Open your diary and we'll try and help!
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    gotolam wrote: »
    lesleyta wrote: »
    I'd wait a couple more weeks and weigh yourself then, and I expect you'll see the number on the scale go down. One week isn't that long really. I usually only weigh myself once a month.

I wish I was like that - I'm a daily weigher! But take my official weight weekly.

For what it's worth, people who weigh daily tend to lose weight more quickly. Or people who lose weight more quickly tend to weigh more frequently. It isn't clear which it is.
    Where did you get that "fact" from?

Seriously, right? Random statement with no backup. Secondly, it's not about losing weight quickly. It's about losing it and KEEPING it off. Weighing daily is the habit of chronic dieters - people who clearly are not able to KEEP weight off.

lol @Random statement with no backup about random statement with no backup. Weighing daily could perhaps be the habit of chronic maintainers as well.

She never made a claim. If you have anything to support the original users claim them feel free to share instead of just being a WK.

She didn't definitively say "Weighing daily is the habit of chronic dieters - people who clearly are not able to KEEP weight off." ???

Ok.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'd wait a couple more weeks and weigh yourself then, and I expect you'll see the number on the scale go down. One week isn't that long really. I usually only weigh myself once a month.

I wish I was like that - I'm a daily weigher! But take my official weight weekly.

For what it's worth, people who weigh daily tend to lose weight more quickly. Or people who lose weight more quickly tend to weigh more frequently. It isn't clear which it is.

Seriously, right? Random statement with no backup. Secondly, it's not about losing weight quickly. It's about losing it and KEEPING it off. Weighing daily is the habit of chronic dieters - people who clearly are not able to KEEP weight off.

lol @Random statement with no backup about random statement with no backup. Weighing daily could perhaps be the habit of chronic maintainers as well.

It could be a habit of a chronic maintainer, you're correct. I should have elaborated: Daily weighing without being able to remove judgement from what number the scale gives you is not going to help anyone. There ARE people who can weigh daily, see that they've gone up a pound or two overnight, but shrug and can not go nuts the next day eating 1000 calories because they think they truly gained 2 pounds of fat. Really what it comes down to is what your thought process is and how you respond to the number on the scale.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said... Plus a similar situation to make you feel better (I hope). ;)

My husband seems to have the exact issue that you mentioned--I have no idea why, but it goes like this:

We've been trucking along, following our diet, eating treats in moderation, yadda yadda yadda.... Then a really special occasion comes up. (We don't overindulge on small occasions, we usually save the "eat whatever you want and forget the calories for today" for really special ones, kind of like you did with Christmas, I guess?) On this special occasion, say we were to eat some huge amount and gain several pounds.

Now, for me, my weight starts coming back off as usual. Not a huge drop, not a stall, just things back to normal as soon as I've started to log. Maybe a slightly larger initial drop from water weight.

But for my husband, he just seems to... Stick. His weight won't move at all for an entire month sometimes... Then it just starts moving again like nothing happened. Sometimes he'll just drop an entire two pounds in one go (his deficit is very small--For less than half a pound a week--so two pounds is a lot!).

It's just anecdotal, but it matches up with your story, so... Cheer up! Keep doing what you're doing and don't do anything dumb ;)... The weight will start coming off again. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come. Remember that back to exercise, means back to retaining water at first.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

just wanted to add this link too....it's one of my faves!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

She never made a claim. If you have anything to support the original users claim them feel free to share instead of just being a WK.

She didn't definitively say "Weighing daily is the habit of chronic dieters - people who clearly are not able to KEEP weight off." ???

Ok.

Awwww. Look at you, you got upset with me and flagged my post. Adorable.

off topic but..
    I was wondering how you knew you'd got your post flagged?? I have had mine flagged in the past as 'abuse' but I never knew what I'd said wrong or which post it had happened on etc.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    deleted
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. I'd consider myself lucky if I saw a loss the first week.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Your problem is all in the title.

There is no perfect equation that equals a perfect/perfectly timed result in weight loss.

You know how everyone is always talking about how weight loss / getting fit CHANGED them, it made them more patient, more tolerant, more determined to get past obstacles without taking shortcuts, more adaptable, more inventive, better problem solvers... etc.

Do you think those changes happen as you are preparing cute little meals for work?
    Do you think they happen when you are celebrating a standard 1.25 scheduled loss each week?
    Do you think they happen when you put green things in your grocery cart?

or

Do you think they happen when you are sitting there at your wits end, wringing your hands and crying so hard that your face is just puffy and swollen and leaking and gross, and you dont know why you even try and nothing works and you just cant do it anymore and can we just stay invisible and fluffy and not matter and hate ourselves and totally give up.... and then not give up.

Because tomorrow is a new day.

This isnt just about the scale. Each tough day, each awful moment, each frustrating set back - that's where the real victories are shaping the character of the person you are evolving to be.

That is where things like self worth and determination are born. Not when you reach your goal weight. No one hands you a great self image when you reach a magic number.

it's made through alchemy during trial by fire.

Embrace those set backs, because they are the way forward.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Well. If you aren't losing weight over a few weeks, you aren't being 'perfect'. and honestly, there is no 'perfect'.
    If you aren't losing weight, rethink your system. you might be overcalculating your calorie burn (make sure you are using a good heart rate monitor with a chest strap). Are you weighing all of your solid foods with a digital food scale, and entering the values yourself, not using others' entries?
    Those two things are a good place to start. Also, read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • yoovie
    Options

why would we be trying to do this quickly? :o:o:o:o:o

-flushes scale battery so I dont tend to lose weight faster-
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but then I log it in to TrendWeight.com. TrendWeight has been a lifesaver for me. Even on the days the scale is up, I can still go back and look at the trending history and know that everything is just fine. Green Arrows=Good / Red Arrows=Bad <---It's Grant-proof. :)
  • yoovie
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    If you went from losing 1.5 lbs/week to regaining 10 lbs in a month or so, your diet plan isn't sustainable.

It sounds like you're in a pretty classic yo-yo diet pattern. Set your target to something more reasonable. One way to know it's sustainable is that you don't get impatient, and you're not tempted to binge.

to me it sounds like normal holiday backsliding, which almost everyone has been through and those of us in maintenance go through yearly. whether it's one pound or 20.

I dont think you went from losing 1.5 pounds a week to gaining 10 because your diet wasnt sustainable. I think it happened because christmas is an out of the ordinary week and things get thrown off.

You cant say that a diet isnt sustainable or that a system doesnt work, just because it didnt work while you werent doing it lol.

life is back to normal now and youve already jumped back in, OP - good job. Have faith in the process.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I put on a few pounds over the Holidays. It took me about 2-3 weeks for it to start going (ignoring all the fluctuations), but when I returned to my pre-Holiday habits it DID go.

If you were losing the weight before, and you're doing the same thing now as you did then, it'll go.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    zarckon wrote: »
    If you went from losing 1.5 lbs/week to regaining 10 lbs in a month or so, your diet plan isn't sustainable.

It sounds like you're in a pretty classic yo-yo diet pattern. Set your target to something more reasonable. One way to know it's sustainable is that you don't get impatient, and you're not tempted to binge.

to me it sounds like normal holiday backsliding, which almost everyone has been through and those of us in maintenance go through yearly. whether it's one pound or 20.

I dont think you went from losing 1.5 pounds a week to gaining 10 because your diet wasnt sustainable. I think it happened because christmas is an out of the ordinary week and things get thrown off.

You cant say that a diet isnt sustainable or that a system doesnt work, just because it didnt work while you werent doing it lol.

life is back to normal now and youve already jumped back in, OP - good job. Have faith in the process.

I really like this. We are so quick to say what someone is doing is not sustainable. But clearly for the OP, it was for 5 months, then as Yoovie said she probably experienced normal holiday backsliding.

OP: keep it up, stay the course, be patient.
  • yoovie
    Options

Ok.

Awwww. Look at you, you got upset with me and flagged my post. Adorable.

off topic but..
    I was wondering how you knew you'd got your post flagged?? I have had mine flagged in the past as 'abuse' but I never knew what I'd said wrong or which post it had happened on etc.

You don't have to say anything wrong. People use it for whatever they want. If they simply disagree with you, they don't like you, the are flagging you to try and get you banned. Me personally, I have a couple of ladies in the same group that chase me around flagging me because they . It's cute. It's like they're crushing.

pulls your hair

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Continue your good habits and your body will catch up with you. The body is pretty bad at responding for our need for instant gratification. After all, eating provides instant pleasure. But weight loss responds much more slowly. It's a catch-up game and you will begin to drop.