well as a calorie counter watch that I use to record exercise calories burned.

Here are my details:

Sex: Female
    Height: 5 ft 6 inches
    Weight: 17 stone 2 llbs
    Lifestyle (according to MFP): Sedentary

Any realistic health and fitness tips, advice or success stories would be much appreciated.

Need your help!

Thanks,

Dawn x

Was fat my entire life up until I was 40, lost a lot of weight, and got to an overweight place, no longer obese.

Two years ago at age 51, started using the MFP tools and lost 44 pounds in a year, and got down to a normal weight in a healthy BMI, and I've been maintaining for a year.

The BEST weight loss tip I can give you is to eat less calories than you burn. How you get to that place is individual. I got there by moderation in all foods excepts those I don't like or that I am intolerant to (lactose, soy). I do weight lift and run, but exercise is not necessary for weight loss.

Good luck!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

She was thinking that she was eating 2000 but was obviously waaay overestimating her calorie burn. If she calculates it properly then 2000 a day should be a suitable amount.

I have mfp friends who maintain on 2300+ NET a day who are quite petite. The OP should be able to lose on 2000

People on this site just seem to obsess over cutting calories first instead of sorting out other possible issues such as not weighing food or overestimating burn.

She's been overeating virtually every day. Yes, of course she should weigh her food and adjust her calorie burns but the bottom line is that she is going to have to eat less than she is now. You and your friends have figured out what works for you. My TDEE on a good day is less than 2300. I would not lose weight on that kind of calorie intake. I barely lose it eating around 1400-1500. Clearly the amount she is eating hasn't resulted in a loss, so something has to give.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I agree that as your diary shows, you are eating too much to meet your goals. :(

Yep. Those calorie counts are WAY overestimated. That, plus the fact that she goes over calorie goals quite often, is killing any possible deficit.

Dawn,

I would suggest that you not eat all those exercise calories back and that you work very hard not to go over your calorie goals. Weigh your food and log it. Try not to use measuring cups, spoons, eyeballs, but use weight for solids and measuring cups for liquids.
  • lemur_lady
    Options

She's been overeating virtually every day. Yes, of course she should weigh her food and adjust her calorie burns but the bottom line is that she is going to have to eat less than she is now. You and your friends have figured out what works for you. My TDEE on a good day is less than 2300. I would not lose weight on that kind of calorie intake. I barely lose it eating around 1400-1500. Clearly the amount she is eating hasn't resulted in a loss, so something has to give.

The OP is quite young and tall ish for a girl. At 17stone I would hazard her maintainence is quite above 2000.

I had a look at her diary. Some days she was eating nearly 3000 and estimating her burn at 800+ calories. She was way over goal a lot. Understandable with it being Christmas.

I just think the estimation needs to be corrected and she needs to be consistent in staying at her goal before she restrict calories perhaps needlessly.