IN NEED: Gluten Free Advice

Options
KaylaB401
KaylaB401 Posts: 11
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello everybody!

My name is Michaela. I've been on and off here for years now.

Recently, after a friend recommended a diet change, I've gone gluten free to experiment whether or not it will subside my osteoarthritis. So far, it actually has! I am getting a food intolerance test this week and am eager to see what the results are. I am also in need of some weight loss and overall strength increase.

If anyone has any good suggestions on meals or snacks (especially), please let me know! I am really trying to not eat the processed sugary/salty GF snacks and focus on WHOLE foods.

Feel free to friend me! Keep up the hard work! B)

M

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Meat, dairy, veggies, fruits, Chex cereal (was gluten free because it was cool)
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There are some paleo and primal groups here are on the boards. I am allergic to wheat and have to really watch my dairy so I watch their board for ideas. I do not have to be as strict since I only really care about wheat, but I do try to eat all whole foods because it does help with my joints. You can also google paleo or primal recipes and there are lots of ideas out there.
  • KaylaB401
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    - CHEX?! Amazing. Thanks!

There are some paleo and primal groups here are on the boards. I am allergic to wheat and have to really watch my dairy so I watch their board for ideas. I do not have to be as strict since I only really care about wheat, but I do try to eat all whole foods because it does help with my joints. You can also google paleo or primal recipes and there are lots of ideas out there.
    - Very helpful, thank you!

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    With arthritis, I'd be careful of the dairy. Just like gluten, dairy will get your inflammatory response going, and I'm sure that you wouldn't want that. Look into the anti-inflammatory diets, or go Paleo (which would fit into GF as well).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fruit and raw vegetables are good snacks. Dip them in hummus or peanut butter to make them more filling.

Boiled eggs or deviled eggs (if you want to avoid mayo, make the deviled eggs with hummus or avocado)

Nuts, edamame, seeds, roasted chickpeas, dry roasted beans

Kasha, rice or quinoa salad.

Cheese.
  • KaylaB401
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    With arthritis, I'd be careful of the dairy. Just like gluten, dairy will get your inflammatory response going, and I'm sure that you wouldn't want that. Look into the anti-inflammatory diets, or go Paleo (which would fit into GF as well).
    - Thanks! Yes, I have read a lot about dairy. Fingers crossed I will be ok to eat it because I am obsessed with cheese. Thanks!

Fruit and raw vegetables are good snacks. Dip them in hummus or peanut butter to make them more filling.

Boiled eggs or deviled eggs (if you want to avoid mayo, make the deviled eggs with hummus or avocado)

Cheese.
    - SO helpful, thank you! I love deviled eggs. I really enjoy "Just Mayo", it's veggie based. Have you tried it? I actually prefer it over reg mayo now.

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    KaylaB401 wrote: »
    wkwebby wrote: »
    - Thanks! Yes, I have read a lot about dairy. Fingers crossed I will be ok to eat it because I am obsessed with cheese. Thanks!

Cheese.
    - SO helpful, thank you! I love deviled eggs. I really enjoy "Just Mayo", it's veggie based. Have you tried it? I actually prefer it over reg mayo now.

Read the labels on the hummus or anything else in a package.
    A blogger I follow notes on her simple soup recipes to check the label on broth since gluten could be in it. Same with shredded cheeses

If you'd rather make your own hummus, here's a recipe:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/
    I haven't made this recipe but I've had very good luck with her recipes.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I believe it's the rice and corn chex that are gluten free. But it's a huge thing on the front of the box
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i am highly allergic to corn and soy and my daughter has a severe wheat/gluten sensitivity. we eat whole foods: olives, veggies, fruits, meats (love beef jerky, but watch ingredients list) - also keep in mind that there is hidden gluten, soy & dairy in ALOT of foods. (many names for corn = HFCS, dextrose, matodextrin) we love Lara bars and Quest bars. bananas, apples, oranges, grapefruits are our fav fruits. we eat alot of berries, nuts and seeds. for the park days we meet our homeschool group, we take raisins, seeds, nuts, i take cheese sticks although daughter can't eat them, plus boiled eggs, ham rolls (essentially ham rolled up LOL; i put cream cheese in mine sometimes) we love peas of all kinds, beans and sausage (WATCH ingredients!) almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower nut butter, we have some lovely GF crackers and i found soy cheese for my daughter. she has been GF since she was 2 years old and thanks to everyone wanting to jump on the bandwagon, there are TON more products on the market. the first time i went shopping for her, i cried in the store! (we love to eat at Chipotle, although check ingredients with your particular location just to make sure) we love to eat rice and also home-made soups (store-bought soups are completely out due to ingredients)
    - HTH :smile:
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I believe it's the rice and corn chex that are gluten free. But it's a huge thing on the front of the box

The only Chex that are NOT gluten free are the wheat chex & multigrain chex. I'm pretty sure the rest are--I buy them for my celiac daughter. She sometimes snacks on that instead of chips/pretzels (GF, of course).
    Fruits, veggies, cheese sticks, yogurt (as long as you can have dairy!), nuts (calorie dense, so measure carefully), peanut butter on apple (again, calorie dense).

• bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Chex also does gluten free oatmeal just high in sugar.

Gluten free tortillas are awesome. You can do gluten free tortilla pizzas, tacos, burritos, etc....
  • deyja1
    deyja1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. It is grain free, sugar free and helps to reverse autoimmunity and all inflammatory diseases as well as cure Diabetes Type II. Stay away from gluten free products as the flours they are made of will make you gain weight. Gluten free products are a scam in the food industry just like low fat was.
  • GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    deyja1 wrote: »
    Stay away from gluten free products as the flours they are made of will make you gain weight. Gluten free products are a scam in the food industry just like low fat was.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...

It will not cause you to gain weight. I'm coeliac, eat GF replacement items and am happily losing weight.

GF products are not a scam, they're an ESSENTIAL for coeliac sufferers like myself. They have been over hyped as super healthy recently which, for me, is great as higher demand means better choice!!
  • logansjuicymom
    logansjuicymom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody!

My name is Michaela. I've been on and off here for years now.

Recently, after a friend recommended a diet change, I've gone gluten free to experiment whether or not it will subside my osteoarthritis. So far, it actually has! I am getting a food intolerance test this week and am eager to see what the results are. I am also in need of some weight loss and overall strength increase.

If anyone has any good suggestions on meals or snacks (especially), please let me know! I am really trying to not eat the processed sugary/salty GF snacks and focus on WHOLE foods.

Feel free to friend me! Keep up the hard work! B)

M

I feel like I could have written this! I am going to friend you so we can chat. I went for a food intolerance test on January 7 and am awaiting the results. I have issues with mobility and inflammation and my naturopath put me on a diet that is gluten, corn, soy, sugar and dairy free. I have seen amazing results so far! I also have about 60 lbs to lose! And I am eating whole foods and exercise to get there! I will gladly swap food/snack recipes and ideas with you!
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You're asking for snacks specifically, so here goes! I try not to snack, so I can have bigger regular meals...

But if I'm really hungry and can't wait, I'll go for lactose free greek yogurt with lactose-free protein powder (you guessed it, I'm both gluten and lactose intolerant). That's a 200 calorie snack that is really filling and high in protein. My favorite.

Banana with peanut butter is another go-to. Late night snack would be popcorn, lightly salted (I don't use the bags, but unpopped kernels).

Other ideas: Veggies and hummus. gluten/dairy free protein bars are close by for when I couldn't plan properly in advance. Chocolate pudding made from avocado.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Check out Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. It is grain free, sugar free and helps to reverse autoimmunity and all inflammatory diseases as well as cure Diabetes Type II. Stay away from gluten free products as the flours they are made of will make you gain weight. Gluten free products are a scam in the food industry just like low fat was.

Stop talking.

The reason GF products would cause someone to gain weight would be because they ate them in excess. Some of the GF stuff is higher calorie due to the different flours in there (like almond meal) but if you account for it in your daily goal, it won't make you gain weight.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Start making bone broth
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bone-broth-nutrients-and-alternatives-to-agriculture/#axzz3OpEjQof3

Lots of great things in there to help with oseteoarthritis and really handy as a snack. I usually make up a huge batch and then just freeze it in single portions (at least the quantity I can rescue from my 7 year old who would drink the lot given a chance). I reheat from frozen (either on the hob or in the microwave) and drink it in a cup. It keeps me going as a mid afternoon snack.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

this is partially true. my dr told me to keep my daughter gluten-free without eating gluten-free. meaning: try to avoid GF products which are sold specifically as a gimmick of being GF. a lot of GF products contain corn (I'm allergic) and soy (again, allergic) so I have to be cautious. a GF product isn't necessarily the end-all and be-all when trying to eat GF. HOWEVER, when my daughter wants a cookie, GF products (flours, etc.) are wonderful. we try to limit those as much as possible because, again, they have ingredients which CAN cause weight gain if eaten in excess. keep calorie count in mind, consume in moderation, and you'll be fine. (also, corn and soy as fillers are EVERYWHERE!)

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Hi, here is a good thread for you to look at that has a lot of useful tips, foods, and apps for your phone that will help you in your quest for a gluten free diet. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10046169/gluten-free-looking-for-friends-and-food-ideas#latest
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to send me a friend request. I'm gluten free and tend to eat more whole foods too. I decided to give up gluten to migraines. It seems to have make a huge difference for me. :)