New Rules of Lifting for Women

13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    yoovie wrote: »
    lili61 wrote: »
    Do it! It completely changed my body. Below pic: Before is after losing 20 pounds with mostly cardio and bodyweight exercises. After is after completing NROLFW and only 6-7 pounds lighter! I ate at a slight deficit and lifted 3x/week most weeks.

that is an AMAZING change!

here is one example of the changes I got from lifting, thanks to this book opening my eyes.

tumblr_mdjj72sJNW1qffloyo1_1280.jpg

Holy cow.. fantastic results!

Also, another good book that provides a good foundation of knowledge for nutrition and exercise is The Lean Muscle Diet... it's the writer NROLFW and Alan Alagon

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    CHANGED MY GOSH DARN LIFE AND A HALF.
    Ditto. It might possibly be the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I read it twice! It wasnt boring, I learned ridiculous amounts of info that changed how i workout, changed how i see my body and what exercise does to it - best decision ever was to teach myself with that book!

and extra points for it being funny instead of condescending!
    x one million
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    sheepotato wrote: »
    <snip>
    There are 4 other similar books by some of the same authors. 'The New Rules of Lifting' is helpful for men and women (but NROLFW is specifically targeted at women.) There is also 'The New Rules of Lifting for Life,' 'The New Rules of Lifting for Abs' and 'The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged.'

I only have a copy of the first two, I don't know how useful the other three are. They might be good for someone who enjoys the routine and wants something new.

I bought New Rules for Life because For Women was sold out when I wanted to start. I ended up returning it when For Women came in, because For Life was more geared toward not losing muscle mass as you age. I'm sure the lifts may have been somewhat useful, but in general the book is geared toward 50+, and I'm under 30, so . . .

That said, I LOVE NROLFW, and am excited to get back into it after slacking through the holidays. I got a bar and bench for Christmas, so have a pretty proper set up at home now, and plan on starting back at the beginning (never made it out of Stage 1 in the first place).

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    EWJLang wrote: »

I started at 55lbs, but that was because i had just stopped stronglifts 5x5, when i first started stronglifts 5x5 i was just using the 45lb bar and worked up from there. the one thing that i did pick up from stronglifts is even just adding 5lbs/workout can make a huge difference over time versus trying to add more than you can handle or not adding more because you think you cannot do it.... just try adding 5lbs/workout you can always take the 5lbs off for the second set if necessary.

I'm limited to the weights I have in house, for now, which makes moving up a challenge. I started DL with 2 15 pound dumbbells and moved up to 40 lbs in plates on an EZ curl bar, which is actually total about 53 pounds. My husband's old straight bar currently has 50 in plates on it, I need to weigh it to get the total weight. (It came with some Universal set he got at Sears 20 years ago, so it isn't a full-size Olympic bar with regulation weight.) I'm wrapping up Stage 1, but already have "favorite lifts" (love the bent over row and deadlifts are FUN!) and am hoping to continue seeing results.) If I hit a wall with my basement gear (which will definitely happen with squats, as I don't think there is a built in rack on the universal set...I currently use a 25 pound dumbbell on each shoulder) I'll check out local gyms. Most are unfortunately machine-and-cardio outfits, but hopefully they at least have real weights available, if not a true powerlifting gym.

That was actually one of the things that i looked for when i switched gyms, my old gym had a really tiny free weights section, which i was outgrowing and it was incredibly hard to get equipment and i had to search FOREVER to find 2 2.5lb plates...my new gym is almost exclusively dedicated to weights, they do have a small area for cardio and some of the Les Mills classes but the free weights section is AMAZING!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Do it! It completely changed my body. Below pic: Before is after losing 20 pounds with mostly cardio and bodyweight exercises. After is after completing NROLFW and only 6-7 pounds lighter! I ate at a slight deficit and lifted 3x/week most weeks.

here is one example of the changes I got from lifting, thanks to this book opening my eyes.

i took them down, okay. -_- no strikes needed as that wasn't underwear.

:s

• Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Started NROLFW last summer but didn't stick with it. Re-started from the beginning yesterday, also restarted using MFP for food and activity tracking - The Hubs is going along with it all as well - it's gonna be a great year! This is the year I transform to Me 2.0!
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    I started and then stopped because I started working out with a trainer. Now I'm working out on my own and I'm starting back up today! Excited to see it through this time! I work out at home, but have a ton of equpment so I won't have to make many modifications other than if I can't perform something yet, like push ups.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    I love it. I asked anyone who would listen to me for a barbell and bench for Christmas (and got them), and my husband is building me a squat rack in the basement so I can increase the weight of my squats. I've seen a ton of progress in myself, and the book was phenomenal. There's a New Rules of Lifting for Women group here on MFP that's quite active, too!

@EWJLang Don't worry about how much you're lifting or starting off with! Just keep adding weight and you'll get there!

If I was married and my husband built me a squat rack or a bench, I'd buy him a diamond ring and hand forge a golden trophy for him that lets the whole world know he won BEST HUSBAND EVER.

I will be hand forging a golden trophy for him, but for now he's getting a free pass for shrinking the shirt I brought to wear to work today. Hello, corporate crop top that was formerly my favorite sweater.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    I did it previously and lost quite a bit - I was very happy with it. I did it all from home with no issues. I had a major medical issue last July and I have been on the downward spiral since then.

I am too paranoid to go back to it right now BUT I have begun to restart my eating and hopefully will eventually be able to overcome said paranoia and lift again :)
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member

*edited to remove my own pics

You look awesome!!

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

I hope you didn't get a strike for that. Since there are plenty of underwear progress pics...

Good results yoovie! =]
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Never had an intent to give you a warning.. they don't violate the rules..
  • MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Hi all:

I just started the program yesterday (I guess re-started is a more accurate statement). I had decided really try to take the weight off after about a month of illness and so I got it in my head that I should just be doing as much cardio as possible. Probably needless to say, but I didn't feel that great and my weight loss was actually slower. So I'm getting back into the lifting. I wear my heart rate monitor and (as everyone already knows), I burn as many calories in 40 minutes of lifting weights as a do during 60 minutes of mediocre cardio.

I'd love to be friends on here with anyone doing the program as well. I'm eating a relatively low carb diet right now because that tends to work to drop some weight quickly which is a good boost to my morale, but I don't intend to eat that way forever. I'm very much looking forward to the days when I can just follow the 80/20 rule and maintain. I like to see what other people are eating!

At any rate, please feel free to add me!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I read it a while back, I found it had a lot of helpful information. Even if you choose to do a different program like Stronglifts, Strong Curves or whatever it's still worth a read if you are new to lifting.

agreed. I read it and started 5/3/1 instead of following their program.

Same.
  • ak2fl
    ak2fl Posts: 4 Member
    I started today.
  • theSophiemeister
    theSophiemeister Posts: 9 Member
    I'm into Phase 4 and really enjoy it so far!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    bump
  • rstudebaker52
    rstudebaker52 Posts: 30 Member
    I started on Monday.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    I'm starting tomorrow. Do you all follow the food plan? Do you think it would change the results if I didn't?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I am in stage 3 of NROLFW - I am liking the program so far. I did stage one in the late summer and then got away from going to the gym. I picked it back up in mid January - repeated a bit of stage 1 then moved on. I have modified a couple of things. Back squats and me do not get along - so I moved to goblet squats with as heavy a dumbbell as I could manage, increasing reps (and practicing better form using the "convict conditioning" you tube vids was helpful). Jumping alternating-leg lunges and jump squats in the bodyweight matrix of stage 3 aren't happening, either - my ancient knees won't tolerate it. Finally, this third stage has been really challenging so last week and this week I put an extra active recovery day between workouts. All that being said, I think that this program has been awesome - at my age I am not going to be able to gain muscle mass the way you all 30-year-younger folks can, but I am definitely benefiting.

In terms of the food plan - I think essentially it is sound. The idea is that you need to fuel your workouts, and high calorie deficits won't allow you to accomplish this. I am eating at a slight deficit - enough to support a 1-2# month weight drop at the moment. I was eating pretty much at maintenance the first 6 weeks of the year.

The final observation I have is that in addition to the NROLFW program, I am walking my usual 4-6 miles a day, and often will add a 15-20 minute interval workout to the walking if my legs aren't still tapped out from the weight training. That is the only "cardio" I am doing outside of what gets put into the program.