Any luck with the DASH Diet?

Options
Has anyone had good weight loss results with the DASH Diet?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. My favorite is the balanced diet. Tons of luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

The DASH diet is QUITE balanced actually. Google it. It's all over the news and what not lately. Something about it being the BEST and HEALTHIEST or something of that sort.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

The DASH diet is QUITE balanced actually. Google it. It's all over the news and what not lately. Something about it being the BEST and HEALTHIEST or something of that sort.

Will do
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP: there have been a few threads about it in the last few days, given the news, but other than that, there was a group here a year or so ago. A few posts about good success with weight loss AND hypertension, but it was never a very active group.

Here's my thought: if a formal diet teaches someone to eat right, I'm all for it. Education is key.

Best of luck!
  • aubaby
    aubaby Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Basically it is a low fat diet.
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started it yesterday. To be continued...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MamaGab92 wrote: »

Why? Did your doctor tell you too?

What is with all the weird posts about the "DASH diet"? People do realize it stands for dietary approaches to stop hypertension, right? It's not a weightloss plan...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Basically it is a low fat diet.
    laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    aubaby wrote: »

Is that anything like the dine and dash diet? :-)

I'm not at all familiar with it so I guess it's time for Google and I to get acquainted.

Good luck either way.

To add, I’d say if it ain’t balanced forget about it. The body needs the carbs, fat, and protein. We just have to find the balance that works for us.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It got ranked #1 by US News or something (although if you read the reasoning in those surveys you might come away skeptical, as I did). I think it's weird too, but then I think wanting to follow some specific diet rather than just eating healthy and lowering your calories is weird.

Also, I have no reason to follow a diet for hypertension, although it might well be helpful for those who do.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    DASH is basically an update of the food pyramid rebranded under a snappy new name. It's not a fad diet; it's basically about getting your balanced servings in from the various food groups.

It's fine, but it doesn't replace calorie counting.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    DASH is basically an update of the food pyramid rebranded under a snappy new name. It's not a fad diet; it's basically about getting your balanced servings in from the various food groups.

It's fine, but it doesn't replace calorie counting.

Except it is not new in the slightest.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It's not a basic low fat diet. Not in the sense we've come to know low fat diets these days. ( to include all meat which I luvvvv, lol ) It was created initially for patients with High Blood Pressure. It contains tons of vegetables, some fruits, not too much red meat. Been around a while, not a fad. eating clean is relatively similar to it. It does work. Good Luck :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Seems reasonable enough (although I have my issues with the pyramid), but WHY do people have to follow some named diet? Why not just follow the pyramid or my plate or figure out what you (not you!) think is healthy and balanced. I SO don't understand it. Seems so weird to want to follow some special diet.

• ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It has less refined grains, which is what you want to watch if you are pre-diabetic. It also helps people with high cholesterol, hypertension, etc. They do have a plan for weight loss as well as the regular plan which is to keep your blood sugars and cholesterol in check.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    MamaGab92 wrote: »

Why? Did your doctor tell you too?

What is with all the weird posts about the "DASH diet"? People do realize it stands for dietary approaches to stop hypertension, right? It's not a weightloss plan...

Actually there is a DASH diet for weight loss as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Seems reasonable enough (although I have my issues with the pyramid), but WHY do people have to follow some named diet? Why not just follow the pyramid or my plate or figure out what you (not you!) think is healthy and balanced. I SO don't understand it. Seems so weird to want to follow some special diet.
    I'd assume they want more guidance? Suggested meals etc.? I know when I started learning how to eat right, having a bit more guidance would have been helpful. But it was my first time trying anything other than what I'd been doing and didn't have any idea what I was doing.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I did the "DINE & DASH" when I was younger.
    Burned a lot of calories gettin the heck out of there............
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    aubaby wrote: »

I haven't seen it used for weight loss, but I have heard success stories for lowering blood pressure. I like the diet since it's not some crazy fad diet. It's a legit diet prescribed by doctors.

In case you need more info : http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456

recipes: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/recipes/dash-diet-recipes/rcs-20077146