Would MediFast be a good fit for me? Should I see a weight loss doc? [f, 5'4", 215lbs, age 23]

Options
fatfriendonadiet
fatfriendonadiet Posts: 36 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
It's starting to appeal to me. My weight loss has been stalled from 240 for almost two years. (In which I finished and graduated from college, moved twice, got a pretty awesome job and a cute apartment, fell in love, did some cool stuff -- but, yeah, on the weight loss front...not much has happened.)

I'm not married or engaged, live alone, and have a high stress job with a long commute. I'm recovering from a fairly serious but not life threatening injury, and I don't know how much exercise I'll be able to do in the next few months (unless physical therapy counts).

I snore, which bothers me deeply. When I weighed 160 three years ago, I slept way better and felt kind of pretty, so I think that's my goal weight.

Any advice? Any horror stories?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    What happens after you go off medifast and back to your old eating habits? Why not practice sustainable eating habits now? You can lose weight without exercise.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    What happens after you go off medifast and back to your old eating habits? Why not practice sustainable eating habits now? You can lose weight without exercise.

Yup. Only advice you need. If you just eat/drink fewer calories than you burn through your regular daily activity, you will lose weight. Exercise is a bonus, but not necessary.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Everyone that I know that has done medifast (myself included) has put all or almost all of the weight back on. If you stick to logging here, you WILL lose weight and be able to function in the real world the whole time.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's starting to appeal to me. My weight loss has been stalled from 240 for almost two years. (In which I finished and graduated from college, moved twice, got a pretty awesome job and a cute apartment, fell in love, did some cool stuff -- but, yeah, on the weight loss front...not much has happened.)

I'm not married or engaged, live alone, and have a high stress job with a long commute. I'm recovering from a fairly serious but not life threatening injury, and I don't know how much exercise I'll be able to do in the next few months (unless physical therapy counts).

I snore, which bothers me deeply. When I weighed 160 three years ago, I slept way better and felt kind of pretty, so I think that's my goal weight.

I've not used MediFast, but the snoring is probably Sleep Apnea. I have experience with this. Once I lost weight, no more snoring or Sleep Apnea. You might need a CPAP machine.

From the Mayo Clinic:
    Sleep apnea is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. You may have sleep apnea if you snore loudly and you feel tired even after a full night's sleep.

There are two main types of sleep apnea:

Obstructive sleep apnea, the more common form that occurs when throat muscles relax
    Central sleep apnea, which occurs when your brain doesn't send proper signals to the muscles that control breathing

If you think you might have sleep apnea, see your doctor. Treatment is necessary to avoid heart problems and other complications.

Sorry, I don't want to scare you, but you can easily find out by having a sleep study and if you do have it, wear a CPAP machine.

Best regards and good luck with your weight loss. You can be successful with MFP. And like other posters have said, I don't think MediFast is the answer. You should see a doctor.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

stick with MFP, eat at a calorie deficit, add in some exercise when you can, be patient... simple!