peanut butter!

mariahruby
mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
edited 12:20AM in Food and Nutrition
what is the best brand of peanut to buy that is not high in sugars and is overall good for you??

Replies

• thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    any natural peanut butter will work. one where the only ingrediant it peanuts

remember that you will have to stir the oil around before you use it and sotre it in the fridge once it's opened
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    sunbutter is best, less sugar and more nutritious!!

peanut butter is the worst!! ttp://whole9life.com/2009/12/peanut-manifesto/
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Some stores, like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Fresh Market, have grinders that will let you grind fresh peanuts or another nut. The ones I've seen are unsalted, but sometimes TFM has honey roasted peanuts to grind.

*shrug*

You could just go to your local store and read the labels.
  • There is a product called PB2 which is yummy and much lower in fat and sugar than regular peanut butter. If you Google PB2 you should be able to find a retailer near you or order it online from the manufacturer.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    I use PB2. It's basically defated peanut flour. You mix it with water to create peanut butter.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    I like the Jif Omega-3 peanut butter. It tastes good and so good for you. Low in sugar too.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Crazy Richards is the kind I buy Ingredients: Peanuts. Nothing else just peanuts!!!!!!:happy:
  • bacanbit
    bacanbit Posts: 58 Member
    I recently purchased Crazy Richard's. We (the boys and myself) love peanut butter and were used to Jif. We all actually really like Crazy Richard's...we are on our second container of it now.
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    I disagree that peanut butter is the worst. One of my very good friends I meet at university is now a Ph. D in exercise science. All the exercise people keep a jar of peanut butter at there desks so that if they're in too big of a hurry and don't have time to "eat something" they eat a spoonful of peanut butter.

please note, a SPOONFULL, not 3 spoonfulls. As with all nuts, moderation is key. nuts and peanut butter are good sources of energy. As for the best kind, I don't know. I just read the labels, buy the lowfat kind or the most all natural.
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    wow, sorry for all the typos :/
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    I reccomend: Mara Natha - Natural No Stir Creamy and Sweet Peanut Butter. It is in MFP database so go have a look! Ingredients are per label: Dry Roasted Peanuts, Evaporated Cane Juice, Natural Palm Oil, Sea Salt. (Made in a plant that processes soy, sesame, and tree nuts.)

They also have other flavors like Almond, Sunflower Seed Butter, Natural Cashew Butter (Roasted), other nuts too. Comes in Creamy or Crunchy. All their products are:

All Natural - No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Preservatives
    Rich in Monounsaturated Fat (The Good Fat)
    High Protein, Cholesterol Free, Low Sodium, Gluten Free, Vegan
    Certified Organic Varieties
    Kosher OU

Good luck!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    I get mine at Trader Joe's. Peanut Butter is the only ingredient. Also there are two stores in town with a peanut butter machine. It just grinds them up and you buy it by the pound. And my Vita Mix will make it, too. I want to try Almond butter made from home.
  • mariahruby
    ugh i wish i had a trader joes here! the closest is an hour & a half away
  • TonyaJ83
    And just for fun: A peanut is not a nut, but a legume. Weird.
  • TonyaJ83
    ugh i wish i had a trader joes here! the closest is an hour & a half away

Ours is an hour away. We go every couple months and stock up! We have a large freezer in our pantry that holds tortillas, breads, etc. Trader Joe's has some amazing foods!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    I LOVE peanut butter! Would not live without it. I love Naturally More----only 169 cals a serving and 11 g fat. It also has more fiber than other pb's. Not sure about the sugar tho :-/
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    There is a product called PB2 which is yummy and much lower in fat and sugar than regular peanut butter. If you Google PB2 you should be able to find a retailer near you or order it online from the manufacturer.

I wouldn't worry about Low-fat peanutbutter. The fats in peanutbutter are healthy for you help reduce diabetes, good for brain & nerve function, and more.

Go for a natural brand with NO sugar shouldn't be too hard to find, smuckers, shoprite even has an all natural store brand,

-
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    the kind you make yourself!
    seriously, it takes 5 mins. Get some roasted unsalted nuts, throw it in food processor with some coconut oil, mash into nut butter. So easy!

when I'm feeling lazy, I go after Justin's & Maranatha. Both are outstanding, IMO
  • mariahruby
    the kind you make yourself!
    seriously, it takes 5 mins. Get some roasted unsalted nuts, throw it in food processor with some coconut oil, mash into nut butter. So easy!

when I'm feeling lazy, I go after Justin's & Maranatha. Both are outstanding, IMO

never thought about making your own! thats pretty cool :)
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    There is a product called PB2 which is yummy and much lower in fat and sugar than regular peanut butter. If you Google PB2 you should be able to find a retailer near you or order it online from the manufacturer.

I wouldn't worry about Low-fat peanutbutter. The fats in peanutbutter are healthy for you help reduce diabetes, good for brain & nerve function, and more.

Go for a natural brand with NO sugar shouldn't be too hard to find, smuckers, shoprite even has an all natural store brand,

I am with you on the no fat peanut butters, they suck anyway. I used to buy my PB at a local all natural grocery store but I refuse to pay $10 for a jar of peanut butter. I recently found a brand called Laura Scudder's that is all natural and a great price and you can get it almost anywhere.

-
This discussion has been closed.