Can you not eat enough?

Options
I have just recently started using MFP consistently logging everything everyday and I am on the fourth day. I did not exercise yesterday and still had a 359 deficit in my calories. When I do exercise, I have a lot more. I am not trying to lose a ton of weight (10 lbs wouldn't hurt), but began MFP because I want to get healthier and see what type of food I eat and how nutritious it is. I have been eating some in the mornings where I would skip breakfast before, but I do not snack in between meals and don't seem to eat a whole lot. I do not feel hungry either. Should I make myself eat more even though I am not hungry or listen to my body and how I feel?

- cross posted on Food and Nutrition

Replies

• November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Without looking at your diary it's hard to tell. If you're not eating much and don't feel hungry, then I'm wondering where you managed to get the 10lb you want to lose?

I started out similar to you, more interested in working out my diet's nutrition than I was in full-on weight loss (I was always hungry and used MFP to see why - not enough protein. Ate more protein, fixed my problem. Ate fewer cals to lose weight. Job done.) So I get where you're coming from there.

If you're losing weight and are happy with it, enjoy it while it lasts. There's no need to eat if you don't want to. I do worry, though, that if you're eating hundreds and hundreds lower than a healthy, that your low appetite is a problem for other reasons (ie: are you depressed?)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    More calorie dense foods.

Cheese, oils, wine, peanut butter, etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This seems to be pretty common as people cut out some of their usual foods because they aren't "healthy" but end up cutting out too much. Add back in some of the foods you used to eat in smaller quantities or add in more calorie dense foods.

This is a generic list and doesn't account for your personal needs, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat diary
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think that is pretty typical for when you first start logging. Once the new wears off, it'll change.
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    Better to eat smaller portions with healthy snacks in between the main meals with lots of water. This will help to keep your metabolism going. If you skip on meals, your metabolism can get much slower, which in turn will slow down losing the weight.
    I am not able to exercise, but need to lose lots of weight. My goal is to lose 2lb a week. This is my first day with MFP.

My problem today is that I have over 300 calories left after meals and snacks, but have exceeded the amount of proteins, carbs and sugar - I cannot think of any food that does not contain any proteins, cabs and sugar!
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. No I am not depressed. I am a special education teacher, wife and mother of 2. I seem to be very busy during the day and don't really think about food a lot. I have made my diary public if anyone wants to look at it to help. I don't know that the exercise calories are 100% accurate because I am using the treadmill numbers right now. I only drink water except when I have sweet tea with my dinner. As for the 10 pounds, I just think I like the number of 150 better than 160 and I am working on toning to look better. I am within normal weight as I am 5'10" tall. Thanks again for all the advice!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    lol when I used to have calories left I did one of two things... I saved them up (yay for the weekend!!) OR poured a huge fat *kitten* glass of wine... worked either way lol
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I eat every single calorie....well because I am a huge snacker and horrible if the "beast" gets hungry. HAAA I will say that I typically don't eat back the exercise calories. That is just me.

My go to snacks are almonds, apples with almond butter, cheese, crackers (easy 130 calories depending on brand) or kind bars (or something like that).

Good luck! I know it is hard at first to figure everything out.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Better to eat smaller portions with healthy snacks in between the main meals with lots of water. This will help to keep your metabolism going. If you skip on meals, your metabolism can get much slower, which in turn will slow down losing the weight.
    I am not able to exercise, but need to lose lots of weight. My goal is to lose 2lb a week. This is my first day with MFP.

My problem today is that I have over 300 calories left after meals and snacks, but have exceeded the amount of proteins, carbs and sugar - I cannot think of any food that does not contain any proteins, cabs and sugar!

Can you open your diary so we can take a look at your meals?

Also, why are you not able to exercise? What about walking or swimming?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Okay, first, some people do feel better eating smaller meals throughout the day, and if you feel good doing it then should keep doing it. But it takes something like 72 hours before metabolism will slow down without food, so skipping a meal or a snack isn't going to hurt you.

Depending on your goals and how they're set up, it's not particularly bad to go over on proteins, carbs, or sugar (given no medical conditions, of course). A lot of us consider our protein goals as minimums anyway to help prevent lean muscle loss, especially if you're using MFP's default numbers. Don't be afraid of the red when you're short on calories.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    lol when I used to have calories left I did one of two things... I saved them up (yay for the weekend!!) OR poured a huge fat *kitten* glass of wine... worked either way lol
    You are my twinsie.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    You are my twinsie.

but sadly, I don't have them left any more :( I am waiting for the day when I am short on them and can pour my glass and rejoice lol