LIFTING ADVICE PLEASE?

Options
Hey guys,

Im 128lb and 5'2. I want to loose weight and tone up.
I intend to start lifting as soon as I find a gym buddy to teach me.

I was wondering how many times a week to gym?
And what to focus on each session?
Do I do legs one day, upper body another day?
Or mix it up?
What sort of weights should I be doing? and how heavy?
I literally know nothing!
Should I do the same routine every week?

Thanks
x

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in doing barbell work? If so, check out Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength -- both well-regarded beginner weightlifting programs. Both tend to be three days a week.
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Im looking to work on all parts of my body really. Im not bothered about gettin strong or muscles. I want to get skinny and toned!
    x
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You don't want to get strong? You want to be weak? Am I understanding that correctly?
  • hill8570
    Options
    Weight loss comes from cutting your calories. Both the mentioned programs will give a good overall workout -- you'll be toned for sure. Neither are high-rep workouts, so you're unlikely to bulk (women have a hell of a time bulking even when they want to).
  • anorciia
    anorciia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Following either of the above programs will help you achieve the "toned" look. They will help you change your lean mass to body fat ratio. You may not move the scale, but muscle weighs more than fat, so your shape will change

It is very unlikely that you will get bulky muscles. Guys work very hard to put on lean mass without questionable supplements.
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting and I am following Jaime Eason 12 week program and u can get it and track it on www.bodybuilding.com they have several different plans you can choose from and it's all free!!! You should check it out! Tells u exactly what to do on what days! Good luck :-) feel free to add me I would love more friends into lifting!
  • stevethomas718
    Options
    Jamie Eason is good. I do recommend bodybuilding.com. They have all kinds of plans and training advice. They have a section where you can select your plan. From beginner to advanced, jus select your goals from the options. I did my first bodybuilding show from nothing but info I gathered on there. If your new to a gym I advise getting a trainer for a few weeks to show you the ropes and help you become comfortable in the gym. Yes, men will stare at you doing straight leg deadlifts. Don't be offended, just know that we are driven by testosterone and most of us have too much of it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    OP, I am going to suggest the New Rules of Lifting for Women for you. Please read the dietary info in there, too. I seem to recall that you were eating a very low calorie diet previously. The information you got on your other thread about fueling your workouts is going to be even more important when you are lifting.

And, don't be afraid of being strong. You are a nursing student, if I remember right. Nurses end up lifting and moving all kinds of heavy stuff. You will feel so much better at work when you are strong!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i work out 6 days a week and do strength most days. I do upper body one day and lower the next. i listen to my body and if one area is sore, i dont work it again until it is not sore. the days i dont lift are the days everything is sore. on days like that i might just do the recumbent bike for 45 mins, or do yoga
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i also read the New Rules of LIfting for Women but disregard most of the nutrition parts. the book advocates egg whites and protein powders, both of which i dont agree with
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein powders, and I use egg whites in omelettes only. But, I "met" op on another thread, and she was really not eating to fuel a resistance workout. The recipes themselves might be of limited use, but if my memory serves, she'd probably benefit from the straight talk on protein, etc.

I also think she's in the UK, but I could be wrong. I promise I'm not a stalker, OP, your profile picture just stuck in my mind for some reason!
  • hill8570
    edited January 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I don't use protein powders, and I use egg whites in omelettes only. But, I "met" op on another thread, and she was really not eating to fuel a resistance workout. The recipes themselves might be of limited use, but if my memory serves, she'd probably benefit from the straight talk on protein, etc.

I also think she's in the UK, but I could be wrong. I promise I'm not a stalker, OP, your profile picture just stuck in my mind for some reason!

Hope to God OP didn't set up her macro goals based on that thread. 172 g of protein a day with a 1700 cal target? Freakin' insane. At her weight, 105 g of protein is more than enough, even if she were lifting heavy.
  • Chlo92x
    Options
    Thanks i will check out bodybuilding.con at the 12 week programme :)

My diary is open is anyone wants to comment, i am open for advice to be hinest i dont really know what I am doing when it comes to dieting, eapecially lifting,

Unfortunately where i life there are no PTs to show me the ropes, im trying to get a gym buddy who lifts! Which isnt going well.... yes i am from the UK and i live in Wales in the country side :neutral_face: x
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    NerdFitness is a good resource for beginner questions. Really, to start out you just need to learn the basic lifts and some good form - a session or two with a personal trainer should sort that. You say there are no PTs -but there are gyms, right? There'll be trainers at the gym. Ask about it there.

Stronglifts will start you out doing the main lifts - deadlift, row, squat, overhead press and bench press. You start light and do 5 sets of 5 reps (take 1 min rest in between) and if it was easy to do with good form, you raise the weight a little more next time. Repeat, repeat, repeat. This is more for those who want to get strong though. Don't know it til you've tried it - being strong feels AMAZING. You feel light as air!

If you're looking just to 'tone' though - that's not really a word, to be honest, so let's just go down a hypertrophy route here - you might prefer a lighter weight but done more times, like 8-12 reps across 3, 4 or 5 sets. Losing weight will reveal the muscle. Eating more calories than you need and gaining weight will aid in building the muscle if you decide you want them larger. Later, though. Google 'beginner gains' - you'll improve your look quite rapidly in the beginning. I haven't bulked yet but in 9 months my body looks very different.

Beginners won't need to worry too much about upper and lower body days - you're weak all over, so full-body, compound movements will tackle everything. Later on, you may decide on new goals and may identify some weaknesses you want to focus on, and when you start adding in new lifts and accessory lifts, that's when time constraints will mean you plan and upper and a lower day (so the other half is resting.)

If you're heading to a gym you could also look into a Body Pump class, which is high-rep, low-weight work with barbells, which again will teach you the lifts.

And then you could always do what I do. Buy a barbell and just lift at home :) I do the Stronglift five, but I have to keep the weight down for safety reasons (and to keep my floor intact!) and I'm going to start exploring other lifts soon. I also use dumbbells and a kettlebell, and bodyweight stuff like pushups and pullups are very effective. So, if you've no access to a gym just yet it's no hinderance. You can do loads without a gym.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Gym buddy? Hire a trainer, good investment.
  • Chlo92x
    edited January 2015
    Options
    what do u guys think of this:
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/home-barbell-workout

Also with the Jamie eason 12 week programme,
    could you narrow it down to three days at the gym instead of four? and if so how would you break up the routine?

Thanks
  • laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with hiring a trainer. For me correct form was very unnatural in the beginning and having someone there to correct me was huge. Do your research and find someone that has educated themselves, is certified and has been successfully training for a while.

I also read and recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very informative.

I bought another book a few months ago that I've been getting my workouts lately from called The Body You Want in the Time You Have. It's a Men's Health book, and I'm a women, but it doesn't matter. The workouts are good and I started seeing results very soon on this plan. Basically you pick how many days a week and how many minutes you're willing to workout and it gives you the workouts for each day. They have plans for ppl wanting to do 1 day a week for 10 minutes to 6 days a week for 60 minutes. Workouts are written out and shown in pictures. I take a pic on my phone of the workout I'm doing that day so I have a plan when I walk in the door. There is an index showing proper form, modifications, no equip etc...for each exercise. I generally stick to one plan but if short on time I'll pick one of the shorter workouts.

Good luck!!!
  • hill8570
    Options
    Chlo92x wrote: »

I think it's way overkill for a beginner -- that's a lot of stuff to master.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

Yeah, it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's not great. It seems like a lot of wasted movements for a beginner, too.

As was mentioned in the very first response to this thread - look into a true beginner's program. I'd suggest, for your goals, the Practical Programming version of Starting Strength. It's a fairly low volume program and it (basically) substitutes pull-ups and chin-ups (you can do both of these on a lat pulldown station) for power cleans. You won't get "bulky" or anything like that.

Of course, you'll want to look more into whether or not there are any good PTs in your area - I know you said there weren't any, but I gotta think that there are some - or at least get your "gym buddy" that actually knows what (s)he's doing. At minimum, watch as many training videos from whomever wrote the program you choose (there are quite a few on youtube from Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength), record yourself doing the lifts - WITH LIGHT WEIGHT!!! - post those videos you take online and get feedback for your form.
  • donutlifter107
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    hill8570 wrote: »

Yeah, it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's not great. It seems like a lot of wasted movements for a beginner, too.

As was mentioned in the very first response to this thread - look into a true beginner's program. I'd suggest, for your goals, the Practical Programming version of Starting Strength. It's a fairly low volume program and it (basically) substitutes pull-ups and chin-ups (you can do both of these on a lat pulldown station) for power cleans. You won't get "bulky" or anything like that.

Of course, you'll want to look more into whether or not there are any good PTs in your area - I know you said there weren't any, but I gotta think that there are some - or at least get your "gym buddy" that actually knows what (s)he's doing. At minimum, watch as many training videos from whomever wrote the program you choose (there are quite a few on youtube from Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength), record yourself doing the lifts - WITH LIGHT WEIGHT!!! - post those videos you take online and get feedback for your form.

This 100%.