The Daniel Fast

Options
Does anyone have any experience tracking calories while on The Daniel Fast? I am participating with my church family in 21 days of basically no meat, dairy, bread, sugar.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you're going to call it the Daniel Fast you might also want to skip the shellfish and pork.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Why would it be any different than tracking calories on a regular diet? If you eat something, you log it, right?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This just seems to be another miracle fad. One pops up just about every week :(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Tracking calories is tracking calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    So, essentially, just vegetables? I would say you log everything like normal.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Basically vegan. Good luck with it.
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    You just... do it
  • danniinw
    Options
    I did a Daniel fast with my church last year, only we were able to give up anything we wanted for 21 days. This is how I gave up facebook, at the end of it I completely deleted my account.

I would log as usual, but if you are worried about food, perhaps you could nominate something else to 'fast' from.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

My guess is that this is a religious thing not a diet thing
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

oh ok. Yeah, I was wondering about the church references......

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Exactly. The OP was only asking about how to log it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the question, are you asking how many calories you should be consuming during the Fast? Otherwise, you'd just log what you ate as normal...
  • candysleirer
    candysleirer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ok I left the s off experience. I was wanting anyone who has done the fast to share their experiences. Like did you find it hard to met your calorie goal eating only fruit, veggies and beans? Just in general how people who had done it found it compared to regular low calorie.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    ok I left the s off experience. I was wanting anyone who has done the fast to share their experiences. Like did you find it hard to met your calorie goal eating only fruit, veggies and beans? Just in general how people who had done it found it compared to regular low calorie.

Ok, I have not done the Daniel Fast, but I am vegan. I don't find it hard to meet my calorie goal at all, most days I have to stop myself from eating to prevent going over. If you find yourself lacking, add in some calorie dense foods like nut butters, avocado, oils (can you use oil?) on your salad etc. Beans are pretty calorie dense too. I wish you luck, you may find you love it and want to make it a lifestyle!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A fast is supposed to be hard. As in not eating during it. Eating is not fasting. Why do you have to eat only fruit, veggies and beans?
  • candysleirer
    Options
    danniinw and Laurend224, thanks for your "experiences"
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have never done the Daniel Fast, but it sounds a lot like a vegetarian Whole30. There are a lot of great recipes I have found at the following two websites:

This one is good if you have a mandolin or spiralizer. If you don't, it might be able to at least give you some good ideas.
    http://www.inspiralized.com/category/paleo/

This one you can sift through for some good recipes and make substitutions, or even just eliminate the meat where necessary:
    http://onceamonthmeals.com/menus/paleo/

It's amazing how creative you can get with the ingredients available to you.
  • candysleirer
    Options
    The Daniel Fast is a fast that Daniel did in the Bible. My entire church is doing this fast in conjunction with 21 days of prayer. I was only asking for others to share their experiences while doing this. I am really kind of wishing I hadn't said anything about it at all.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The Daniel Fast is a fast that Daniel did in the Bible. My entire church is doing this fast in conjunction with 21 days of prayer. I was only asking for others to share their experiences while doing this. I am really kind of wishing I hadn't said anything about it at all.

I think it's a great idea. It would be great leading into a study of the Book of Daniel.