Replies

• ashbash830
    ashbash830 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ashbash830 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I go by the label on the package and haven't had an issue losing weight.
    As far as calorie counting, 20 or 50 calories or so isn't going to make a difference.
    You need to eat 3,500 calories on top of what you already eat to even gain a pound.
    So if you're on a 2,000 calorie per day diet, add an additional 3,500 on top of that.
    Gaining weight is harder than you may think. :)

Don't get discouraged! Try to stay away from highly processed foods, as they may contain more calories than what the label says.

they don't. And you need to be careful when advising about 'highly processed' foods. Any food preparation that takes food away from the state it was on the hoof or the plant is a process, so freezing, baking, etc, are processing.
    it's actually quite easy to gain weight by miscounting calories. if you are off by 50 calories for each time you eat, and you eat six times per day, that's 300 calories per day. Over the course of a week, that's 2,100 calories. More than half a pound gained already! Keep that up each week and you'll find yourself gaining weight steadily. So yes, 50 calories can make a difference in calorie counting, which is why weighing is so important.

Yes I know what food processing is. Thanks.
    Eating raw carrots as opposed to cooked carrots will aid better in losing weight, as an example.

Actually, cooked carrots are better for you than raw. Cooking carrots break down their tough cellular walls. It’s hard to properly chew carrots and optimally benefit from the beta-carotene content. In the body, beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A, which is beneficial for bone health, the immune system, and vision. According to a 2008 report in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, boiling or steaming carrots made its antioxidants, most notably carotenoids, more ready available to the body.

I understand that.
    The easier it is for your body to digest them, the more calories you will obtain is all I am saying.

Whether it is raw or cooked, you'll still get nutrients from them regardless.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone over this. Just trying to help.

I am not giving out any false information, look it up.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I started doing this again. Was told you cant go by the llabel on the package if you cant go by that then how do you know what a serving is and calories stuff is? Iv just been going by the package and weighing and measuring what it says or counting out stuff.

I always go by the label, but make sure you are weighing even prepackaged foods. For example, the bread I eat says a serving is 57 grams for two slices, but when I weigh two slices it's usually over 57 grams, sometimes by quite a bit. The same goes with many other packaged foods, and that's how many people inadvertently add calories without even knowing it. Always weigh them.

Believe it or not I just learned this lesson this morning. It says one cup of cereal 50g 190 calories. I weighed one cup and it was 75g! So is a cup 190 calories or is 50g's 190 calories? If the latter that's truly depressing as that is not a bowl of cereal. I don't trust labels at all. They often don't scan in the same info they profess when you use the barcode scanner too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As far as calorie counting, 20 or 50 calories or so isn't going to make a difference.
    You need to eat 3,500 calories on top of what you already eat to even gain a pound.
    So if you're on a 2,000 calorie per day diet, add an additional 3,500 on top of that.

Don't get discouraged! Try to stay away from highly processed foods, as they may contain more calories than what the label says.

they don't. And you need to be careful when advising about 'highly processed' foods. Any food preparation that takes food away from the state it was on the hoof or the plant is a process, so freezing, baking, etc, are processing.
    it's actually quite easy to gain weight by miscounting calories. if you are off by 50 calories for each time you eat, and you eat six times per day, that's 300 calories per day. Over the course of a week, that's 2,100 calories. More than half a pound gained already! Keep that up each week and you'll find yourself gaining weight steadily. So yes, 50 calories can make a difference in calorie counting, which is why weighing is so important.

Eating raw carrots as opposed to cooked carrots will aid better in losing weight, as an example.

Actually, cooked carrots are better for you than raw. Cooking carrots break down their tough cellular walls. It’s hard to properly chew carrots and optimally benefit from the beta-carotene content. In the body, beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A, which is beneficial for bone health, the immune system, and vision. According to a 2008 report in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, boiling or steaming carrots made its antioxidants, most notably carotenoids, more ready available to the body.

I understand that.
    The easier it is for your body to digest them, the more calories you will obtain is all I am saying.

I did, which is why I needed to correct you. You get more nutrients from cooked carrots than you do from raw. Other veggies that are more bioavailable cooked than raw are tomatoes, the broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage family, and leafy greens, especially spinach and chard.

• brianalbro1
    brianalbro1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Believe it or not I just learned this lesson this morning. It says one cup of cereal 50g 190 calories. I weighed one cup and it was 75g! So is a cup 190 calories or is 50g's 190 calories? If the latter that's truly depressing as that is not a bowl of cereal. I don't trust labels at all. They often don't scan in the same info they profess when you use the barcode scanner too.[/quote]

Something like that then the one cup is more than 190?
  • Want2bthin135
    Want2bthin135 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Believe it or not I just learned this lesson this morning. It says one cup of cereal 50g 190 calories. I weighed one cup and it was 75g! So is a cup 190 calories or is 50g's 190 calories? If the latter that's truly depressing as that is not a bowl of cereal. I don't trust labels at all. They often don't scan in the same info they profess when you use the barcode scanner too.

Hmm that seems like too big of a difference. Make sure you put your cup or bowl on the scale and zero it out, then add your cereal.

• brianalbro1
    brianalbro1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    O I didn't Wright that someone else's did. My question was. Is the one cup 190 or the 50g 190?
  • ashbash830
    ashbash830 Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I understand that.

I did, which is why I needed to correct you. You get more nutrients from cooked carrots than you do from raw. Other veggies that are more bioavailable cooked than raw are tomatoes, the broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage family, and leafy greens, especially spinach and chard.

I didn't say raw is better than cooked because you lose nutrients.
    About nutrients what I said was they need to EAT ALL CALORIES otherwise they could lose nutrients they need. That was a different subject unrelated to what you are telling me.

EDIT: if you read this I think you will understand what I am talking about. Read the entire article.

http://theconversation.com/why-most-food-labels-are-wrong-about-calories-35081