Fruit - good for your diet, but is it bad for weightloss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie goal you can eat whatever you want and lose weight.
    You might feel better or fuller if you eat a certain amount of protein foods, fats, grains, vegetables and fruits instead of large amounts of just one thing. Fruit might not fill you up as much as a regular serving of lentils, meat or cheese. Something to think about.
  • lismany
    lismany Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for such helpful information! I think I am going to try and replace my fruit snacks (not the gummy kind) with veggies. I was never really a fan of veggies unless they are on a plate accompanied with other flavors and things.

Anyone eat veggie snacks regularly and recommend anything?

I could so celery with a smidge of peanut butter? Or is that counter-productive...
  • Laurashar34
    Laurashar34 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I quite often snack on chopped up carrots, celery and cucumber with some low fat houmous or Tzatziki for dipping. I just make sure I properly weight and count what I'm eating to make sure it's within my daily limit
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lismany wrote: »
    Wow thank you everyone for such helpful information! I think I am going to try and replace my fruit snacks (not the gummy kind) with veggies. I was never really a fan of veggies unless they are on a plate accompanied with other flavors and things.

Anyone eat veggie snacks regularly and recommend anything?

I could so celery with a smidge of peanut butter? Or is that counter-productive...

You really need to stop looking at individual foods in isolation - both celery and peanut butter are just foods and neither is good or bad. They just have completely different nutrition and calorie profiles.
    Think of your diet (noun, not verb) as a whole.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you really like fruit, eat the fruit. Just log it and make sure you don't go over your calorie goal. It doesn't hurt to also eat vegetables. Both are good for you. You don't have to give up one for the other, eat both. Maybe eat fruit at breakfast and lunch, veggies at dinner or snack. I like raw celery, carrot, cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers and cucumber; cooked broccoli, squash, and sweet potato. Try different things and have fun:)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I stick with two 4oz servings of berries a day, depending on my calorie allowance for the day, which fits into my macros (35% protein, 35% fat, 30% carbs). I lose weight much better with a controlled carb allowance and low glycemic food choices including veggies. I've lost 40 pounds so far and I track my sugar intake along with the carbs.

Celery and peanut butter sound good!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lismany wrote: »
    I can have a serving of strawberries and grapes, an apple, a banana sometimes even a tangerine or orange on top of it all in ONE day (broken up between meals/snacks) is this good, or bad?

right so that's about 250-300 or so calories right there ... if you can eat those within your calorie defecit it's fine, if not it's not
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with fruit, as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal. Fruit typically has more sugar. But all fruit is also vegetable and some of the things we normally call vegetables are also fruit, such as tomatoes, peppers, and squash.