Overweight Personal Trainers - What's your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Perhaps the trainer used to be Obese at some point and did actually lose weight and are where they are now because of it. Perhaps they've gone from Obese to borderline Obese. Perhaps they are still in the middle of their loss.

This. But I guess many seem comfortable judging without knowing even a bit of backstory.

For comparison, all the advice that is posted on these boards should be posted by people in maintenance, with perfect bodies and minds?

Quoting myself because this discussion is getting ridiculous. What about all the scientific facts presented every day in this forum - is it less valid when coming out of the mouth of someone who is a work in progress still. I call bullsh*t on all the judgement passed in this thread.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    gelar93 wrote: »
    Codefox wrote: »
    Anyone can be a personal trainer. Just not mine.

Ahaha well said. You can technically be a PT regardless of your weight. But hey if you couldn't take care of yourself, why would I trust you? If I had the money to afford a personal trainer, I'd go with someone I could look up to.

A person who is overweight/obese can't take care of themselves? Interesting.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My BFF used an overweight trainer years ago. I saw him training her and some other women. They looked fantastic and got really strong. It wouldn't bother me as long as the person was qualifed, knew what they were talking about and had proven success. Losing weight and staying in shape is not easy to do. That's why so many of us struggle with maintenance. Life happens and sometimes even PTs can falter.

References and education are what matter to me. What I would not want is some arrogant, pompous know-it-all barking orders at me. I'd also want someone who will explain (and understands) exactly what and why they are having me do something.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ummm, people can have differing opinions. That doesn't automatically make someone judgmental. These are personal trainers that you are hiring to work for you and for you to be their customer. Customers have their right to choices.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I would give even more credence to a personal trainer (etc.) who had been obese and overcame that, got healthy. That's what I'm hoping to do. 51637601.png

I never thought about it this way but that does make sense. I thought about becoming a PT (for fun, part time) when I reach my goal weight and body and worried that somehow I'd be viewed negatively because I've been overweight. What better person to train you than one who has actually experienced what you are going through (struggles and successes).
    I'd argue a better person would be one who has gotten a high level of education in training, and possibly nutrition, and has then helped a large group of fatties get unfat.
    I'd say that's a far better choice of service provider than someone who was overweight at one point, but is otherwise green.

Not mutually exclusive.
    While true, which do you think is more common, a service provider with the proper educational background who is overweight.

Or, an overweight person who is less pr not overweight and now has a cert.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with a trainer who doesn't look the part yet is successful. It tells me he's been able to stay in business by providing more than just eye candy.. like technical knowledge and good people skills.

Some people are genetically lucky and have a naturally good physique regardless of how little they exercise.. so you can't assume they practice what they preach, nor that they know what they're talking about. They sometimes don't.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You people are ridiculous. I like the attacks on my character saying I am judgmental. I know fat trainers. I know skinny trainers. I know trainers who do stupid *kitten* exercises that increase injury. I know trainers who demonstrate bad form.

Or how about everyone judging the fit trainer as being an idiot meathead. See 18 posts above.

I am just stating. If people didn't care about the way they looked, who people be on my fitnesspal?

I would never make a client do something I can't do.

I lead by example. Not only have I have completed a half marathon, a full marathon, successful weight loss of 50 lbs, I have an education too. Judge me.

Would you hire a dentist with jacked up teeth?
    Would you hire a hair stylist with a jacked up haircut?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »
    You people are ridiculous. I like the attacks on my character saying I am judgmental. I know fat trainers. I know skinny trainers. I know trainers who do stupid *kitten* exercises that increase injury. I know trainers who demonstrate bad form.

Or how about everyone judging the fit trainer as being an idiot meathead. See 18 posts above.

I am just stating. If people didn't care about the way they looked, who people be on my fitnesspal?

I lead by example. Not only have I have completed a half marathon, a full marathon, successful weight loss of 50 lbs, I have an education too. Judge me.

@bos10fit‌ Take the tone down a notch or two. The attitude and snobbiness are not becoming. In fact, those are two traits that typically turn people away from a trainer (or anyone for that matter).

You said in your OP, "Is it fair to ask my clients to put in work to help their physical appearance when I don't for mine."

How do you know they aren't putting in the work? A PT who is overweight/obese can absolutely be actively trying to lose weight/become healthier. It's presumptuous to think otherwise.
  • bos10fit
    Options
    Not snob at all. A general statement.

Yes, they could be actively doing these things, and I am NOT saying don't hire an overweight trainer. I am just making a general statement. The fitness industry is one heck of a hard place to be.

I own a studio. You're constantly under scrutiny. You're constantly judged. It's the nature of the business.

Obesity is an EPIDEMIC in this country. We are the fattest country in the world. 70% of people are overweight and/or obese and 33% of CHILDREN.

What is up with the fat acceptance lately? The TV shows talking about how it's OKAY to be fat yada yada yada.

I need to get off here and go focus on more educated tasks like writing up workouts for my 20 clients.

Argh.

No one is allowed to have an opinion these days without getting rammed down the throat.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Yes, they could be actively doing these things, and I am NOT saying don't hire an overweight trainer. I am just making a general statement. The fitness industry is one heck of a hard place to be.

I own a studio. You're constantly under scrutiny. You're constantly judged. It's the nature of the business.

Obesity is an EPIDEMIC in this country. We are the fattest country in the world. 70% of people are overweight and/or obese and 33% of CHILDREN.

What is up with the fat acceptance lately? The TV shows talking about how it's OKAY to be fat yada yada yada.

I need to get off here and go focus on more educated tasks like writing up workouts for my 20 clients.

Argh.

No one is allowed to have an opinion these days without getting rammed down the throat.

Your tone comes off as snobby.

America is no longer the most obese country in the world. Mexico is.
  • dbmata
    Options

I lead by example. Not only have I have completed a half marathon, a full marathon,
    successful weight loss of 50 lbs, I have an education too. Judge me.

For ----'s sake.

This was flagged? People need to get over this silly thin skin thing.

Bolded parts are why someone could be a good trainer. Experience, education.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    A trainer is supposed to know how to teach, understand the physiology and help you meet your personal fitness goals.

I would say, an obese person could do that fine.

The real issue is finding a trainer you can connect with.
  • bos10fit
    Options
    This is a message board. I am not talking.

How can you tell my tone?

Way to defend fat America again.
  • dbmata
    Options
    A trainer is supposed to know how to teach, understand the physiology and help you meet your personal fitness goals.

I would say, an obese person could do that fine.

The real issue is finding a trainer you can connect with.

Large part of teaching is demonstration. IF too fat to demonstrate, too fat for job.
  • bos10fit
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I lead by example. Not only have I have completed a half marathon, a full marathon,
    successful weight loss of 50 lbs, I have an education too. Judge me.

For ----'s sake.

This was flagged? People need to get over this silly thin skin thing.

Bolded parts are why someone could be a good trainer. Experience, education.

Yeah, I got flagged. It's my tone. ;)

I am assuming since everyone would hire a fat trainer, they would hire a trainer who smokes too!!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Being heavy doesn't equal being out of shape, just like being skinny doesn't equal being in shape.

I think the examples of Olympic level power lifters was spot on.

It also isn't about what THEY can or can not physically do. If my trainer can't do something, but I potentially can with training/spotting, then I would expect them to know that and help me with that. Example, one of my friends is a power lifter and is also a trainer.Her weakness is running, though. That doesn't mean she isn't a great trainer. I am not trying to be the best my trainer can be, I am trying to be the best I can be. And a good trainer, no matter their size or shape, should be able to help with that.

Now...if we were in a training session, and they pull out donuts in the middle of it, then I have a problem. (Also, I don't really care if they smoke in their own time - because I know better than to start smoking just because my trainer does. But if they start puffing while they are in a session with me, nope. NOT okay!)
  • jwt015
    jwt015 Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Options
    An overweight personal trainer may be more approachable for someone who needs a PT and is overweight as well. The client may be more comfortable dealing with someone of that body type.

My guess is they are great PTs if they are overweight and have a job as a PT...they must be doing something right!

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    So what's everyone's thoughts?

You may be confusing "overweight" and "unfit". Years ago I'd been training at a sport for over a year and was better at it than most skinnier people--despite being overweight. I had gone from 89lbs over my goal weight when I began to 29lbs over by then. My muscles were well-trained and well-adapted for that sport. Occasionally, I had to deal with an organizer suggesting I try something easier. Once I was simply told I could not enter--they wouldn't believe I could handle it.

Would weight have made me a poor teacher at the sport or exercises for it?

Weight loss primarily happens in the kitchen. Most trainers are not registered dieticians.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Argh.

[/quote

Gotta say that, judging from your free use of the word Fat and your judgmental attitude, it's just as well that you own your own studio because I'd never hire you in my Health and Wellness Center with an attitude like that. Then again, unless you have a 4 year degree in the Field and an ACSM HFS Cert, CHES, or are an RD you wouldn't be able to apply for a job with us.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good discussion though