How do you avoid Temptation?

Options
Temptation to eat things that are bad for us are everywhere! The store's we go to, the media, our friend's & family, what are some of your tactics for fighting the temptation?

Replies

• carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    I workout or chew a piece of gum. Sometimes I just give into the temptation, lol.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    knowledge is power for me... knowing that that piece of chocolate cake I really want to eat has 700 calories and it would take me an hour and a half to burn it off helps a lot... if you know the calorie content... think about how long you would need to spend at the gym to burn it off... being a perso that doesn't like to exercise ( I do it consistently, but don't especially like to) this helps me.

Or just yell "Be Gone temptation" southern baptist style at it :)
  • bayoucitygirl
    bayoucitygirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to have a little bit of my temptation -- I just try to eat little bits and its helped TONS not to completely cut things out. Like today I really wanted candy corn so I looked up a serving and had half. It was just enough to hit the spot :)
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    knowledge is power for me... knowing that that piece of chocolate cake I really want to eat has 700 calories and it would take me an hour and a half to burn it off helps a lot... if you know the calorie content... think about how long you would need to spend at the gym to burn it off... being a perso that doesn't like to exercise ( I do it consistently, but don't especially like to) this helps me.

^^^ that made me laugh out loud... thank you!
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Once in a while treat yourself, just work that bit harder in the gym that day. If you deny yourself all the time you will end up binging! Thats my piece of advice anyway from experience :wink:
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options

i've done this. it works. but don't do it when the baby's asleep on the living room floor. . .of course, if you're trying to comfort a terrified child, you can't eat. :laugh: :tongue: so, never mind.
  • bejay23
    bejay23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I carry a picture of my motivation with me in my wallet and also stick it on my fridge. Everytime I look at it I think...now will I be able to fit into this, or get to this weight number, or whatever the "motivation" is if I eat this quarter pounder w cheese!??! Works like a charm :)
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    I workout or chew a piece of gum. Sometimes I just give into the temptation, lol.

I hear ya! lmbo!
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I go to the store I try and stick to the outter edge of the store. In most cases all the bad foods are in the center aisles. Fruit, Veggies, Meats and Dairy are normally along the walls.

I try to never go shopping when I'm hungry and I always have sugar free gum in my purse. Also try asking yourself how you are going to feel AFTER you eat the food thats tempting you. If your like me you will be beating yourself up for the next 2 days because of it.

Good luck!
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I call it all Poison! I'll get offered a donut at work. No thanks. It's poison. Eventually it starts to work. Lol.
  • Green3yz
    Green3yz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the temptation really kills me. And I don't regularly work out because of time constraints, so I just remind myself that the temptation will take up too many calories, so I will not have enough calories for dinner, which would suck because I'd be hungry all night then.

So, I guess it goes back to the knowledge is power thing. I use the app for this site on my phone, and I pull it up whenever I am wondering if I can afford to eat something. Sometimes, seeing the numbers this app generates for certain foods is shocking, and that helps to drive me away from eating it.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I try not to let myself get to the point where I feel famished. I'm able to make better choices when I can think straight.
  • Sabs_21
    Sabs_21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a REALLY bad sweet tooth in the afternoon and of course my boss has a big bowl of chocolates on her desk for everyone to help themselves. I recently found some freeze dried fruit at Costco that have no added sugar, just fruit. With all of the water out of them they're sweet enough to keep me out of the chocolates and they're just 45 calories a packet. That or the 90 calorie packs of Mini Delight rice cakes in caramel drizzle.
  • Green3yz
    Green3yz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Bahaha awesome! I am going to use this method, lol.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Make sure to have a plan of how/what you will be eat all day. As long as you are well fed, you are less likely to cave into temptation. For example, if I'm going to be away from home for around 6 hours, I know that timespan is 2 meals, so I make sure to have a plan of where/what I will eat, and decide whether I need to bring food with me.
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    i try to eat clean so I can reward myself with something once I reach my goals. I had initially wanted to cut everything out in the beginning, but quite honestly, I am not the stop-it-right-now kinda person. I have to take it slow and easy and wean myself off of certain things.

I don't always give into temptation, but I am not really denying myself anything either. Like the other day I had a slice of pizza, but it was a slice cut into thirds and I ate 1/3 and left the rest.

You can do it. But don't feel restricted. Of course there are certain things you are going to have to eat less of or even avoid, but you will know which.

I wish you all the best!
  • izabel880805
    Options
    When I want sthing I eat it but in a small piece and only on weekends (the gooood stuff;p). After some time you will get used to small pieces:) When you are not eating it , you make the temptation bigger and than you eat a lot more and still want it!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Well, I understand and expect temptation to always be there, so I do two things.

1) I plan my meals out ahead of time. That way I can't rationalize eating something bad with, "I gotta eat sometime!" or some other lame excuse. I also us my diary to plan my temptations, so I know this morning that I would have a candy bar for a snack in the afternoon.

2) I keep myself out of situations were I know that temptation will inevitably strike. I don't bring fattening foods into thehouse, I pack a lunch and I rarely go out to restaraunts.
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've just had a bit of an argument with myself over a cupcake. I asked myself if I had one would I feel satisfied or would I want another ! 
    The answer was yes I'd want another, sooo if after eating one, I'd feel the same as if i hadnt eaten any at all, what's the point !!
    I probably haven't made sense but I was arguing with myself after all :)
  • jencsmith
    jencsmith Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been keeping the 100 calorie packs of chocolate crisps on hand -- i am having trouble with craving chocolate so with these i at least know the calories ahead of time and get the sweetness i am craving