2»

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hello everyone I'm julie

So I've decided to loose weight this year and I've been doing great since the new year (2 weeks now). I've lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I've been meeting my calorie goals almost everyday but my struggle is I get really hungry about 2-3 hours after I eat dinner. I know that I'm not supposed to eat 3 hours before I go to bed.. But sometimes I can't help it and I eat a snack. How can I stop these night cravings? Help?

Why aren't you supposed to eat then? Is it because you have problem sleeping or because of the myth you shouldn't eat before bed? If its because of the myth, there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating before bed.

we only burn about 65 calories per hour while sleeping, digestion slows down considerably. its not a myth its science

Digestion and metabolism are two different things. With all due respect what you say sounds as if everyone has a clock inside themselves that registers when it is night. The human body does not work this way.
    Many of us eat a very large meal right before ( or in my case within 60-90 minutes ) before bed and still lose weight. In my case 55 pounds.
    In order to lose weight you need to figure out what works for you and what is sustainable in the long run. If it is easier for you to stick with a food regimen if you have a late night snack, then by all means build it into your program. You will be presumably doing this for more than just one day and over the long run ( a week, month, several month, years ) it all evens out.
    Good Luck to you !
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    GregRamz wrote: »
    Hello everyone I'm julie

So I've decided to loose weight this year and I've been doing great since the new year (2 weeks now). I've lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I've been meeting my calorie goals almost everyday but my struggle is I get really hungry about 2-3 hours after I eat dinner. I know that I'm not supposed to eat 3 hours before I go to bed.. But sometimes I can't help it and I eat a snack. How can I stop these night cravings? Help?

It's awesome to hear that you're changing to a healthy lifestyle. I'd suggest drinking at least a gallon of water a day. I did that and I'm up to 2 gallons a day. It really helps keep me full when I'm not eating. However, when I am in need of a snack (late at night) I go to the freezer and get some frozen fruit, mainly blueberries. I remember reading somewhere that it's good to eat something cold because your body has to work to turn it to your body's temperature. So you can snack with no regrets!

I also read somewhere that eating something really cold does burn extra calories.
    For a very large glass of very icy tea it was something like 1.8 ( yes, less than two ) calories.....:o).
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like to have a nice hot glass of peppermint tea before bed or an apple and that usually does the trick.
  • minamu68
    Options
    I agree with saving some calories for nighttime. Also, I find that having something that has a good amount of fiber but not so many calories is good for nighttime. If you like sweet, try a gala or fuji apple, about 80 calories. For crunchy, maybe a KIND granola bar, about 150 calories. Or for volume, a salad. I used to eat dill pickles when I was hungry, basically no calories and lots of flavor, but they are extremely high in sodium, so not so much anymore. I like heirloom tomatoes sliced in half with a little kosher salt, or a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and baby carrots for crunch. Or, try some protein for satisfaction, like some lowfat cheese or some greek yogurt. Cabot makes 50% and 75% fat free cheeses that still taste like cheese. Laughing cow soft cheese is also good with some kind of light crackers. They even make a lite version which tastes about the same as regular. Good luck!
  • irene4134
    irene4134 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hei Julie ... it's normal to feel hungry 2 or 3 hrs after a meal. ..i make sure I have my dinner an hour before I sleep... if am held up and its a very late dinner I'd rather go for a light meal like a great salad then straight to bed.

For ur problem I wud suggest u go to bed early to avoid late night eating. .. i also read somewhere that it's not ideal to snack after dinner... but i do and I wish to stop.. but i realise that if I go to bed early I dnt crave...
    Gud luck
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    irene4134 wrote: »
    Hei Julie ... it's normal to feel hungry 2 or 3 hrs after a meal. ..i make sure I have my dinner an hour before I sleep... if am held up and its a very late dinner I'd rather go for a light meal like a great salad then straight to bed.

For ur problem I wud suggest u go to bed early to avoid late night eating. .. i also read somewhere that it's not ideal to snack after dinner... but i do and I wish to stop.. but i realise that if I go to bed early I dnt crave...
    Gud luck

Where did you hear that because it is myth.
  • irene4134
    irene4134 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Myth or no myth it's in health sites. By the way every1 shud stick to what works for them and not crush what works for others. For me it makes sense if I snack healthy on a fruit I lose well but if I over snack I gain... plus there is no reason to stockpile calories at night when u going to sleep... ur body doesn't need them
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before bed either. A lot of times, I just go read in bed to avoid the temptation of a late night snack. Mostly though, I just remind myself how proud I'll be of myself in the morning if I don't give into the snack urge.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat at night, then I would be hungry and therefore my body would need those calories. Eat what works for you and what is sustainable, otherwise you will find yourself binging or stopping what you are doing.
  • GregRamz
    GregRamz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also read somewhere that eating something really cold does burn extra calories.
    For a very large glass of very icy tea it was something like 1.8 ( yes, less than two ) calories.....:o).
    Just something to keep in mind