Eating healthier?

Options
stephekc20
stephekc20 Posts: 5
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone have any tips for me to eat healthier? I find myself downing energy drinks and candy bars all too often just to keep up energy levels! I'm on the go all day every day, because I'm a mom and student.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Fruit? 100-200 calorie packs of nuts?

What does your family eat?
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    my daughter is a busy student with a full time job and very little meal time availability during the day so she manages with a good quality protein bar (Quest is her preference), apples, a sandwich on a low carb wrap with chicken (cooked not deli) and veggies. Grab and go kinds of foods.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have found that eating mostly whole foods gives me sustained energy throughout the day. Fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts, meat, eggs etc.
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pack an insulated lunchbox with healthy sandwiches or wraps, yogurt, fruit, nuts, vege sticks, low fat cheese slices, small cans of tuna, hard boiled eggs etc. Look for a small freezer pad that will help keep your food cooler longer (or just eat the food that needs to keep cool first. Also, reduce caffeinated and sugary drinks and replace them with water.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This calls for planning. On days that I know I'll be out and about most of the day, I try to eat a substantial breakfast and make sure I have a protein bar and plenty of water with me. I prefer Quest bars, they are great as a meal replacement. Raw nuts are great too.
  • kbstephens24
    kbstephens24 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Foods with a high-fiber content will keep you full! Just read the label. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Needing energy boosts sounds like you may have some vitamin deficiencies. Iron, magnesium or calcium are the usual suspects although vitamin D is high on the list this time of year also. Dark green veggies, nuts and mushrooms are great choices to combat fatigue.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom and full time student, too.

Quick snacks I go for are hard boiled eggs, veggies and hummus, rice cakes with nut butter, fruit with a handful of nuts or with a slice of cheese, or 1/2 a wrap with grilled chicken, cucumbers and hummus (delicious!). All of these things can be pre-prepared and stored in baggies or tupperwares for quick grab-and-go snacks. I find I'm better satiated and stay full longer when I pair macros, like protein with carbs, fat with carbs, etc. Try different combinations until you figure out what works best for you.
  • stephekc20
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Fruit? 100-200 calorie packs of nuts?

What does your family eat?

My kids eat healthy at home but a lot of the time I end up picking something up on the way to school at a gas station and the fruit there is questionable. I have a nut allergy also. I've tried packing lunches but I always forget it at home in the morning rush to get myself and the kids to school and hubby to work.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I almost always pack my lunch in the evening and just grab it in the morning. Most fruit keeps well in the fridge. You could pack greek yogurt, string cheese, many kinds of fruit, take some carrots and hummus, or a turkey sandwich, or a nut-free energy bar.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Find recipes for mini quiches - or just make your own using eggs, mushrooms and spinach in a muffin tin. Then you can freeze what you will not use in a few days and pop them in the toaster for a quick easy breakfast.