Late night cravings

Options
Hello everyone I'm julie

So I've decided to loose weight this year and I've been doing great since the new year (2 weeks now). I've lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I've been meeting my calorie goals almost everyday but my struggle is I get really hungry about 2-3 hours after I eat dinner. I know that I'm not supposed to eat 3 hours before I go to bed.. But sometimes I can't help it and I eat a snack. How can I stop these night cravings? Help?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When eating and logging your meals, try to leave some extra calories at the end of the day for a snack. There is nothing wrong late night snacking as long as it fits in your calorie allotment :)

BTW Good job on losing your first 4 pounds!!
  • juliekay0824
    Options
    Thank you!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm julie

So I've decided to loose weight this year and I've been doing great since the new year (2 weeks now). I've lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I've been meeting my calorie goals almost everyday but my struggle is I get really hungry about 2-3 hours after I eat dinner. I know that I'm not supposed to eat 3 hours before I go to bed.. But sometimes I can't help it and I eat a snack. How can I stop these night cravings? Help?

Why aren't you supposed to eat then? Is it because you have problem sleeping or because of the myth you shouldn't eat before bed? If its because of the myth, there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating before bed.
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I leave about 200 calories to use at the end of the day. It's the only way I can do it. I lost about 50 lbs but have recently put about 15 back on and am back to it actively working on getting it back off and yep...that includes leaving room for the late night munchies.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water throughout the day, and if you can, more water after dinner, too. Or maybe a hot cup of tea might help?
  • juliekay0824
    Options
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hello everyone I'm julie

Why aren't you supposed to eat then? Is it because you have problem sleeping or because of the myth you shouldn't eat before bed? If its because of the myth, there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating before bed.

I'm ok with my sleeping but I don't eat at night because my metabolism is slower at night.

• juliekay0824
    Options
    I will try to drink more water... Thanks
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Hello everyone I'm julie

I'm ok with my sleeping but I don't eat at night because my metabolism is slower at night.

Metabolism does not slow down in the evening. This is a myth.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I found weight watchers hot chocolate the other day lol only bout 35 calories if you just add hot water. Keeps my chocolate cravings away. :expressionless:
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm julie

we only burn about 65 calories per hour while sleeping, digestion slows down considerably. its not a myth its science

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    Hello everyone I'm julie

we only burn about 65 calories per hour while sleeping, digestion slows down considerably. its not a myth its science

Stop talking about things you don't understand. 24 hrs energy balance is all that matters, not the time of day you eat
  • juliekay0824
    Options
    Thanks guys for your opinions
  • GregRamz
    GregRamz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm julie

It's awesome to hear that you're changing to a healthy lifestyle. I'd suggest drinking at least a gallon of water a day. I did that and I'm up to 2 gallons a day. It really helps keep me full when I'm not eating. However, when I am in need of a snack (late at night) I go to the freezer and get some frozen fruit, mainly blueberries. I remember reading somewhere that it's good to eat something cold because your body has to work to turn it to your body's temperature. So you can snack with no regrets!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Hello everyone I'm julie

Nope. That would be a myth.
  • Unclewigging
    Unclewigging Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try a casein protein shake as a pre bed snack/meal. Elite makes some tasty ones, cinnamon bun, peanut butter vanilla, etc... Slow digesting, filling, and could be made to fit your macros.
  • adamdlc
    adamdlc Posts: 34
    Options
    save yourself some room for something like a casein shake. Slow Digesting protein or like Try peanut butter :) Fats burn slow
  • stevesfoods
    stevesfoods Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been giving in to a cup or two of air popped popcorn to make the late night munchies go away. Only 30-35 calories per cup
  • juliekay0824
    Options
    Try a casein protein shake as a pre bed snack/meal. Elite makes some tasty ones, cinnamon bun, peanut butter vanilla, etc... Slow digesting, filling, and could be made to fit your macros.

Sounds great. Where can I buy those
  • juliekay0824
    Options
    GregRamz wrote: »
    Hello everyone I'm julie

It's awesome to hear that you're changing to a healthy lifestyle. I'd suggest drinking at least a gallon of water a day. I did that and I'm up to 2 gallons a day. It really helps keep me full when I'm not eating. However, when I am in need of a snack (late at night) I go to the freezer and get some frozen fruit, mainly blueberries. I remember reading somewhere that it's good to eat something cold because your body has to work to turn it to your body's temperature. So you can snack with no regrets!

Thanks. I'm really going to start drinking more water. That seems to help a lot of people. I just get so busy at work and at home with taking care of my family that I forget to drink water
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Have a big veggie salad with 2 Tbsp of lite dressing at night. This works well for me in terms of satisfaction, and the vitamins and fiber are good for you. :D