Trying to do a sit up is like watching uma thurman wiggle her big toe.

Options
painfullyshy84
painfullyshy84 Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi
Can anyone suggest alternative ab exercises to sit ups?

Seriously doing one proper sit up or crunch is almost impossible, my body just goes 'I don't know how to do that'

I can do leg lifts, with straight or bent legs that seem to engage my abs (I can feel them for several hours after). Would let lifts be enough to start and work up to crunches and do you think that would be a good way to start?

Replies

• Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Crunches in some case can be more beneficial that sit ups.

You can do it. Remember with a crunch it's a case of engaging your abs (pulling you're belly tight) and then lifting your shoulders off the floor towards the ceiling. Breathing is key as well. Don't forget to breath lol.
    You should start to feel it after about ten or 20 reps if you're a beginner.
    Also planks are fantastic for abs, Google 30 day plank challenges and follow one of them. You'll be amazed x
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Try curl ups - like situps but go slowly curling upwards and don't go all the way up. Pilates leg raises are also good if done right. I have the Darcey Bussell Pilates for Life dvd which is really good.
  • richjones1968
    Options
    Pilates is the way to go. Whether in a class or get an instructional DVD to give you ideas for exercises to do at home. Works the whole core much better than sit ups/crunches and the basic exercises don't actually feel like an effort even though they work wonders. Just concentrate on mastering the technique of engaging your muscles and regulating your breathing - instructor will explain and its not too hard.
  • samanthajf867
    Options
    Crunches in some case can be more beneficial that sit ups.

You can do it. Remember with a crunch it's a case of engaging your abs (pulling you're belly tight) and then lifting your shoulders off the floor towards the ceiling. Breathing is key as well. Don't forget to breath lol.
    You should start to feel it after about ten or 20 reps if you're a beginner.
    Also planks are fantastic for abs, Google 30 day plank challenges and follow one of them. You'll be amazed x
    I always forget to breath lol
    After about 3 sit-ups I'm like 'oh yeah, I need air'
    I heard planks were great but difficult for beginners, but I think I'll give your suggestion a go and Google that. It also may be time to invest in a mat. I'm so new at all of this, but I'm determined to make this lifestyle change and become healthy, fit, and happy!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts.
  • painfullyshy84
    painfullyshy84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can plank pretty good for a beginner, I will look into that 30 day challenge and check out Pilates. Doing crunches/ roll ups is actually harder for me than a sit up. I am not sure why - I think its because all my muscle is in my back and shoulders and not much in front to balance it out :-) is that even an excuse? Lol. Thanks guys and gals.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I never could do a crunch or a sit up, gave up.
    There are so many other exercises that work your abs and more, just move on and find something that is more satisfying.
    Look for a full body workout, your abs will be used in all the exercises. check out nerd fitness and fitness blender for home exercises.
    Cheers, h
    I agree. Planks are a great challenge, they look so easy but aren't. I do them as a time challenge in the kitchen while waiting for the microwave to beep.
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, have the same problem, but your post made me giggle.
    Oh - I did do the put me feet under the couch to hold them down and that did help.