Dinner wars: My healthy eating plan versus my husbands low carb diet

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    Low carb is one thing... But zero carbs is completely unrealistic.
    I could probably make it happen for a meal or two.

But get gummed up like the turnpike at rush hour.

12 oz. of Steak
    Served with clarified butter, and 4 oz of chicken breast.
    Follow that up with a rusty bone, which is a shot of olive oil, a shot of cod liver oil, and all blended up with roasted bone marrow.

See, no carbs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a no carb diet unless one is eating only meat and fats. Eggs have carbs, cheese has carbs, veggies have carbs.

I have done the low carb thing from time to time. It works well for me for a variety of reasons. My husband and son don't eat like that, of course, so what I always did was make a balanced dinner, that was moderately lower carb, and then I just didn't eat the stuff with carbs. In other words, I'd make a lean protein, a steamed veggie, a green salad and sometimes a side dish of rice, pasta or potatoes. I'd eat everything but the high carb side dish.

If that doesn't work for you, and your husband doesn't like what you are making for dinner, tell him he can make his own. He's a big boy making his own choices.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My husband is the cook in the family and gets very frustrated and refuses to cook multiple meals claiming the whole family meal thing...which I don't totally disagree with. so to keep the peace, I will eat generally whatever he cooks and deal by using portion control. If he is cooking a starch i don't want, I will make a sweet potato for myself but the veggies and protein I usually can make work. Eating out is another animal all together. Family pizza night usually means I need to get creative with some grilled chicken something from the pizza parlor.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get him to cook his own dinner?
    yes
    I'm with Tavistock. I cook on our house my rule is simple, if you dont like what I make then make your own lol
    yes
    dbmata wrote: »
    Special diet? Cook it yourself.
    Can't cook? Nothing sadder than a man who can't or won't cook.
    truth.
    I second all of these things.

• lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I told him if my meals do not meet his requirements, he can get his own dinner and I will just cook for me and the kids. He also does not try portion control and is stuck on eating only a few foods (celery, peanut butter, canned chicken ). I don't think he even knows how many carbs he is eating. I don't think 40 carbs for an entire meal is high which is about as high as I go with my dinner. He seems to think I should be more accomodating!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lwright311 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments. I told him if my meals do not meet his requirements, he can get his own dinner and I will just cook for me and the kids. He also does not try portion control and is stuck on eating only a few foods (celery, peanut butter, canned chicken ). I don't think he even knows how many carbs he is eating. I don't think 40 carbs for an entire meal is high which is about as high as I go with my dinner. He seems to think I should be more accomodating!

If he's not counting his carbs, you're right, he probably has no idea. Personally, I think 40 grams of carbs for an entire meal is high; it's certainly not "low" carb. Most low carb diets are about 20-40 grams of carbs per day with most of the carbs coming from vegetables.

Peanut butter actually has quite a few carbs and it's high in calories. He should take a look at the label. You still have to worry about calories when eating that way, regardless what a lot of people think.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Tell him you think his' thingie should vibrate too- but we can't just have everything we want in life and we either make do with what we have- or we go buy what we want.
    -
    should handle it.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    What kind of peanut butter? Peanut butter is much higher in carbs than he probably thinks and unless if he is weighing it, he is probably eating more than he thinks. Really, the only think I would think is taking out a portion of the cooked meat if you're make a casserole. Then he can make himself some steamed veggies or a salad.

I like eating low carb, it works for me and is how I choose to lose weight. Low carb can honestly be enjoyable for some people. But what he is doing sounds miserable. I don't even know if I would call it low carb. If he had any interest in MFP there are some good low carb groups that have a lot of information and ideas.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Get him some
    e5a7_canned_unicorn_meat.jpg

and then tell him to make his own meals if he wants to be unrealistic. :D
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    He's a big boy - he can make his own dinner. I'm a pescetarian and my husband is always on Atkins - we've made our own dinners for 20+ years. Our daughter benefits - she gets to choose between two dinners each night.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    lwright311 wrote: »

If he's not counting his carbs, you're right, he probably has no idea. Personally, I think 40 grams of carbs for an entire meal is high; it's certainly not "low" carb. Most low carb diets are about 20-40 grams of carbs per day with most of the carbs coming from vegetables.

That low is actually keto, and a lot of people would consider less than 100g low carb. In addition, keto people follow net carbs, and considering it seems like a lot of her dishes contain vegetables, my guess is net carbs would be lower than that.

I agree with everyone that you are being very accommodating already. He does not have to do low carb to lose, but he clearly needs to change his eating habits if he does want to change. If he wants low carb enough, he'll cook himself. If he doesn't care, he'll eat what you make (which is in no way less healthy than low carb). His larger problem is likely that he is consuming too many calories. He will need to get that under control no matter what diet he chooses.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic goal. In fact, I suggest you show him this thread.

Also, he is a grown man. If he wants to eat a super restrictive diet, he can cook for himself.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm probably on the same (keto) diet as your husband. I've lost 45 pounds in three months, so I can't knock it. Cut him some slack. He's trying to better himself, and what he's asking for is not unrealistic at all. Give the guy a piece of meat, if that's what he wants, or let him cook it himself, as suggested above.

Most days, my meals consist of 2-3 oz. meat (negating the expensive part. A pound of meat makes 5+ meals) and a cup of vegetables with lots of butter or olive oil. Can't get much simpler than that.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    get him to cook his own dinner?

This.. It's what I do. Makes things easy, and I get to eat what I want.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

^^This. Saying he is "aiming for zero carbs", if that is indeed what he said or thought he meant instead of just an oversight of saying/typing "low carb" implies to me that your husband hasn't done a lot of research about healthy eating and is latching onto an arbitrary and virtually impossible to achieve food restriction. Is he going to use MFP? Maybe show him some of the posts or research about IIFYM and/or other methodologies that you are trying to follow in your plan maybe you guys could come up with an approach that works for both of you.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm rolling my eyes at fussy husbands everywhere. I've got one too and he's a master at getting his way...while I still end up doing the cooking. I swear he'd only be happy if I had a full-picture menu for him to choose from. AND he hasn't figured out that he should make up his mind in the MORNING so I can PREPARE. Heaven help him then if he is slow to the dinner table. Cold, you say? Fancy that. Next time hop to it when I call you to dinner.

From his point of view, waiters must seem a lot more cheerful.

I agree with the "cook it yourself" business.

Or you could suggest he buy and prepare the meat part of the meal and you prepare the sides. Tell him it will be an adventure.
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 I agree. I think that's what bothers me so much. He is stuck on eating certain foods without considering portion size and total carbs. For example, he uses unlimited salad dressing which has carbs (some as much as 10 g per serving). He could eat my whole 40g carb dinner instead of the big spoons of peanut butter and even less calories.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

^^This. Saying he is "aiming for zero carbs", if that is indeed what he said or thought he meant instead of just an oversight of saying/typing "low carb" implies to me that your husband hasn't done a lot of research about healthy eating and is latching onto an arbitrary and virtually impossible to achieve food restriction. Is he going to use MFP? Maybe show him some of the posts or research about IIFYM and/or other methodologies that you are trying to follow in your plan maybe you guys could come up with an approach that works for both of you.

Yeah, very low carb diets tend to have precious few long-term followers, and those that do stick to it are usually a bit more informed about what they're eating. Make him cook for himself and continue making your balanced meals. I suspect the novelty will wear off, and, if you're lucky, it will be before he gets stinky Atkins breath or scurvy.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Tell him you think his' thingie should vibrate too- but we can't just have everything we want in life and we either make do with what we have- or we go buy what we want.
    -
    should handle it.

LOL best ever....