Pilates to tone up and lose weight

Options
I just ordered a Pilates DVD that is 30 minutes long. I do H.I.I.T (high intensity interval training) about 4 times a week but I want to lose weight and tone up, so in addition to H.I.I.T. , how many times a week should I do pilates? and do you always take a day off after each session?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What's your diet like? Impossible to answer your question without know your intake.
  • a05jwal
    a05jwal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    trying to follow 1500 calorie/day intake , i have had a horrible diet before with a lot of processed foods so now focusing on vegetables, a lot of protien. I find even doing 1500 I am really hungry but hoping after a few days/weeks my body will get used to it. I know food is the key to losing weight but I really want to tone as well. Just not sure how often to do pilates
  • a05jwal
    Options
    and I think my diary is open, please take a look and give advice.. I am sort of new to this, plan to update it soon w/ pix. etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1500 cals per day and HIIT 4x week? You probably don't need to do pilates at all to tone up... so it's completely up to you. At least until you have a better sense of your caloric needs.

Basically, you've got to start somewhere, log and track for a month and see what happens, then adjust as needed. 1500 cals per day and some HIIT is a very reasonable starting point. If you want to add in some pilates, go for it. If not, that's fine too.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Pilates is more or less like Strength & Stabilization training more than anything. Your nutrition has to be in-order to lose body-fat, so that's where your "toning" will come from. You can probably do Pilates 1 to 3 times per week and be fine. The HIIT you may want to dial back a day.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I used to do it every day, but was constantly sore. 2-3 days a week, 20-40 minutes per session is really enough to see a real difference. Pilates is awesome! Enjoy!
  • a05jwal
    Options
    Great thanks for feedback.