How to make tuna taste nice?

Replies

• Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    I always mix in avocado, lime juice, some cayenne pepper, the white of a hardboiled egg and finely chopped celery. You can add hot sauce to it to spice it up, some of the lime zest, some plain Greek yogurt and wrap in a lettuce leaf for a tasty (and healthy) protein packed lunch option.
  • take it to dinner. OO I had to :)
  • geraint125
    geraint125 Posts: 20 Member
    Big dollop of 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt mixed with a tsp tip of English Mustard (Not Dijon). Mix in with the tuna (canned) and it tastes like Tuna Mayo but with a fraction of the calories. Another thing I do is I mix it with a little (45g) of Philadelphia "Lightest" melted in a Tbsp of skimmed milk. Add this gently to the canned tuna with some finely chopped onion which can then be put in a Baked Potato or just on some salad :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    In addition to some of the ideas above, you could also make a curry. Chop up an onion, sauté it in vegetable oil with some minced garlic and ginger root until soft, add the tuna and some curry powder to taste, possibly a bit of Cayenne pepper too (or a sliced chili pepper), and then serve over your jacket potato or with rice. I make a version of this dish fairly often.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    edited January 2015
    Toast a Slimwich sandwich bun. Mix mayo, tomato basil pesto, and hot, hot sauce and spread on toast. Dice some pickled jalapeno to like pickle relish consistency, add chopped onion and spread on mayo. Top each toast with half of a drained 4 ounce can of tuna in oil. Makes two open face, flavor packed, filling, and satisfying sandwiches for less than 375 calories :) Of course, bacon works, too :wink:
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Just enough mayo to make this spreadable, 2 large eggs (or egg whites), one 8-inch stalk of finely chopped celery, salt, pepper, garlic powder (to suit). This is tuna salad at it's finest...and it is good right away but better after a couple of hours to allow for the seasonings to blend in.

The mayo is the high-calorie item...I have not found a reasonable substitute for it yet.
    Low fat mayo tastes icky to me.
    Plain or Greek Yogurt is NOT A SUBSTITUTE!

Sooo...when it comes to tuna salad, my motto is: Suck it up and count the calories...or sacrifice the flavor and enjoyment.
  • I drown it in vinegar and eat straight from the can.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I eat mine straight out of the can with a fork. Cento or tonno brand.
  • kugler93
    kugler93 Posts: 8 Member
    1-2 tbsp of light hellmens mayo and on either whole wheat Arnold bread or WW ritz crackers(5)
  • Mix with about 2 tbsp of Dijonnaise.

• into_fitness
    into_fitness Posts: 91 Member
    I use to make mine with a bit of mayo, chopped onions, garlic powder, celery, and black pepper! Now since I am eating healthier and don't want to have the mayo I make it with avocado! It tastes so good I think!
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    I eat mine with avocado and some mustard.

I do this too, but add boiled egg to it too. Sometimes I eat it with whole grain crackers.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    I eat mine with a tbsp of mayo and olives. Sometimes just by itself or on crackers.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    I usually put in 1/2 tbsp of mayo and 1/2 tbsp of mustard relish (or somewhere around there) for every 2 oz of tuna. And I either eat it just like that, or as a sandwich or wrap with some lettuce.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    I want everyone to be careful of the fish they eat. Fish is supposed to taste fishy. If your fish isn't fishy, what are you eating? Are you eating farm raised fish? Fish farms produce supermarket protein with high concentrations of antibiotics, pesticides and lower levels of healthy nutrients.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    few squeezes of lemon juice, garlic salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Great topping for a salad.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    If you want it to taste "nice," you should probably teach it some manners and how to politely converse with strangers.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    A touch of mayo, squirt of yellow mustard, curry powder, paprika, cayenne powder, lemon or lime juice.
  • fruitysky
    fruitysky Posts: 30 Member
    I like to saute mine in some lemon juice and then pepper it heavily; it makes it taste awesome. I too hate that fishy taste.
    Or I will mix it with brown rice, sauteed veggies and a homemade sweet and sour sauce, also very yummy.