What results could I expect with this kind of workout schedule?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
I'm at 142 lbs, 5'7, F, late 30s, higher bf% than preferred. I could either try to lose fat or build things up.

Wouldn't mind trying to build things up, except I'm working around injuries (RSI in wrist; issues with knees and ankle; previous tendonitis in shoulder, it's ok now but I don't want to push it.) I can't actually lift things with my hands, so I'm stuck with workarounds.

I've read that HIIT can contribute both to muscle growth and fat loss (can cite if you want me to, not sure it matters), but also that HIIT can interfere with muscle growth, so, not sure what to do with that, given my resistance activity is very limited at the moment. Anyway this is what I've been doing/can do:

- Walking, swimming.

- Interval cycling (90-100 rpm for one minute, then 120-150 rpm for another, going up through resistance levels on the stationary bike and then back down over 40 minutes. I'll go e.g. 150 rpm on the lower resistance levels and 120 on the higher. Heart rate goes between 139 and 159 as per machine, no HRM).

- Bodyweight mat work for glutes and quads (Contreras' Jane Fonda workout + my PT exercises). ~8 exercises - bridge variations, anterior (and other) leg raises, fire hydrant, etc. These are done on most days, to 30 reps.

- Limited number of standing resistance movements. I can't do anything that's not this:
- Low step-downs/step-ups (for quads), unweighted;
- Cable glute kickbacks, weighed;
- Partial squats (PT prescribed), unweighted;
- Reverse hypers, unweighted.

Upper body only gets worked during swimming and matwork exercises (I rest on my elbows).

Should I eat at maintenance and try to get some growth out of this? Or would that mean I'd be spinning my wheels?

Or would it be better to work on reducing bf%?

Also: What would be a good way to schedule this? I've been doing my few resistance movements before moderate cardio sessions or sometimes my interval workouts. The matwork is mostly ever day. Cardio maybe every other day. Intervals 2-3 x / week.

Thanks!

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Decide on a goal before making a plan to get there.
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's got to be the other way around, though. The above is what I can do. The question has to be, what can I most effectively achieve under those constraints? Is it a waste of time to try to build muscle with those limitations? I suspect I can only hope to maintain what I have.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Here's what I'm trying to work out:
    - Those mat workouts, apparently, can actually build muscle (not a lot, but some) if they're done daily. Maybe the extra little bit I can do with the cable machine can help ..
    - Would the intervals work with or against this?
    - How does steady state cardio fit in?
    - Am I overcomplicating things.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Bumping, just in case :)
  • jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi tomatoey,

I think that you have done a great job to give yourself as much resistance work as you can, while still protecting yourself from any further injury/damage.

When you are new to resistance training, you can build muscle a little bit easier (aka newbie gains). I would eat at maintenance for this reason. (plus eating back exercise calories). When you are no longer making strength gains, then revisit the idea of bulking/cutting.

I think the way that you've scheduled things is smart - with resistance work before cardio. HIIT training is a good addition to what you are working towards. Instead of being focused on numbers to hit during the high intensity portions, I would focus on going all out, to your max.

I don't think you need steady state cardio. You are getting good cardio with the HIIT. However, some people (myself included), do it because it is enjoyable. I love my runs outside, but it's mostly because I find it very calming, and makes my whole day better.

Your regimen looks good, also because it fits your lifestyle and body. I used to get really hung up on my exercise schedule, and doing what was recommended, until I finally decided - when I have time, I will exercise. And sometimes that's just twice a week, sometimes it's six. But I don't stress about it. You have to adjust things to fit your own life.

Good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can really tell you what to expect with that workout plan. You're just gonna have to try it and see.

Having said that, if you want an educated guess, I doubt you're gonna build a whole lotta muscle with what you have listed. So factor that in however you like.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    jussy123 wrote: »
    Hi tomatoey,

I think that you have done a great job to give yourself as much resistance work as you can, while still protecting yourself from any further injury/damage.

When you are new to resistance training, you can build muscle a little bit easier (aka newbie gains). I would eat at maintenance for this reason. (plus eating back exercise calories). When you are no longer making strength gains, then revisit the idea of bulking/cutting.

I think the way that you've scheduled things is smart - with resistance work before cardio. HIIT training is a good addition to what you are working towards. Instead of being focused on numbers to hit during the high intensity portions, I would focus on going all out, to your max.

I don't think you need steady state cardio. You are getting good cardio with the HIIT. However, some people (myself included), do it because it is enjoyable. I love my runs outside, but it's mostly because I find it very calming, and makes my whole day better.

Your regimen looks good, also because it fits your lifestyle and body. I used to get really hung up on my exercise schedule, and doing what was recommended, until I finally decided - when I have time, I will exercise. And sometimes that's just twice a week, sometimes it's six. But I don't stress about it. You have to adjust things to fit your own life.

Good luck!

Aw, thank you, jussy123! It's reassuring to know that I'm on the right track, and I appreciate your input!

I definitely get a lot out of my walks and swims beyond physical benefits, too - reason enough to keep them in, I guess :)

I'll try to loosen my attachment to numbers, and will just push myself to see what I can do. Thank you so much for your thoughts!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can really tell you what to expect with that workout plan. You're just gonna have to try it and see.

Having said that, if you want an educated guess, I doubt you're gonna build a whole lotta muscle with what you have listed. So factor that in however you like.

I suppose you're right, whatever happens will happen :)

I've just started with this, so I think I'll stick with maintenance calories for a while, as jussy123 advised.

Thank you for your input!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Ok, this week I'm finally seeing something happening. (I didn't just start working out 6 days ago - it's just it took me a long time to get to the point where I could hack all the above in one week. I've been doing the cycling and bodyweight stuff, mostly.)

What is happening: the center part of my thighs is shaping up! My quads are becoming more defined and I think my glutes might be starting to get on track. I'm down two pounds. I'm really happy about my quads and glutes! Nowhere near the kind of athletic body I like, but better, my thighs aren't total mush, I can feel and see differences. (Didn't measure :/)

Except, I'm not wild about the tops of thighs or belly. My pants fit the same, mostly, although they're looser around the waist earlier in the day than they used to be (which probably speaks more to the quality of my pants).

I feel like what I want to do is try to lose body fat, except I know that I definitely wasn't happy when I was quite thin after weight loss that involved a lot of conditioning / cardio. I still don't know what my goal should be! It's not like I can bulk.

Current weight: 141
    Goal weight: ??? I liked how I felt and moved at 124 with my cardio body, max 128. I maintained at 124.
    38 F
    Limitations described in OP
    high bf%

I'm netting ~2000 over weeks, with a lot of days as high as 2200 - my target is 1670, lol. Obviously the gross calories are higher than that and I'm probably missing some.

Should I stay at these calories a little longer and try to wrench out whatever muscle development I can from Level 7 on the stationary bike etc? Or should I cut calories?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Any ideas this morning? lol