Tell me I am not the only one!

Options
Please tell me I am not the only one who suffers with horrible constipation! I eat my veggies and get a plenty of fiber but it seems that the better I eat the worse it gets. I can eat fast food for a week and be right on schedule but I get to eating right and I am backed up to the moon!!

Anyone else out there? Anyone have any solutions???

Sorry for the TMI :)

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Eat more nuts.
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eat more healthy fats.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one. Be sure you're getting enough fats. I had to add a small magnesium supplement daily. That did the trick.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not getting enough dietary fat in your diet if it takes greasy fast food to get you regular again. Constipation is *normally* a symptom of one of three things:

1) Not enough water.
    2) Not enough fiber (or too much fiber in some cases).
    3) Not enough dietary fat.

It's also worth mentioning that too much fiber can have the opposite effect that you want and block you up. Check your fiber numbers to make sure you're not getting too much.

I just looked at your food diary. Your fat numbers are pretty low. You can still eat nutritional foods and get more fat in your diet. Try eating peanut butter, adding a little oil to certain meals, or eating nuts.
  • adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I will have to try some of these things. This really sucks and I am tired of this battle. Any suggestions on what would be good dietary fiber? I am eating more peanut butter or trying to...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Try a few days without the whey protein too. For some that's the issue.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    adreal wrote: »
    I will have to try some of these things. This really sucks and I am tired of this battle. Any suggestions on what would be good dietary fiber? I am eating more peanut butter or trying to...

Do you mean dietary fiber or dietary fat? You say you're already eating a ton of vegetables, and that's probably your best source of fiber. If you meant dietary fat, nuts, nut butters, oil, or anything with significant fat content will help you out.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, lots of green veggies, a couple of ounces of prune juice and 400mg tablets of magnesium citrate everyday do it for me!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Switch to full fat dairy, put a little butter or oil on your veggies, snack on nuts and seeds. Unfortunately we have this horrible misconception that we have to avoid fat in order to be healthy and lean. Fat is a vital nutrient, will help keep you full longer and tastes pretty darn good too!
  • healthymomkc
    healthymomkc Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Drinks LOTS of water. But you also need ruffage (sp?) nuts, greens-- if you eat bread.. fiber one has a bread now!
  • adreal
    Options
    I drink tons of water. My only deviation from that is milk with my ISO Whey and a cup of coffee and hot tea. So water is my friend. I usually use butter to make my egg in the morning and put butter on my broccoli at lunch when I cook it. I am going to have to bring in some Almonds and peanut butter for snack in the afternoon.

I was backed up for a month when I was pregnant and tried to take prune jucie and it didnt come back so well and I am not sure I can force myself to do that again.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Well, there's always a Fleets..... :o
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Whey powder is like cement mix for me - two helpings of that stuff & I'm bunged for at least three days.... Try getting protein from natural sources (wherever possible) & flaxseed is great for getting things moving (providing I avoid whey powder of course)....

xXx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Whey powder is like cement mix for me - two helpings of that stuff & I'm bunged for at least three days.... Try getting protein from natural sources (wherever possible) & flaxseed is great for getting things moving (providing I avoid whey powder of course)....

xXx
    Me as well. It's like a cement plug.
  • Vossii
    Vossii Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fiber pills and water
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Try dandelion tea.
  • adreal
    Options
    I was going twice a day for a few days since I had started the ISO Whey but now I just hurt. I am going to have to change something to get this moving.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    ^ Keep up the great work! :)
  • adreal
    Options
    @mattc772014 I have some of that at home and tried to drink it before and it was like licking a tree. I am not sure I can do it again but if I get desperate I will drink that tree and deal :)