Will this get my abs out of hiding?

Options
Hi! I currently have a layer of fat on top of my abs that i want to melt off to have a noticeable and toned mid-section. I am 5 ft 2 and am 19. i've been strength training for a year with cardio. I'm fit and healthy but my latest goal is to make my abs visible and have a smaller waist.
I have tried eating clean and intuitively but that was of no avail since i ate in huge portions and never tracked anything so the calories eventually accumulated to my maintenance or surplus calories. So it was difficult for me to see physical results from all my hard work at the gym.

I've decided to track macros and calories as i know that will be the most effective way to reach my goal. I'm having 1480 calories a day with a 35/35/30 split (129g carbs, 129 protein and 49 grams fat) I'll have a mix of "clean" and "dirty" foods during the day to reach my macros.

In terms of my fitness routine, it currently looks like this:

Monday: Upper body + 10-20min cardio (intervals on treadmill eg. 2min fast/ 2min slow)
Tuesday: Lower body + 10-20min cardio
Wednesday: HIIT (Sprints on spin bike) + 20-30 mins steady state or spin class
Thursday: Upper body + 10-20min cardio
Friday: Lower body + 10-20min cardio
Saturday: Arms + 10-20min cardio
Sunday: Rest

Feedback would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There are no "clean" and "dirty" foods. Eat at a deficit to lose, as the working out is for your health.
  • berrydana7
    berrydana7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    alright then! thanks!
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Losing weight would help to have visible ab because the first place your bodyfat start to disappear is your belly. But also I think lower carb + higher protein for muscle gain for the ab is good.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    you will need to lower BF % before you see any abs.

Lift heavy, Calorie deficit

Or if you don't have enough lean body mass then bulk and cut cycles will be needed
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You could try adding an extra 10-20 minutes of cardio to really burn away the calories and fat. You still want to keep in the strength training for overall fitness, a toned body, and lean muscle (which will burn more calories at resting). You could also focus on more HIIT training, for overall body toning WHILE keeping the heart rate way up and burning those calories.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here, read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

You're welcome. :wink:

PS: If you haven't seen the OP's abs yet, check them out on page 4 of the thread. That woman knows what it takes.
  • nicoleschwa48
    Options
    I've had problems with belly fat my whole life, and just recently cut out bread and I have ALREADY seen a difference in my 'flabs'. I tried all sorts of diets and workouts, but nothing works quite like ditching bread. It was hard, but I already lost craving for it!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    There are no "clean" and "dirty" foods. Eat at a deficit to lose, as the working out is for your health.

Agree. Otherwise, no need to add in a 3rd upper body day. And if you're able to follow up HIIT with more cardio, you're doing HIIT wrong. Otherwise your routine is the same as mine, just without the 3rd upper body day and I do shorter cardio sessions (10 mins post-weights)
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Clean eating only.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Agree. Otherwise, no need to add in a 3rd upper body day. And if you're able to follow up HIIT with more cardio, you're doing HIIT wrong. Otherwise your routine is the same as mine, just without the 3rd upper body day and I do shorter cardio sessions (10 mins post-weights)
    I agree. You have 2 upper body days, and will be in a deficit. There is no need whatsoever for an "arms" day. I feel like a lot of people aren't doing true HIIT. They do interval training and call it HIIT. If you do HIIT correctly you'll not be able to follow it with anything but resting. You'd be to exhausted/taxed to do further activity without rest. If you do feel up to doing something after a HIIT session, you didn't go hard enough.

• vismal
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Clean eating only.
    Clean eating only? My abs must not pay attention to that rule... There are no clean foods and clean eating is a completely meaningless term. You can eat virtually any food you want and still have abs providing you eat the foods in moderation.

• bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That's gynetics. Not everyone is equally blessed ^
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

It's not gynetics (sic), it's thermodynamics
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

I agree. You have 2 upper body days, and will be in a deficit. There is no need whatsoever for an "arms" day. I feel like a lot of people aren't doing true HIIT. They do interval training and call it HIIT. If you do HIIT correctly you'll not be able to follow it with anything but resting. You'd be to exhausted/taxed to do further activity without rest. If you do feel up to doing something after a HIIT session, you didn't go hard enough.

That's pretty much why I hate HIIT lol. I'd rather not be dead afterwards, I have a life to contend with!
  • vismal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Genetics she says...genetics...lol Where were those genetics back in 2011??? I must have had latent genetics that didn't show themselves until I turned 27...
    l28ah4he5c37.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It's only genetics in the sense that some people are genetically predisposed to bloat a bit when they eat certain foods. There is nothing "dirty" about those foods, just that some people have a digestive tract that responds to them by producing gas, retaining fluid, or both.
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Genetics she says...genetics...lol Where were those genetics back in 2011??? I must have had latent genetics that didn't show themselves until I turned 27...
    l28ah4he5c37.jpg

I just dropped my 100 calorie popcorn. :o
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm going out on a limb and guessing that Vismal's genetics might have had a meeting with a diet with a calorie deficit and a workout plan that is rich in IRON.....
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    thats not enough cardio, imo. do 30-45 mins and especially run sprints.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    l28ah4he5c37.jpg

dam you are gorgeous.