Affording your new lifestyle: tips and tricks for the grocery store!

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this excellent post! It helped a lot :smiley:

You're welcome!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    10868216_628577143914439_4043144741882764086_n.jpg?oh=ed516c2db2f5f086a1368ba0d22a3199&oe=54FDBB63

Lol!
    But, you can buy organic and not turn into the second photo! I actually got a great deal on organic carrots today for a 1lb bag; only $.99! Only reason why I didn't buy the 2lb non-organic bag ($1.99) was because I only needed 1lb for a soup I'm making. So I saved by only buying what I needed. I could have bought a second one as well, and saved a penny on 2lbs total.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that my local grocery store has an app where I can download coupons. They even have some for produce and meats. After I spend so much at the store I'll get a coupon for $5 off my next grocery bill.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Great post! If you are looking for more hints for saving money at the supermarket or cooking, the magic search word is frugal. Google 'frugal groceries,' 'frugal recipes,' etc. and you'll find links to lots of sites with great suggestions.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Great post! If you are looking for more hints for saving money at the supermarket or cooking, the magic search word is frugal. Google 'frugal groceries,' 'frugal recipes,' etc. and you'll find links to lots of sites with great suggestions.

Yep! I am in the process of making a huge batch of chicken soup right now, and without factoring in the spices I already had on hand, it only cost me $6.97 to make. I'll easily get 4-6 servings out of this. Cooking in bulk with inexpensive ingredients or stuff on sale is so helpful!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    great post!
  • caseythelab
    caseythelab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this website and it is amazing what this woman comes up with. I live far from California, so I don't have the same year-round produce available, but it's still pretty awesome: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    seconding poor girl eats well.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    *save for later*
  • Dessalena
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Saw the post up there saying $1.79 for a gallon of milk and I just about choked: a fabulous sale price for 1 gallon where I live is $3.29 for store brand, and they FLY off the shelves when it goes on that markdown. .

$3.29 is one of the cheaper prices around me for milk also. Kroger has milk 2/$5 right now ( and often do) If I am out of ( or close to it) then I buy 4 gallons at a time. We can easily go through 3 gallons a week with 2 adults and 3 (sometimes 4 or more) kids here.

Prices on everything else seem to just keep rising. Planning on checking my local Fresh Thyme, as I hear they have good produce prices.

OP, I'm not a college student but as a mom on a budget, I am constantly looking to save.

• missiontofitness
    Options
    Dessalena wrote: »
    Phrick wrote: »
    Saw the post up there saying $1.79 for a gallon of milk and I just about choked: a fabulous sale price for 1 gallon where I live is $3.29 for store brand, and they FLY off the shelves when it goes on that markdown. .

$3.29 is one of the cheaper prices around me for milk also. Kroger has milk 2/$5 right now ( and often do) If I am out of ( or close to it) then I buy 4 gallons at a time. We can easily go through 3 gallons a week with 2 adults and 3 (sometimes 4 or more) kids here.

Prices on everything else seem to just keep rising. Planning on checking my local Fresh Thyme, as I hear they have good produce prices.

OP, I'm not a college student but as a mom on a budget, I am constantly looking to save.

Milk is definitely one of those regional things. Luckily its inexpensive here; I don't drink it, but use it for baking and cooking. I can get one of the smallest bottles for only $1.59, and the gallons aren't much more expensive than what I buy.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Gonna reiterate my point on cheap meat (if you are a meat eater).

I just got two giant NY Strip steaks today (1.34lb for both) for a little over $7. They usually go for $10.99lb, but I got them on clearance for a little over $3.50 each.

Their sell by date is in 2 days, which is more than enough time to marinate them, cook them up, and enjoy them. I can also cut them into four separate steaks, so each steak will only be around $1.75 each. What a steal!
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    The price of food in the US is much lower than Canada. I envy the prices I see. The cheapest bananas ever are is .77/lb at Walmart. We spend $150 every week for two people and I bake snacks for hubby's lunch to keep costs down. That being said he doesn't like a lot of generic brands so that doesn't help and couponing isn't that great here, no double coupon days and things like that.

i'm with you. there's a site called hillbillyhousewife and they had an "emergency menu" that was supposedly $45 when it was written. i went to my local cheapest grocer and priced it out at over $90. granted a little of that was inflation, but it just goes to show you, prices are really not anywhere near each other!
  • firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In to save this for money saving tips! And the great job OP did
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    25ah2bpmb22v.jpg

Just got all of this for $10! Huge sale going on at my local store.
    Basil is usually about $1.99 per 1oz container, but they had this 4oz container on sale for $2.50 if you bought four qualifying items.

Pays to look at the sale flyer. :)
    sale.jpg 111.8K
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I go to a tiny "organic" store across the street. 20 bucks gets me like cottage cheese, eggs, and bread I swear. It is absolutely killing my bank account.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    $20 gets me *non-organic* cheese, $8, ham, $5, eggs, $4, and almost some milk where I live.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh okay, maybe it's not that bad then.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    $5 for a tub of prepared salad?? How much would a lettuce cost?
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great tips I can't wrap my head around the extreme couponing. I know people do great with it but I just don't have the time to devote to this AND pan what I eat, keep up with the kids/cats/house/job and exercise.

One thing I do is comb my stores flyers for sales and plan my menu around what meats/produce they have on sale when I can (it works out really well in the warm months because they tend to put barbecue favorites on sale a lot. That has saved me a bit. Plus I get rewards points DH can use for gas discounts.