Dinner wars: My healthy eating plan versus my husbands low carb diet

Options
I cook dinner almost everynight. I usually make a healthy well rounded meal that includes high fiber carbs, lean protein, and lots of veggies. It is often a casserole or one pot type meal and I use lots of recipes from Cooking Light and Eating Well. My food philosophy has always been portion control with no off- limit food. My husband recently started (his own) low carb diet which is very restrictive and expensive. Plus, he wants high fat protein and no high fiber carbs. If he gave me a specific number of carbs per meal, it would be easier for me but he aims for zero carbs which I think is unrealistic. Any ideas or opinions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    get him to cook his own dinner?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    His goal is not unrealistic. It's not easy, and he may not be able to stick to it. But, it's certainly doable.

Honestly, unless he's looking for a wide variety of dishes (in which case he can cook them), it's the simplest diet in the world. Just sear a steak in some butter with a little seasoning. If you're making him chicken, cook some bacon to go with it to up the fats.

There's no reason he can't cook his own meal. The meals are insanely easy to make. I usually do my own cooking. The only frustration my wife has is that we may not eat together because my meal takes minutes to prepare and unless I wait until she's almost done making her dinner, I end up done before she starts.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options

I'm with Tavistock. I cook on our house my rule is simple, if you dont like what I make then make your own lol
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Zero carbs? So, meat, fat and no veg. Ffs.

Assign him his share of the food budget and let him shop and cook for himself. And, don't stress. Very few people manage to sustain that diet for long.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do a no carb diet - no way no how!! I think it's unrealistic, but hey....if it's something he wants to do and he can maintain it, more power to him.

My husband and I have different approaches to food as well. He started doing P90X and his "allotments" of different foods are different than mine. So for meals, we just do our own things most of the time. We do not eat the same foods at all.

There's things like Clif bars that he really likes, and chocolite protein bars that I really like...but none of the stuff we get is horribly expensive....just real, regular food.

It's all about finding out what works best for you (or what works best for him).

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you're willing, you could prepare the veggies, meat, and high fiber carbs separately, instead of as a casserole/one pot meal and that way you can grab a little of everything while your husband limits his carbs.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my dinner ends up looking nothing like the rest of the family's dinner. I have learned to keep my ingredients as separate as possible when cooking, and combine them differently for myself and them. (ex - I'll have 4x the meat they will, but no pasta/rice). Or I make a casserole, and want less sauce for myself and more veggies...I just make a one pot meal into a two-pot-meal. You're already prepping the ingredients, so if you want to work with his restrictions, then throw all the good stuff into your pot, and the lonely little chicken/bacon/cheese thing into his pot...

Ok, the chicken/bacon/cheese thing now has me hungry. :-/
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

This. If I were to go on a diet plan vastly different than the rest of my family, I sure as heck wouldn't make my husband do the cooking for me PLUS all of the cooking for everyone else.

ETA: Or, I suppose to be a jerk, I'd be one to just serve him pemmican every day (essentially dried meat/fat pressed into a bar). Fits his specifications ;)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Yep.

+2
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Yep.

+2

+3
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Special diet? Cook it yourself.

Can't cook? Nothing sadder than a man who can't or won't cook.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'd probably attempt it, just to support him.

My hubby gave up meat for a month for me when I wanted to try going vegetarian.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

Agreed 100%. I need to limit my carbs for medical reasons, while the rest of the family does not want to change their meal plan to accommodate my dietary needs (some of my family members are really picky). It doesn't take that long for me to grill some chicken, microwave some vegetables, or heat up a frozen dinner on nights when they're having something I know I cannot have.
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Im restricting carbs. My wife cooks for herself and the kids, I make myself something later when I get home from work. Simples.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There is nothing unhealthy about low carb either.
    Have him cook himself. I eat low carb and have a family. I take out my portion and go on with cooking, or I cook a meat portion, veggie, and then add a carb portion if its needed.

If he wants to try, let him try it. He might really enjoy that way of eating. He might not.

Also, he might need to give himself a little bit of a break. Zero carbs would mean no cheese, no veggies. Even keto dieters eat carbs.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

Yep.

Double Yep!
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat fairly low carb and do all of the cooking (a moan for another thread) - my husband eats a more traditional level of carbs. I usually do some kind of stir fry for us both e.g. chicken thigh meat with a couple of veg cooked in coconut oil. I'll do extra veg for myself (maybe cougette/zuccini noodles cooked in the microwave or french beans) and then boil some rice for him. Sometimes I make a curry and I'll serve mine with a load of veg and his again with rice. Bolognaise sauce - his with pasta and mine with zoodles or a veg. Although I do often use fattier cuts of meat, if I use the leaner ones I'll just add some extra butter to my veg or something similar to compensate.

From what you say in your original post, you are cooking a lean meat and veg anyway - just give him extra veg and stick some butter or olive oil and seasoning on it! Sorted :smiley:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Low carb is one thing... But zero carbs is completely unrealistic.