NSV: Women, Can You Do A Pullup?

Replies

• This is one of my goals for the year too! I am 50 (soon to be 51). It's great to hear everyone's comments. I am using Scooby's progression and it is going very slowly. I'll be happy with one by the end of the year but hopefully it will take less time!

Good on you OP! We can all be the over 50 pull-up team!!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    I can do almost 10 unassisted pullups for almost a year now (when I was 42... now 43). I was about 145 lbs when I built up to 5. Now I weigh 130 and can do almost ten (would be more but had a shoulder injury and had to start over after rehabbing). Instead of trying to do more of them now, I am playing with a 12 pound weighted vest and building back up to 10 while wearing it.

Go for it! Best advice I have it get a pullup bar for your house, start by jumping up as high as you can and pull the rest and lower slowly (or start with a chair at the top and just lower). But the main thing is to do it OFTEN - every time you go through that doorway, try one or two! Within a few weeks you will be surprised how far you have come.

They also make a strap called the "perfect pullup" that "assists" you on the doorway pullup bar at home, with a few different resistance bands you can progressive get less assistance. I used for 2 weeks and returned, as that is all it took to do one on my own :)

Also what really helped - someone told me not to think of it as pulling yourself up, but driving your elbows down. Just a mind game, but helps you isolate the right muscles (instead of your biceps, use your back).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    No, cannot do it. I'm arthritic. I think my elbows would pop right out of my arms lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    LCloops wrote: »
    /\ You go girl... I have heard the Tough Mudder and Muddy Buddies are fun but incredibly grueling... lots of walls to climb... just makes me tired thinking about it and yes pull-ups and chin-ups would be required :)

lolol trust me, the walls are pretty much a rest area compared to the rest of the course.

ever climbed 40 feet of rope covered in bog mud to be shot through fire?
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    yoovie wrote: »

Oh Oh Oh! Pick me! I want to do that!!!!!!

• mebohan
    mebohan Posts: 46 Member
    bump
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    LCloops wrote: »
    /\ You go girl... I have heard the Tough Mudder and Muddy Buddies are fun but incredibly grueling... lots of walls to climb... just makes me tired thinking about it and yes pull-ups and chin-ups would be required :)

lolol trust me, the walls are pretty much a rest area compared to the rest of the course.

No and I so want to... but the whiner in me keeps arguing with the tough girl in me, whiner wins most of the time Ha.. ...the Spartan keeps emailing me so I may just have to let the tough girl win... but not until I can do a few pull ups seriously ;)

• JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    aylajane wrote: »

Oh Oh Oh! Pick me! I want to do that!!!!!!
    You are too cute...:) Here in the office we were all to do a Muddy buddy a few years back, here in Denver, I bowed out as I wanted to be able to complete it... one of my co workers broke her leg fell from the wall ouch... so do be careful...it's fun...it's rough but like Clint says "A man's (or woman's) got to know their limitations." :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Chin up, yes, pull up, no. But I am determined to get there.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    I can do several. I'm 5'5" and currently 133 lbs (at the end of my bulk). I think negatives are the most effective for pull-up training. I never trained pull-ups, but I do aerial circus arts, and in silks you are doing holds constantly. There's also a lot of pulling needed (like the vertical pulls or half pulls demonstrated in the videos above). After a while of this type of training, I was suddenly able to knock out some pull-ups. Depending on the hand grip, I can also do them weighted.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    ETA: I'm 38, but I'll be 39 in less than a month. :D
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    That is my goal by the end of the year!
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    That is my goal by the end of the year!

Mine too!! We can do it! Work hard, eyes on the prize! I love having this goal instead of a weight goal. It feels like I have more control over it. Weight is just a number, but a pull up means you're strong!

• erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    I've been doing negatives. My goal is to be able to do one by my next birthday. That is 5 months from now. Hopefully you reach your goal!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    AlMonkey wrote: »
    I can do 2 chin-ups (uses the arms more so it's easier). I got there by lifting (Pendlay and barbell rows) and negatives. Chin-ups are easier than pull-ups. A lot of people recommend starting with those.

hey, just wondering, what is the difference between a chin up and a pull up? i always thought it was two words for the same thing?

The pic on the left is a pull-up. Notice the hands are wider and palms are facing away from you. The pic on the right is a chin-up. The hands are closer and palms are facing you.
    articles-pvsch.jpg

ETA: To answer the original question: not yet. I can do a couple of chin-ups, but I'm not to pull-ups yet. I'm working on them.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    I've never done one in my entire life. I hope to be able to before I turn 36.

Right now I'm 34, I'm down 80lbs (started at 275ish) and I've got at least 45 to go.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    I can only do banded ones atm. But Im still 220lb so plenty time yet. Working on negatives too
  • anonymouse37
    anonymouse37 Posts: 14 Member
    It's been 5 years but I finally made it!

I didn't work on this over the entire five years. I've been focusing on strength for about a year, with about 8 weeks off in the middle because of an injury.

I honestly thought I would never achieve this. I am pushing 60. Thrilled!!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Fantastic news!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited May 2020
    I can. The most I've had in a row were 7 chin ups, which are slightly easier for me than pull ups. I think I've done 4 pull ups at once, I prefer chins though as they give me those killer biceps without a single curl.

I haven't been training regularly on them or practicing though, I think I could do 4 chins now.

It takes time and practice, and you really need to be at a healthy weight for your size or it will be hard. DH can't do them, and he's got far more upper body strength than me - but he's still got weight to lose. I wasn't able to do it until I'd lost my weight.

I can also do 20+ real pushups. I don't find pushups hard anymore, I look for ways to make them more challenging. That has come from both doing pushups, and benching heavy.

I'm 32, and it took me a good 5 months of work to get to the FIRST chin up. I would say another 7 months or so to get up to 7. The best way to get good at pullups, is to do pullups. I did negatives for a long time, I preferred to jump up and then negative instead of the band method. I'm too short to use the assisted pull up machine. I bought a bar for my house and when I was working on it hardcore I'd just walk by and do a couple.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!