Nerd Fitness Academy

Options
So I joined the nerd fitness academy, which I am liking.

Its emphasis is on building habits over the long term and not necessarily calorie counting (win)

Its offering me structure (which I need for motivation/feedback) but without the calorie counting which I tend to get obsessive over.

The diet section works like this.. there are 10 levels, you pick the level where you currently are atm. For me its the eat whatever I want when I want without much regard to my waistline. You then work through the levels making changes such as cutting liquid calories etc etc

The first week I need to keep a food record to see what I currently eat on a daily/weekly basis. Then for 2 weeks you cut calories with an aim of starting the weight loss basis...then habit changes.. healthy breakfast, introducing more fruit and veg...

I am pleased because I think this might work for me :) I was going through a cycle of "should I count calories, join a weight loss group" etc what I really want to do is be able to work on the route cause of overeating (not getting up early enough to make breakfast, not prepping lunch food etc)

No questions, just wanted to share!

Replies

• Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I like the website, and I currently get the Nerd Fitness emails, which are always inspiring. I would consider buying the RPG if it's ever released. If I was into Paleo, I'd also consider joining the academy.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I like the website, and I currently get the Nerd Fitness emails, which are always inspiring. I would consider buying the RPG if it's ever released. If I was into Paleo, I'd also consider joining the academy.

Yeah, the main thing I like about it is that it encourages you to eat unprocessed food (which is always a good thing) but at the level that is right for you. I couldn't adhere to strict paleo, I wouldn't its as simple as that :)
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Ditto to everything in this post.
  • steveocy1
    steveocy1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of the sites I visit everyday. It is nice going to a forum that is very open minded to everyone's input and the discussions remain positive and on point. I like the guilds and six week challenge setup. The only drawback for me is the default diet/lifestyle is paleo, which seems weird to me since it is a nerd/science/research based approached, but it is easy to move past because it isn't ever thrown in your face as the only way.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    Options
    One of the sites I visit everyday. It is nice going to a forum that is very open minded to everyone's input and the discussions remain positive and on point. I like the guilds and six week challenge setup. The only drawback for me is the default diet/lifestyle is paleo, which seems weird to me since it is a nerd/science/research based approached, but it is easy to move past because it isn't ever thrown in your face as the only way.

Yeah I think NF with paleo is just showing what worked for him. He states that the best diet is one you can stick to for the long term. For the majority its calorie counting. For me If I relied on calorie counting and then took that away I would go back to normal crappy pattern..i am hoping the emphasis on changing habits will help me build a better relationship with food.

Yeah I love NF - I think the website is great.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    NF fan here as well- haven't been as active since the forum got blocked at work- but I do enjoy it tremendously- lots of interesting people with fitness and food on the brain.

and bacon.
    and beer.

Glad you are enjoying the new service and structure!!!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I like NF but I wouldn't pay for the Academy, I don't see the point. You shouldn't have to pay for a program when there is so much free information online. But to each their own.

I almost feel like this is an advertisement to encourage people to pay for the NF Academy.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    Options
    I like NF but I wouldn't pay for the Academy, I don't see the point. You shouldn't have to pay for a program when there is so much free information online. But to each their own.

I almost feel like this is an advertisement to encourage people to pay for the NF Academy.
    I

Lol ok.. Or perhaps someone just sharing something that is working for them?
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I

Perhaps.

But if the OP was posting about Weight Watchers or Nutrisystems I feel like most people would be against the post.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    Options

I

Perhaps.

But if the OP was posting about Weight Watchers or Nutrisystems I feel like most people would be against the post.

Ah well... On saying that if you DID want to do y juice cleanse I can give you 10% discount... *eye roll*.

Well possibly as NF has built up a reputation as a trustworthy source people are less likely to attack it. Also slightly obvious im not trying to sell it to you ;)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Nerd Fitness Academy member here too!

I love the community and the game aspect that the program offers. Plus, it's a one time payment for the whole damn thing.

Bargain.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    Options
    bump
  • mysterioustea
    mysterioustea Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the site and hope to join the academy soon.
  • fromaquasar09
    Options
    I had been on the nerd fitness open boards for awhile and just joined the academy over the weekend. I am really happy I did actually. The check lists and structure are exactly what I needed and the focus on small changes. Plus heaps of work outs to keep me busy. I am keen to see how it goes.

On the food note, I am not Paelo in fact I'm vegetarian most of the time BUT the different levels of eating and the notes on substitutions/changes means I don't think the food will be an issue for me, plus implementing some healthy changes - like eating more veggies, eating a protein filled breakfast, not drinking calories etc will only be good for me regardless of if you go full Paelo.

Feel free if you want to make friends and I'll update how I go!
  • Grundig666
    Options
    Nerd Fitness changed my life - from teaching me to take it slow to helping me improve my work out to nutrition and all aspects of life (even paying bills) seriously you can't go wrong.
  • Roz1013
    Roz1013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for a week but have been getting the emails for months. So far I am still scoping things out but it seems pretty good. I'm most excited about the bodyweight training.
  • delia_tee
    delia_tee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cool if people who are in the academy can add me as a friend. I think I am joining soon. I had bought the guides before and I love how clean, structured and inspirational it all was. He actually got me off the couch and I have been at it for half a year now.
  • katenorris84
    katenorris84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just joined as a member of the NF Academy and so far I have found it to be pretty great. I'm a Warrior and a member of the barbell brigade, taking on Level 1 workouts this week. The only thing that I struggle with is when to move up to the next level. There is no clear "If you can do x, you're ready for the next level" and I wish there was.