Hi, my name is Melissa and it's been 1 hour since my last DQ biscuit and gravy.

Options
And I will NOT beat myself up over it! :) I got off work at 7 am and my day shift officers asked me to go have breakfast with them. This isn't something I get to do often but enjoy it when I do. I was chatting it up with them in line and aimlessly ordered my normal DQ breakfast. Half order of biscuit and gravy. YUM! It wasn't until I was 3 bites in did I realize that was not the healthiest choice. Before, when I was on MFP or simply trying to lose weight, if I had a snafu like this I would internally scold myself, tell my self I was a lost cause and just completely fall off the wagon. For another year or two. It was always an all or nothing thing with me. Not this time. This time, I need to find that happy medium of losing weight and life. For me, it's going to have to be an 80/20 kind of life style. Make good choices 80% of the time because that other 20 is spontaneous and unpredictable. The simple fact that I did not tell myself what a waste of time it is to attempt to have a healthy relationship with my food just helps me believe that I am finally there. I am finally in the right frame of mind to do it right this time.

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And by the way… biscuits and gravy are my FAVORITE breakfast food… no matter where they come from!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not beating yourself up about it (it never helps!). There is absolutely nothing wrong with deciding to have something 'unhealthy' or high calorie or whatever. I save up calories so that I can eat high fat, high calorie things when I want them. The only thing concerning about your post is:
    I was chatting it up with them in line and aimlessly ordered my normal DQ breakfast. Half order of biscuit and gravy. YUM! It wasn't until I was 3 bites in did I realize that was not the healthiest choice.

It doesn't matter that you ate it- most things can easily be worked into your calories for the day and one meal won't really make a difference. The issue is that you didn't even realize you were falling into your old habits. It's something that you might want to keep an eye on for the future.

• donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race..... We all splurge from time to time and, Dammit, we deserve it. I haven't had biscuits and gravy since I was in the army, no place around me makes a good one :-(
  • madamepsych0sis
    madamepsych0sis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Smart perspective! Thanks for sharing.
  • kimeastin
    Options
    NICE! You have a fantastic outlook on it. Keep it up. :smiley:
  • clemmberry
    clemmberry Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Listen, that 20% is the best thing for you or else youre going to drive yourself insane about eating something "bad". We all need that spluge once in a while whether it be a nice big breakfast on a Sunday morning, or you go out to a restaurant with your friends and want to have a few margaritas :) Keep doing what youre doing and you'll make it!!!!
  • Milynne
    Milynne Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That is the mindset I'm trying to instill within myself - it's OK to splurge on the extra calories on occasion!

And biscuits and gravy is an awesome way to splurge!! :)
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i love sausage gravy and biscuits. I actually have it planned for tomorrows dinner. I couldn't live in a world without it. I have learned to not eat them so often and it makes me appreciate them more when i have em.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not beating yourself up about it (it never helps!). There is absolutely nothing wrong with deciding to have something 'unhealthy' or high calorie or whatever. I save up calories so that I can eat high fat, high calorie things when I want them. The only thing concerning about your post is:
    I was chatting it up with them in line and aimlessly ordered my normal DQ breakfast. Half order of biscuit and gravy. YUM! It wasn't until I was 3 bites in did I realize that was not the healthiest choice.

It doesn't matter that you ate it- most things can easily be worked into your calories for the day and one meal won't really make a difference. The issue is that you didn't even realize you were falling into your old habits. It's something that you might want to keep an eye on for the future.

Yesssss. The other day I went to a place called Tudor's Biscuit World and got a buttermilk biscuit sandwich that had bacon, egg, cheese and a hashbrown. The sandwich itself was just under 800 calories. it was fantastic.

But, i made adjustments through the day and still hit my goal.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    now i want homemade biscuits and gravy!!!

but seriously - you're doing very well - what a great mindset you have right now and THAT is so key

best of luck!!! B)
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Yesssss. The other day I went to a place called Tudor's Biscuit World and got a buttermilk biscuit sandwich that had bacon, egg, cheese and a hashbrown. The sandwich itself was just under 800 calories. it was fantastic.

But, i made adjustments through the day and still hit my goal.

Tudor's is the BEST!!!! Thankfully, the closest one to me is a couple towns away or I wouldn't have the restraint I currently have...lol
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for the next thread

Hi, my name is Melissa and it's been 1 week that I've been on this plateau.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    donnysoule wrote: »
    Slow and steady wins the race..... We all splurge from time to time and, Dammit, we deserve it. I haven't had biscuits and gravy since I was in the army, no place around me makes a good one :-(

Army brat here! Dad used to let me eat in the mess hall sometimes when I would sneak to his office. I'm pretty sure that is where my love of bacon grease came from..lol
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for the next thread

Hi, my name is Melissa and it's been 1 week that I've been on this plateau.

LOL @ this...but only if she didn't log it or doesn't have an open diary :wink:

No judgement...one morning not so long ago after a brutal night I managed 3 margaritas with my banana whipped cream french toast and slept like a baby. I can't even imagine the calories, and in no way did this possible contribute to my 183 pound wake up call this month :wink:
    Sometimes life in the ER is rough, sometimes I like to drink a bit (although I will admit at 0730 people were staring at us but clearly it didn't bother me), and sometimes I make poor food choices. But, it was tasty and I am 100% certain I will do it again. I just can't do it every week or after every shift anymore. Clearly I am no longer 23 :blush: And while I am admitting to overindulgent breakfast foods, 2 words: steak and eggs.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Can I retract my confession? I see you logged it and it was 410 calories. I'm going to drown myself with whipped cream now :smiley: