Does your job hinder/hurt your health goals?

Options
2»

Replies

• ItIsTJ
    ItIsTJ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Shortest answer ever. No. I'm a Personal Trainer.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I used to have a home health job, traveling to different people's homes. I had to stop places like McDonald's to use the bathroom...forget about the 64 Oz of water a day! Anyway, I felt like I had to make a purchase...usually something small like a water, or a small fry.

Now, I just have a job that is so mentally and physically overwhelming, I leave this place each day, just wasted. I know exercise and losing weight will make me feel better. ..if I can just get there...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    So, after reading this thread I took my laptop into our wellness room and watched my training video at the treadmill desk.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    sherambler wrote: »
    If you can't take a lunch, can you eat at your desk? If not, are you allowed to have drinks? Maybe just relying on protein shakes or smoothies that you could make in the morning and have throughout the day might be an option? Or relying on small, filling snacks like meat and cheese rollups or trail mix or yogurt and granola.

Nope, Im not allowed to have drinks at all. Or food. i work in a medical capacity so i cant have food or drink anywhere around me for the duration that I"m working - many times 10-12 hours at a time. It's horrible. I will probably just quit
  • krawhitham
    Options
    I became depressed and (more) anxious and was surrounded by toxic personalities at work. My job was as an enforcer with no back up from top management.

This is what I can relate with. I've had the past 5 years of living with toxic personalities at work, and trying to get out of jobs and into new ones to find my ideal spot in life. I don't want to settle, and I don't want to make a *kitten* job "work for me"

Today, the boss yelled at one of my coworkers for letting the phone ring twice before answering it. There was no rhyme or reason to her scolding, but she yelled and berated this employee in front of a bunch of us, and this coworker works very hard and was not doing anything wrong. I can't work somewhere where me and my hard working coworkers are being disrespected by toxic personalities. It's mentally unsettling and weight loss is, above all, mental.
  • sarahb1340
    Options
    My job absolutely plays a big part in my weight! I sit at a desk all day, hardly ever am able to get up...and working at a drs office the drug reps are constantly bringing good in...I so wish that I had better self control but unfortunately I love to eat
  • krawhitham
    Options
    So, after reading this thread I took my laptop into our wellness room and watched my training video at the treadmill desk.

YAY! Go you! Reading this thread has given me hope, in an odd way. So many people have jobs that hinder their weight loss... from toxic personalities to bosses that don't allow lunch breaks (which encourages snacking when possible and overdoing it on calories)

I hope that ALL of us can figure out ways around our jobs to still be healthy and lose weight! And if not, then quit!!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    krawhitham wrote: »
    I became depressed and (more) anxious and was surrounded by toxic personalities at work. My job was as an enforcer with no back up from top management.

This is what I can relate with. I've had the past 5 years of living with toxic personalities at work, and trying to get out of jobs and into new ones to find my ideal spot in life. I don't want to settle, and I don't want to make a *kitten* job "work for me"

Today, the boss yelled at one of my coworkers for letting the phone ring twice before answering it. There was no rhyme or reason to her scolding, but she yelled and berated this employee in front of a bunch of us, and this coworker works very hard and was not doing anything wrong. I can't work somewhere where me and my hard working coworkers are being disrespected by toxic personalities. It's mentally unsettling and weight loss is, above all, mental.

I absolutely agree with you.

I have a history of leaving jobs that were not a good fit for me psychologically, but I have also gotta confess that I know it is not always easy. The job I mentioned here, I held for almost five years and knew I needed to get out of there. It took losing my home in a natural disaster and using that as the excuse, to leave on good terms and get out of there. It wasn't until I'd left that organization that I realized just how bizarre it was and how a lot of things there deeply affected me in ways I had considered & other ways I hadn't. It's scary sometimes to make that jump especially if it's a high paying and/or "important" position. So I get it when people have trouble doing so.

Since then I had to try a lot of jobs that were NOT a fit for me, and although my current position is not perfect and there are good days and bad...I am very happy & content overall. For me it was worth a small pay cut and less impressive "title" to have that happy after hours life again.

• picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hurts hurts hurts and hinders!!!
    My work is stressful and a matter of life and death. To boot I sit all day and do not have breaks. I could just eat my weight in candy if I did not plan the night before and pack my meals!!
  • krawhitham
    Options
    I am thinking quitting will be best for my health. I told my manager I had a 101 fever and she asked me to come in anyway for two hours until she got to work
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this same thing everyday, and more so that it hinders my activities outside of work. It's one thing to sit at a desk for 8+ hours a day, but to go into the evening hours where it's difficult to squeeze in exercising is not good. I've been trying to relocate employment for a few months, but my area has been tough for IT work. I've even contemplated alternative employment opportunities outside of what I have a degree in just to suit my lifestyle and health needs. It's taken a lot of willpower to lose the weight I have already, and I don't want to fall back again.
  • FrothyGibblets
    FrothyGibblets Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My job takes me away for 2-3 weeks at a time, hotels and on the road. No access to home cooking, in countries where I don't speak the language, so you often tend to go for foods where you know what they are.

I also work as part of a team, so it's the norm to go out in the evenings together, normally to something like a Hard Rock or TGI Friday's, again because you know what you're getting/always have menus in English etc. I was big beforehand anyway, but it becomes incredibly easy to eat/drink your way through 3-4k calories a day, even worse when 95% of your job is sat behind a steering wheel.

It's not impossible, I've had some success, but it certainly makes it more difficult than when I am at home, including the social aspect among my colleagues, they have 3 course meals with a couple of beers and I'm sat there on the WiFi trying to log what I'm eating, drinking bottled water lol.