Eating habits

Options
I need to gain weight. This is a health issue since I'm underweight. Been underweight most of my life. I enjoy working out. I have trouble getting the right amount of calories in a day. Don't get hungry or get full very easily. What can I do?

Replies

• nerr7
    nerr7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Most people are going to tell you to incorporate more calorie dense foods and healthy fats such as nuts, nut butters, avocado, oils etc
    If you really are serious about gaining weight you're just going to have to make yourself eat honestly! over time you'll find the more you eat- the hungrier you get. trust me on this one! I've been there- i started off eating around 1200 calories about 6 months ago and I seriously felt so full all the time.. I'm now eating almost double and i still get hungry! You're metabolism will become much more efficient as it becomes used to the extra food.

also try eating more smaller meals throughout the day if you have time to do so.. this will help if you find you get full too quickly eating large meals.

when you say you enjoy working out- are you lifting weights or just doing more cardio? lifting weights over cardio will help you gain some more muscle mass- the more muscle you have, the higher your BMR (basal metabolic rate) will become and the hungrier you will get! :) hope this makes sense and helps!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    liquid calories will be a big help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat little and often, and make friends with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense items will help you get more calories in without all the bulk: nuts, nut butters, avocado, oil, ice cream, full-fat dairy, etc..

You can get a mass gainer shake. Depending on how you make it, it could be an extra 500-1200 calories in one drink.

Eat dessert (if you don't already). I can easily down 150-600 (or more) calories on just ice cream and cookies in the evening.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Are you in therapy from a medical professional?

My thoughts too. OP if you have been diagnosed and are/have been in treatment for an ED please discuss with your doctor. Otherwise eat some highly calorific foods like ice cream, chocolate, french fries, gummie bears etc. These won't fill you up as quickly and are great for addinig calories.
  • chellebelle814
    Options
    I have the same problem... I've noticed however that when I've had a coffee, it seems to take my appetite from me.. I'm going to limit coffee to after food... maybe this would help?
  • ruki72
    ruki72 Posts: 5
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Are you in therapy from a medical professional?
    No, I'm in the army reserves, normally let it slide that I'm underweight. More worry about overweight soldiers.

• ruki72
    Options
    I have the same problem... I've noticed however that when I've had a coffee, it seems to take my appetite from me.. I'm going to limit coffee to after food... maybe this would help?
    I don't drink coffee, I drink water or milk throughout the day. I try to keep a healthy body. Healthy food tend to be low in calories.
  • ruki72
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Calorie dense items will help you get more calories in without all the bulk: nuts, nut butters, avocado, oil, ice cream, full-fat dairy, etc..

You can get a mass gainer shake. Depending on how you make it, it could be an extra 500-1200 calories in one drink.

Eat dessert (if you don't already). I can easily down 150-600 (or more) calories on just ice cream and cookies in the evening.

I actually bought a mass gainer last month. On and off with it.

• ruki72
    Options
    nerr7 wrote: »
    Most people are going to tell you to incorporate more calorie dense foods and healthy fats such as nuts, nut butters, avocado, oils etc
    If you really are serious about gaining weight you're just going to have to make yourself eat honestly! over time you'll find the more you eat- the hungrier you get. trust me on this one! I've been there- i started off eating around 1200 calories about 6 months ago and I seriously felt so full all the time.. I'm now eating almost double and i still get hungry! You're metabolism will become much more efficient as it becomes used to the extra food.

also try eating more smaller meals throughout the day if you have time to do so.. this will help if you find you get full too quickly eating large meals.

when you say you enjoy working out- are you lifting weights or just doing more cardio? lifting weights over cardio will help you gain some more muscle mass- the more muscle you have, the higher your BMR (basal metabolic rate) will become and the hungrier you will get! :) hope this makes sense and helps!

Thank you for the advice.
  • kierantyler
    kierantyler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been adding mass gainer (Serious Mass Vanilla) into muffin mix and oatmeal. I generally put 1/4c into half a cup of oatmeal, and then you don't need to add sweetener but try things like peanut butter (more filling than you'd think), bananas, etc. And 1/2c-3/4c in muffin mix makes them not too dense to eat, and tastes good. So far I've done banana muffins and blueberry. Adds calories, among other things, and fills you up a bit more. I've found that doing that also makes it easier to eat multiple smaller meals, and lots of snacks, which adds up to almost twice as many calories as I'd been consuming the last few months...

Whenever you leave home try to take a couple snacks with you. Trail mix is a good one I've found, filling and healthy, along with doctored muffins. That way when you do get hungry you have an option rather than letting the feeling go away. That's my biggest problem.

Your body will get used to eating more/more often very quickly, then you'll start eating more without having to work hard on it.