What Exercises Do You Enjoy Most???

Options
I am curious as to which exercises people like most and what keeps you motivated to do them? Is it music? A workout buddy? Do you feel better after? Etc. Thanks!

Replies

• jademarieh
    Options
    Shaun T's workouts are my soul mate workouts! HAHA I have done Insanity, Insanity the Asylum, Focus T25 & Now on Insanity Max 30! Something about his workouts motivates me sooo much! I WOULD LOVE TO MEET HIM =D
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    runnin. there is nothing like the feeling you crushed a 5 mile run and even better when you kick it up to 10 miles.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Krav Maga is my favorite. Nothing like burning tons of calories while hitting things as hard as you can :). Great for patience and serenity in the rest of my life, confidence in knowing how to protect myself, feeling like a ninja, feeling strong.... The camaraderie is also good and helps me push further than I would on my own. Just one class also very nearly pays for my Friday bottle of wine.

I also like powerlifting for some of the same reasons though trade the camaraderie for great music and "me" time. Some of my best thinking happens during my lifting time. (ETA: I do Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone at any level can start the program for free with access to a gym)
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Whichever one is the last one.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Running for me. That pretty much locked in after running my first 10k which I only signed up for as a "bucket list" sorta thing because I was regularly walking/running six miles so it seemed like a slam dunk. That was the first day I ran over a full mile, and finished the whole 10k running. I felt so good (and so sore) that I kept on going after that. A couple months later doing a half marathon even.

As I got in shape, I was always surprised at the various muscle groups all over my body that were feeling sore from running that were NOT my legs. I had no idea how much of a workout all over running could actually be.

During down time from injuries I have tried doing other cardio at the gym like spinning, elliptical, arc trainers, etc. None of them are as high impact for me, even when I am cranking it and take the extra time to get the same calorie burn as I get from running. So I prefer to keep working out at a level I feel is challenging to me, and that is continuing to increase my running. It gives me the most return in the least amount of time from everything I've tried so far.

Besides the running high, there are tangible accomplishments I can be proud of as I reach new long distances or increase my time. I still get a nice feeling and a smile whenever I look at my first 10k medal, or first half marathon medal. Those achievements can never be taken away from me now, or forgotten.

As for what keeps me motivated? I know that some day I may no longer be able to run. So this is the only chance I have to make the most of my potential ability to run. Why waste it?
  • CatLady1309
    Options
    Swimming:)
  • sandjar131
    sandjar131 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Zumba and P90X :)
  • xbluehorusx
    xbluehorusx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Swimming! The post work out hot tub soak and stretching feels pretty amazing too.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Swimming. I've been swimming for most of my life. I'm basically a fish
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ones that provide results. I am doing Focus T25 and for the first time I don't have love handles and I see a difference in my stomach.
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I like sports, maily basketball and volleyball. I hope to get into soccer soon. We have a group of people that play volleyball and I like to play pick up basketball a lot. These people keep me motivated because we are always talking 'smack' to each other. I always want to beat them so I spend time in the weight room and on the treadmill. That is my secret..
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yoga.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    if i had to pick one, the deadlift.
    the feeling of pulling a bunch of weight off the ground as your whole body kicks in to make it happen as a well-oiled machine is tough to beat in my opinion.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Walking and running. I get to shut out the world and focus on me and my music. Clears my head and puts me in a great mood. Talking with other runners keeps it fresh and looking forward to running in races next Spring is the motivator.
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make myself go to the gym and do weight training. Don't necessarily enjoy it, but I like the results. I enjoy yoga: at the end I feel a nice combination of stretched and relaxed. The exercises I enjoy most are things that are actual activities, such as bicycling, kayaking, and hiking. You get the exercise, but enjoy it so much it does not seem like work.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Running, swimming and yoga. Trying really, REALLY hard to make lifting a fave.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Running and weight lifting. I love the runner's high I get after a nice, long run. Then lifting weights just totally kicks my butt. Plus it makes me feel strong.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I tried a few things but stopped searching once I found weightlifting. I enjoy it so much it's not remotely a chore or a necessity, but a hobby and something I really look forward to.

I've been running on and off for about 8 months. Honestly, I don't really enjoy it and probably never will, but I sort of like the being outside, the outfit, the large calorie number on my HRM and getting to eat them back, and the eventual sensation of finishing the run. So... I like the whole experience of running, but I dislike the actual running bit.
  • trboden
    trboden Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cycling. Get out on a quiet road where all you hear is the tires whirring on the pavement...very peaceful.