eat right and no need to count calories

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "You can eat too much of "Healthy" food too!"
    Yeah, ok. I dare some one on here to try eating 2000 calories worth of apples. Then try eating 2000 calories worth of Krispey Kreme and tell me the two foods are the same.

tumblr_mh9q40HMlj1rj0da7o1_400.gif

I could absolutely wreck 2000 calories of other fruits though. Does that mean they're "unhealthy" because of the caloric density?

Tell you a doughnut and an apple is the same? Why? No one on here has said that the nutrient breakdown of a fruit and a pastry is the same, why start now?

I love the standard straw man "take it to extremes" response that always comes out in these threads.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    QuietBloom wrote: »
    suelegal wrote: »
    sorry all foods are not "healthy" no matter how they are eaten. Generalizing like that gets people into trouble.

Care to elaborate?

You needed more qualifiers, like "once you've hit your micro and macro needs, treats are just fine as long as you don't overshoot your calorie needs." That is a far cry from 'everything in moderation'.

Once you hit your micros/macros, treats will no longer fit into the picture. Some people (actually, a lot of people) use treats to hit their macros.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Yeah, ok. I dare some one on here to try eating 2000 calories worth of apples. Then try eating 2000 calories worth of Krispey Kreme and tell me the two foods are the same.

tumblr_mh9q40HMlj1rj0da7o1_400.gif

I could absolutely wreck 2000 calories of other fruits though. Does that mean they're "unhealthy" because of the caloric density?

Tell you a doughnut and an apple is the same? Why? No one on here has said that the nutrient breakdown of a fruit and a pastry is the same, why start now?

I love the standard straw man "take it to extremes" response that always comes out in these threads.

That gif image is pure gold.
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why do people say all foods are healthy? That isn't true. You might be able to maintain a healthy body and eat some nonhealthy food but there is nothing healthy about a donut for instance. I don't get how you can say it is. I think that clean eating would mean lower calories and most people would maintain or loose weight eating clean but you can clean eat and gain if you eat too many calories.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I need a comfort food. The key is not to over do it. For some, a donut maybe what they need that day. If you see donuts 10 days in row and have one only. I call that a win.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    I've read in a number of books and articles, one today, that if you are eating right (or healthy or clean or however you call it) then you don't need to measure food or count calories. Since this is a calorie-counting site I assume you have not found this to be the case? Is it likely one will continue to carry excess fat even when eating healthy, if calories aren't controlled too?

Most people who "diet" fail in the long term, whether it be CICO or other methods. Some people do really well with CICO. Others fail because counting the calories of every pretzel and cookie can be a real drag. Others have done very well simply by eliminating most sugars and junk carbs (bread, pasta, cereal) from their regimens (yes, I know it's hard to believe, but there are people who lose a ton of weight without counting a single calorie).

So you have to figure out what works for you.

Yeah, what's the long-term success rate for giving up carbs and maintaining any kind of loss? Also? How many calories are consumed on this carb free diet?

• jasonmh630
    Options
    kim_m_kk wrote: »
    Why do people say all foods are healthy? That isn't true. You might be able to maintain a healthy body and eat some nonhealthy food but there is nothing healthy about a donut for instance. I don't get how you can say it is. I think that clean eating would mean lower calories and most people would maintain or loose weight eating clean but you can clean eat and gain if you eat too many calories.

A donut provides carbs and fat, which are necessary nutritional aspects that you need. So yes, even what you call "unhealthy" foods are healthy to a certain extent.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

A donut provides carbs and fat, which are necessary nutritional aspects that you need. So yes, even what you call "unhealthy" foods are healthy to a certain extent.

Mental health is important too. Sometimes, we need little treats. And food is part of social and cultural gathering, ritual, and celebration. Being moderate with all food is part of living in the world around us and enjoying it.

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i feel like counting calories is more effective when it comes to weight loss.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

I dunno. I'm an amateur orchardist (80-ish trees), ferment my own cider and find it quite easy to consume 2000 calories of apples in Apple Jack or Hard Cider form, if I'm not careful.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've read in a number of books and articles, one today, that if you are eating right (or healthy or clean or however you call it) then you don't need to measure food or count calories. Since this is a calorie-counting site I assume you have not found this to be the case? Is it likely one will continue to carry excess fat even when eating healthy, if calories aren't controlled too?

Most people who "diet" fail in the long term, whether it be CICO or other methods. Some people do really well with CICO. Others fail because counting the calories of every pretzel and cookie can be a real drag. Others have done very well simply by eliminating most sugars and junk carbs (bread, pasta, cereal) from their regimens (yes, I know it's hard to believe, but there are people who lose a ton of weight without counting a single calorie).

Yeah, what's the long-term success rate for giving up carbs and maintaining any kind of loss? Also? How many calories are consumed on this carb free diet?

giving up all carbs would not be maintainable, but lowering them is.

i would regularly eat huge piles of pasta back when i was at my highest weight. i no longer do that. it was an easy thing to change.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating. Many people can, quite a few can not. So, like many things you will see here, it depends.
    I intuitively eat everything. :smiley:

• PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

giving up all carbs would not be maintainable, but lowering them is.

i would regularly eat huge piles of pasta back when i was at my highest weight. i no longer do that. it was an easy thing to change.

Based on what data? Because you're telling me? What is the long-term success rate of low-carb dieting? And, honestly, you don't need to defend it since you weren't making the claim that CICO wasn't "sustainable" (as if a scientific principle stopped being sustainable, I'm waiting for gravity to stop being sustainable so I can fly!).

The other point inherent in all of this nonsense is just HOW does low-carbing bypass CICO? Some proof of that too.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Definitely not the same (although I don't know that anyone ever said they were). One would leave me feeling full for a few hours and able to go on about my day.

The other would have me at least in the bathroom for 90% of the next 24 hours and may even require my hospitalization.

So given the likely consequences of this hypothetical dare, clearly the Krispy Kremes are a "healthier" dietary choice.
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

Mental health is important too. Sometimes, we need little treats. And food is part of social and cultural gathering, ritual, and celebration. Being moderate with all food is part of living in the world around us and enjoying it.

+1 for adding this to my original thought.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    swansorp09 wrote: »
    I watch an obesity show once where a 600+ pound guys gained 2 pounds. The doctor assumed he was bad with his diet. The man said all he ate was oranges the past 2 days. The doctor asked how many oranges. The man said he ate 54 oranges a day. Healthy food but gained weight.

Hmm there are about 50 calories in a small orange, so 54 of them would be about 2700 calories.. which is not solely going to make a 600lb man gain 2lbs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

What is healthy? What is clean eating? It's all in the perception.

In order to lose weight you must eat less calories than you burn. You can eat whatever you want because a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss. How you chose to eat less than you burn is entirely individual. Some people can do it without weighing food and/or logging, others of us cannot or choose not to for various reasons.

Nutrition is a whole other ballgame.

This discussion has been closed.