Stirring the Pot: are all calories equal

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    As a unit of measure, 1=1, no matter what it is. 1 always equals 1 and will never equal anything else.

That's not correct. It depends on context.

It took Principia Mathematica about 500 pages worth of logical proofs to establish that "1+1=2" - usually. Even then ended up with a circular definition. And if 1 plus 1 being 2 is a "sometimes", then it's not possible that "1 always equals 1".
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that the labels are OVERestimating by any significant amount. I'd be losing weight a lot faster....
  • fatcity66
    Options
    I also found this study interesting about how groups that severely energy restrict end up weighing less than groups who do not because their bodies become much more efficient at metabolizing energy: http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/eating-less-doesnt-cause-long-term-fat-loss/

Wow. What a load of crap.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    cat-falls-in-bathtub-o.gif

Since this thread is already being reported, I have two requests:

1. Please stay on topic and don't insult other users when making your point. We all know where this thread is probably going, but I figured I'd at least make an attempt.

2. Please stop flagging each other unless the post warrants a flag. Here's a reminder of how the flagging/reporting system works.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points

Yes, the moderators can see who is flagging which posts. I'm in the process of removing flags from this thread that do not meet the guidelines above.

LOL Slippy kitty!
  • fatcity66
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Jokes aside, I still stand behind the fact that consumers are entitled to accurate information on the products they buy. And knowledge about what goes into your body and how your body processes it is valuable - pounds lost or not. This article highlights an area where we don't have the scientific precision to untangle the variables that result in calories digested. Seems worth pursuing. Many a technical advancements have been achieved by chasing seemingly pointless curiosity.

:drinker:

Scientific curiosity FTW!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    cat-falls-in-bathtub-o.gif

Since this thread is already being reported, I have two requests:

1. Please stay on topic and don't insult other users when making your point. We all know where this thread is probably going, but I figured I'd at least make an attempt.

2. Please stop flagging each other unless the post warrants a flag. Here's a reminder of how the flagging/reporting system works.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points

Yes, the moderators can see who is flagging which posts. I'm in the process of removing flags from this thread that do not meet the guidelines above.

Hey you gotz the big buttons now. When did that happen? Congrats, I think :)

Would it be possible to warn also users who flag unnecessarily?

Thank you. The big buttons are nice, but getting to wear a sash and tiara while operating them really is the best part. I found the required "I <3 Olivia" tattoo to be a bit unorthodox, but rules are rules.

To answer your question, yes, users can be warned for unnecessary flagging.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd be interested to see some numbers for comparative purposes on bioavailabilty of nutrients from processed sources vs unprocessed sources. Also some numbers on calories expended through digestion of processed vs unprocessed. It would be interesting to see what combined affect thee two of these have for processed vs unprocessed foods with the same theoretical calorie amount.

Did anyone read the study a little while ago about cooled/cooled and re-heated pasta having less available calories than freshly cooked pasta due to the presence of resistent starch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/11167883/Cool-and-reheat-pasta-to-make-it-less-fattening.html

P.s. I'm ignoring the whole calorie = a calorie thing. We all know what the OP was getting at - as in comparitive nutritional value for the same energy value NOT just energy value. There's always the people who respond unhelpfully in this topic though
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have tooth pain! :s
  • fatcity66
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see some numbers for comparative purposes on bioavailabilty of nutrients from processed sources vs unprocessed sources. Also some numbers on calories expended through digestion of processed vs unprocessed. It would be interesting to see what combined affect thee two of these have for processed vs unprocessed foods with the same theoretical calorie amount.

Did anyone read the study a little while ago about cooled/cooled and re-heated pasta having less available calories than freshly cooked pasta due to the presence of resistent starch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/11167883/Cool-and-reheat-pasta-to-make-it-less-fattening.html

P.s. I'm ignoring the whole calorie = a calorie thing. We all know what the OP was getting at - as in comparitive nutritional value for the same energy value NOT just energy value. There's always the people who respond unhelpfully in this topic though

Yes, I read it, but I found it hard to believe. I mean, I would LOVE for it to be true.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that the labels are OVERestimating by any significant amount. I'd be losing weight a lot faster....

Between the error bars on measuring, weighing, food labels, getting every last drop of sauce out of the pot, the scales we weight ourselves, variance in individual RMRs and exercise burns...

Honestly, anything within 10% would be pure genius.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    gmallan wrote: »

Yes, I read it, but I found it hard to believe. I mean, I would LOVE for it to be true.

Random unpublished experiment by a TV doctor?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lacewitch wrote: »
    I am not normally one to stir, or to wave the red cape a trolls

But I saw this on IFLS - who normally have very good sources.
    - http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/why-most-food-labels-are-wrong-about-calories

I've seen and done experiments with artificial stomachs that back this up. (phd in chemistry before all the trolls jump up and down on me.)

I am not trying to change people who have schemes that work for them - if it aint broke don't fix it and all that ... but i thought there may be some who will find it interesting.

Thank you. I find it fascinating. I also found this article/study really interesting as well.

It would be interesting to know the difference in someone eating what is generally considered a balanced diet (eg. based on national guidelines) that includes cooked and uncooked foods such as raw and cooked fruit and veg compared to a highly processed diet with the same cals...put it into context of the overall diet. Probably not much. The problem is always that human studies are difficult to control. Animals studies are easier, but don't always translate.

The other interesting aspect is the metabolic cost of mounting an immune response for uncooked food that may contain bugs normally destroyed by cooking. Fever can increase REE by 7–13% for each 1 °C increase in body temperature.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It's the articles like this that IFLS posts from time to time that is making me pretty disappointed in the site. Sugar is also the devil and sole cause of weight gain, according to one article that has been posted in the last few months from them. Things have gone a little downhill after the original site moderator hired interns; it seems they either aren't vetted well or there's no review process before posting.

Off topic, can someone tell me why there are a few posts that have a locked gate over them? I'm on the Android app and this is the first I've seen them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I think if a post generates enough flags, it goes invisible/blocked. At least, I've seen that happen a couple of times.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    As a unit of measure, 1=1, no matter what it is. 1 always equals 1 and will never equal anything else.

That's not correct. It depends on context.

It took Principia Mathematica about 500 pages worth of logical proofs to establish that "1+1=2" - usually. Even then ended up with a circular definition. And if 1 plus 1 being 2 is a "sometimes", then it's not possible that "1 always equals 1".

Usually? Stop making things up.
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, but what does that say about corn? Cooked or raw, just doesn't seem to get digested? Any thoughts?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think if a post generates enough flags, it goes invisible/blocked. At least, I've seen that happen a couple of times.

Thanks. That was my initial thought as well. I had seen the thing where posts go "ghost" almost but you could click them to read it anyway so this seemed new and different, even if it isn't.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how the hell did I miss out on this????
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I'm pretty sure my chocolate calorie is the same as my peanut butter calorie.
    0cko12an1u11.jpeg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Yes, all calories are the same they are units of energy.