Do you update your ticker when you gain weight?

Options
chrisja
chrisja Posts: 380 Member
I know I am not fooling myself so I dont think its really a problem that I dont like subtracting from my ticker if I do gain weight at a weigh in. I just leave it as is until I lose again. But what do you guys do? Do you update your ticker to reflect the gain?

I keep my numbers written down in a book also so I do keep track of when I gain.

Replies

• crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    heck no. it'd be depressing.
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I didn't used to, but I enter my weight once a week, regardless of whether it was a gain or loss.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I can be up one week and down that and more the next - so I'll be updating if it stays more than a week...
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i dont update weight gain. if i have gained then it makes me want to work harder for the lower number so its accurate. :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    This is what I TRY to do. It doesn't always work out.

Every morning I weigh myself.
    Every Sunday I update this site. If I lose weight, HOORAY! If I gain weight, I still update. Yes, it sets my ticker back. But it is no lie, I gained weight, so the goal is that much farther again.

I just push harder that week to see a loss, and sometimes it works out.
  • frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Options
    I didn't but now I do, not so much for my ticker but so when I look back at the reports so i can see the fluctuations in my weight over short and long periods of time and compare it to what I've been eating. I'm a bit of a geek though.
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's tough but I do update my ticker with weight gains. Helps keep things in perspective.
  • aml17
    aml17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i dont update weight gain. if i have gained then it makes me want to work harder for the lower number so its accurate. :)

I do this as well.
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    Yeah. It's depressing, it means you will show a loss even if you just get back to the weight you were before you put it on, so its swings and roundabouts really!
  • goddessofmath
    goddessofmath Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been, but I just about have stopped now bc when people congratulate me for losing 2 pounds (or whatever I lose) when it's the same 2 pounds I've been losing and gaining for 2-3 weeks, it makes me feel bad. Like they're congratulating me for something I've already done and am "fixing" yet again.
  • chrisja
    Options
    heck no. it'd be depressing.

Thats how I feel about it too at the moment, but I figure once I am more successful at losing then I maybe wont mind including the gains...just cant bring myself to appreciate doing it right now.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I say update it good or bad once a week! It means that you are being honest with yourself, and there is lots of support here. People want to see you successful as much as you want to be successful, or they want to see that when we do gain, we all go though these things. Just my thoughts.
  • Dkittery
    Dkittery Posts: 82
    Options
    This is what I TRY to do. It doesn't always work out.

Every morning I weigh myself.
    Every Sunday I update this site. If I lose weight, HOORAY! If I gain weight, I still update. Yes, it sets my ticker back. But it is no lie, I gained weight, so the goal is that much farther again.

I just push harder that week to see a loss, and sometimes it works out.

You only stay true to yourself if update.

5551649.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Only if I've gone over be enough calories to have gained. Otherwise there are so many things that can affect the "number on the scale" it would make me nutso. After 3 years of keeping track I know what can cause a sudden spike here and there (too much sodium, hormonal shifts, stuff in my gut, etc) - and I know that those types of "gains" tend to go away pretty quickly too. I don't fuss over it unless I know I've gone waaaay over on calories.
  • liftnat
    liftnat Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes, I update with gain. I'm starting to get a nice graph. It has a bunch of jagged edges on it, but the overall baseline is going down. It's a GREAT reminder of how change really works. It takes time, it's not perfect and there are many moments it gets worse before it gets better.
  • chrisja
    Options
    I didn't but now I do, not so much for my ticker but so when I look back at the reports so i can see the fluctuations in my weight over short and long periods of time and compare it to what I've been eating. I'm a bit of a geek though.

Never thought about it like that in relation to the report. Good point. Guess I will have to start recording everything online just to see what those reports reveal. Thanks
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Oh Heeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Nooooooooooo!!!!!!
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    No way Jose! It just sits there until I get to another loss. Better to have it sit at the same weight than to see it go up. I've been stuck. I think it was from alcohol. I cut it out a few days ago!
  • chrisja
    Options
    LOL...I just decided to add my gain just so I can have accurate reports and now my pretty 5lb loss has gone down to a 4lb loss because of the 0.8lbs I gained last Saturday. Pity the tickers had to round things up but I guess it will return the favour one of these days. Now I will be hopeful that when I weigh in again on Saturday I will at least have a better number on there than the 4 thats there now which should be 4.2.

Interestingly when I went back to update my weight for last week's date I saw the weight I was when I signed up for MFP in 2009....unbelievable but true I was the exact same weight of 216.6 that I was when I signed up in April 2011. Cant believe I wasted 2 years all because I forgot about this site. Thankfully I hadnt gained though.
  • chrisja
    Options
    Oh Heeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Nooooooooooo!!!!!!

lol