Fitbit thoughts

Options
I'm torn with purchasing a FitBit or something similar. I like the factor that it will track the calories I've burned throughout the day and my sleeping patterns as well as a pedometer. Although I am not sure if it is something I want to have on my all the time 24/7, Those of you who use it or have used it...thoughts?? yea or nah?

Replies

• mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You don't actually need to wear it all day if you don't want it. It's just more accurate that way. I love my fitbit.

If you do intense activity and just want to track that you could get a polar device with a chest strap.
  • Chls122
    Chls122 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm all for a FitBit, but if you choose to go there do not get the FitBits that have the heart rate monitor, I gave the Surge a shot and it was incapable of reading my heart rate during a 45 minute spin class. I sought support for the HRM problems and apparently it's a known issue with that type of monitor, I'll stick with my polar chest strap. I'm in the process of sending the Surge back and I'm going to get the One instead.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One. I clip it on my bra and forget it. Downloaded the app on my phone so I can check my steps without peeking in my bra, LOL. I don't use the sleep feature, personally. But it really motivates me to get my 10,000 steps a day in.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I like mine......its good for tracking steps and giving you a burn calculation when working out. I do know people who have stopped using it tho, as they felt they were eating more, as the fitbit was 'giving' them more calories.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, Charge and Flex.

My favorite is the Flex since it is water resistant and you have tons of wristbands; but the charge has a clock and an actual screen (but not water resistant since it has an altimeter). If you don't like stuff on your wrists and work moving your hands (like a teacher or a chef), the Fitbit One is perfect for you. Plus, the One's battery is 15 days.

The fact that is on 24/7 is not a big deal, you'll miss it when you are not wearing it.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Flex, and I love it.
  • it_guy_nb
    it_guy_nb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Zip and only use it for non-sleeping hours since it doesn't do sleep tracking. So I guess that means I wear it 16/7 and I've been doing that for a year. After I left the house for work yesterday I realized I forgot it and actually looped back! I depend on the calorie feedback it provides. Love it so much, I am going to write an ebook about it!
  • elliesmd
    elliesmd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like using the fitbit to motivate me to move more but try not to "eat the calories" that I gain from the steps. I think they are overestimated and can lead to inadvertent weight gain.
  • carriemyah
    carriemyah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Jawbone Up. It's way more accuate than the Fitbit (Fitbit gave me 1,000 steps for blow drying my hair). Jawbone also doesn't give the calories that Fitbit.
  • FenTiger89
    FenTiger89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love my Zip. I've had it almost a year. I feel lost without it. I like not having something strapped to my wrist. The lack of tracking for sleeping and stair climbing don't really bother me.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One, clip it on my pants and don't even know it's there. I have used the sleep feature but got depressed seeing how horrible my sleep is so rarely use it for that. It really motivates me to get my 10,000 steps in.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit flex and wore it all the time, tracking steps, sleep patterns etc and that was great. But, due to technical difficulties gave it up and now I have a Surge - same deal of tracking etc. BUT what I am doing differently this time is I'm only wearing my Surge during my workouts - yeah getting in 10K steps daily is great; but to challenge myself I'm only tracking steps during my workout and I track my sleep pattern only sometimes. Once I knew my sleep pattern, there was no need to continue tracking unless I was do something different to effect the pattern. So you don't necessarily have to wear it all the time because you can log all the other details directly on the app (calories etc). Plus I look at all the steps that I take while not wearing my fitbit as bonuses; although my job is pretty sedentary. Less wearing will also save on the battery life. I say yea - wear it when want to ONLY.
  • leanelson1989
    leanelson1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Fitbit Flex Saturday and I love it so far. I like how I can just tap it to see how close I am to my goal. I also like the sleep tracker, it will be helpful to me for sure. I agree with helenarriaza, you'll miss it when you're not wearing it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for Fitbit. I had the flex for a year before upgrading to the Charge. The flex is nice and water resistant ( I wouldn't go swimming with it) and I found it very accurate with the TDEE and steps. I upgraded to the Charge mainly because of the watch feature.

I forget that I'm wearing it since i wear it 24/7 but when I take it off to charge I notice something is missing haha
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have the One, and have worn it all day, almost every day since I got it in August of 2013. I clip it on my bra (between the cups) and I don't notice it. The zip also can be clipped to the bra like this, and is a bit less expensive, but some people (with smaller boobs) say that it can be seen under some shirts.

I looked at the Flex, but didn't like the style...I wanted something I could wear under a cocktail dress as well as a t shirt...Also, there have been numerous people on the fitbit forums who have worn the Flex and the One simultaneously and get different results. The Flex is worn as a bracelet, and sometimes arm movement can give you more burn than you should have. And (I *think*) things like pushing a shopping cart don't always get counted as steps because you're not swinging your arms.

I love it...my movement is not consistent from day to day, and so calories burned aren't consistent from day to day. My fb gives me much better data on what I'm actually burning on a day to day basis. I know that if it says I've only burned 900 calories by 3pm, I need to get moving if I want a good dinner.

I do not use the sleep monitor. My fb goes on the nightstand at night, and I pick it up in the morning when I get up. No reason, except that I just lost patience. You have to put it to sleep, and wake it up, and I always forgot to do those things. The wrist strap irritated my wrist. And I know I sleep badly, I didn't need my pedometer to confirm this. ; )

But, all in all? This is the single best investment I've ever made for my fitness. It just takes the guesswork out. People could argue all day about how accurate these things are, but I know that in my case, If I follow my fitbit burn and eat at a deficit from that, I lose almost exactly what it says I should.

• goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit zip. It's not great for all exercise. I feel it is too generous with walking and not as generous with Zumba, elliptical, and so on... I just saw that Fitbit came out with one that has a heart monitor -about $150. I think it would probably be a little more accurate then the regular Fitbit. Thinking about upgrading to it :)
  • Y0NSTER
    Y0NSTER Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love the FitBit One. I've also had the Flex and Charge. Flex was decently accurate but the Charge over-counted my steps consistently by about 25%. The One is like the gold standard for accuracy for me....it is super accurate.

I was really disappointed about the Charge. I want a FitBit wrist tracker but it seems like they're too unreliable.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was given a Fitbit Flex as a gift and initially I didn't think I'd like wearing it 24/7. After a day or two I was past that. I love having the daily feedback and only take it off to charge it. The Flex can be worn in the shower.

I also have a Polar HRM and wear it in addition to the Flex when I'm exercising and use it to manually log my calorie burns during exercise. I think having both is ideal.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have the Zip and love it. Except for when I shower, it's always clipped on me, even at night when I'm asleep. Love the screens to swipe through for data, that it's small and I can clip it anywhere, that it syncs with MFP, and that this model doesn't require charging.

I've had it for about 6 months and I find it really motivating, my daily goal is 15,000 steps and I usually meet it. My weight loss has also sped up since I got it and started moving more. I was probably only moving 3000 steps or less before I got my Zip.

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I have the fitbit one, that clips to your clothes. I didn't want to have a band on my wrist all the time.