Yuck Overnight Oats!

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the overnight oats I tried, either. I'll take mine cooked and warm. :)
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    if you like savory food in the morning--you could make savory oats with like...mushroom broth and parmesan or something.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes

or what about eating them for lunch or a snack? bring them to microwave at work or something.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    TenderMoon wrote: »
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    3/4 cup almond milk or vanilla Silk (no yogurt, thank you)
    1 T ground flax seeds (this acts as a thickener and adds fiber)
    1/2 scoop whey protein powder
    Dash of salt
    Dash of cinnamon
    Sweetener of choice

Refrigerate overnight. When ready to eat add a chopped apple and a tablespoon of chopped walnuts. You can also omit the cinnamon and add two tablespoons of dark cocoa powder. Some form of this has been my lunch of choice pretty much since last May. Very filling and stays with you a long time. If you make the cocoa version it tastes like dessert.

Don't think I'll do the rest but I might add the flax to my regular oatmeal. i may even add the protein powder on days when I skip the boiled egg.
  • AngisBubis
    AngisBubis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes! Plaste is exactly what is looked and tasted like. Best description
    I tried 3-4 different "recipes" from Pinterest and hated it too. It was like cold gritty paste or thick flavorless almond milk to me.

My version of fridge oats is very different, barely any oats, and more like textured yogurt with fruit ;-) But my husband and I love it and make it a couple of times per week.

Per serving (I usually make individual ones for each of us the night before):

1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
    1/3 cup fruit (various types, amounts, etc...but this is standard and blackberries are a favorite choice)
    1/8 cup quick oats
    1/4 TBSP ground flaxseed

Mix & eat. It's very thick.

I think tastes just really vary with this stuff.

Another favorite is the above with cinnamon and 1/2 chopped apple pre-microwaved with a little bit of water and lemon juice. Really good.

• AngisBubis
    AngisBubis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love savory. This sounds interesting too. I was really trying to go for natural because I usually only enjoy the instant packet type of oatmeal. I was disappointed to say the least.
    if you like savory food in the morning--you could make savory oats with like...mushroom broth and parmesan or something.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes

or what about eating them for lunch or a snack? bring them to microwave at work or something.

• jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you replace the almond milk with apple juice you pretty much have Bircher Muesli. When you think of overnight oats as a muesli the taste and texture is a lot easier to comprehend.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of "overnight" oats. It sounds to me like it takes just as long to put it together as it would to just make them in the am?

I eat oatmeal about once a week in the cooler months. top it with dried fruit and Lyles Golden syrup.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats. You can make enough for 4-5 days. Put them in pint size mason jars and in the morning nuke if you like and add your toppings. Here's my standard recipe.

1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
    1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt (any flavor or plain)
    3/4 cup vanilla silk
    1 teaspoon chia seeds
    Sweetener (honey, maple syrup, vanilla extract)

Toppings

Fresh fruit
    Chopped nuts
    Granola
    Cinnamon powder (can go in before also)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats. You can make enough for 4-5 days. Put them in pint size mason jars and in the morning nuke if you like and add your toppings. Here's my standard recipe.

1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
    1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt (any flavor or plain)
    3/4 cup vanilla silk
    1 teaspoon chia seeds
    Sweetener (honey, maple syrup, vanilla extract)

Toppings

Fresh fruit
    Chopped nuts
    Granola
    Cinnamon powder (can go in before also)

It's pretty much exactly what the OP did and she hated them...

OP, I like them much better without the yogurt, but for the calories, I'd just rather eat regular hot oatmeal.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I thought they were pretty gross too. I ended up dumping all the ones I made...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    I don't understand the concept of "overnight" oats. It sounds to me like it takes just as long to put it together as it would to just make them in the am?

I eat oatmeal about once a week in the cooler months. top it with dried fruit and Lyles Golden syrup.

Overnight oats take about 5min to gather ingredients, mix, put in the fridge.

Rolled oats take about 15min to gather ingredients, mix, and nuke in microwave (30% power for 10min usually does it)

Steel cut oats take about 40min to gather ingredients, mix, and cook on the stove. Never found a good way to do these in the microwave.

Instant oats are the fastest, but honestly, I'd rather eat wallpaper paste.