eat right and no need to count calories

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When I began, I was advised to eat healthy, exercise and not worry about anything else. I had special restrictions in addition to that, but could eat all the fruits and veggies my little heart desired.

Without logging, counting, weighing myself or doing any of the things that are so common for weight loss, I lost my first forty pounds. I was shocked when I found out how much I'd lost. Since my clothes got bigger and too big, I knew I'd lost, but was FLOORED by forty pounds. I literally got off and back on the scale and considered that I might've been weighed wrong in the first place, but it would've required like a dozen people doing it wrong in six or eight different places, so there was no error.

If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat. You'll see people here asking about how to get to 1200 eating only the healthiest of food. While it's theoretically possible, it would be very difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time.
    I completely disagree with this. There are too many high calorie choices that could be considered "healthy". If I ate grass fed steak, eggs, almonds/almond butter, milk, avocados, coconut oil, bananas, natural peanut butter, oats, granola, etc I could easily eat above my maintenance, and my maintenance is over 3000 calories. Someone with a smaller maintenance could do it even easier.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    When I began, I was advised to eat healthy, exercise and not worry about anything else. I had special restrictions in addition to that, but could eat all the fruits and veggies my little heart desired.

Without logging, counting, weighing myself or doing any of the things that are so common for weight loss, I lost my first forty pounds. I was shocked when I found out how much I'd lost. Since my clothes got bigger and too big, I knew I'd lost, but was FLOORED by forty pounds. I literally got off and back on the scale and considered that I might've been weighed wrong in the first place, but it would've required like a dozen people doing it wrong in six or eight different places, so there was no error.

If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat. You'll see people here asking about how to get to 1200 eating only the healthiest of food. While it's theoretically possible, it would be very difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time.

You bring this on yourself. You know that, right?
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the interesting replies. I purposefully did not venture an opinion in my original post. I wanted to see what others had to say. For myself, I put on tons of weight eating neurotically too much and too crappy a diet. I'm working hard on turning this around. I believe that shifting most of my diet to healthier foods will help me lose weight, but I still need to be conscious of how much I am actually eating.

For example I have put a bowl of walnuts on my kitchen table so I will remind myself to have a few a day for the Omega-3s. But I know I won't be able to get a bowlful every day! Same with rice. I am switching from white to brown, but I am also eating small portions, if any.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

I completely disagree with this. There are too many high calorie choices that could be considered "healthy". If I ate grass fed steak, eggs, almonds/almond butter, milk, avocados, coconut oil, bananas, natural peanut butter, oats, granola, etc I could easily eat above my maintenance, and my maintenance is over 3000 calories. Someone with a smaller maintenance could do it even easier.

I guess, but really, who's going to have a steak-egg-avocado-peanut butter sandwich?

Most people tend not to eat as much when all they eat is home-cooked meals.

Fact is, when people mostly ate nothing but home-cooked meals, fewer people were overweight. Fact is, wherever the fast food industry takes hold, obesity rates rise in previously normal-weight populations.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I actually DID find this to be the case.... but only when I also paired that with 6 hours a week of cardio and/or making sure I limited my calorie-dense food intake. I got from 195 to 140ishlbs in 6 months that way.

But I regained. That method of eating and 6hrs cardio a week were not sustainable. I now have more specific body composition goals though, and I am now conceding to the fact that I probably won't get to my goals until at least another 6 months or longer even though I only want to lose about 15-20lbs.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I guess, but really, who's going to have a steak-egg-avocado-peanut butter sandwich?

Fact is, when people mostly ate nothing but home-cooked meals, fewer people were overweight. Fact is, wherever the fast food industry takes hold, obesity rates rise in previously normal-weight populations.
    I don't have a steak, egg, avocado, and peanut butter sandwich, no. But is it that crazy to have eggs for breakfast, a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, avocados and almonds for snacks, and steak + sweet potato for dinner? Depending on portions that could be too many calories for me to lose weight. All of those foods are typically considered "healthy". Add in some vegetables cooked in extra virgin olive oil, and banana, and apple and the calories have really started to add up. No one is saying that eating minimally processed foods isn't a good idea or that it doesn't usually lead to eating fewer calories. The statement was made "If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat." The fact of the matter is, that it isn't always really hard to do. I could do it easily.

As to eating at home vs eating fast food, that is a completely different topic and not entirely relevant to this discussion. The discussion is about counting calories or just "eating healthy". Home cooked meals can contain more calories then fast food meals. It depends what you cook, vs what you'd order and in what portion.
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I don't have a steak, egg, avocado, and peanut butter sandwich, no. But is it that crazy to have eggs for breakfast, a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, avocados and almonds for snacks, and steak + sweet potato for dinner? Depending on portions that could be too many calories for me to lose weight. All of those foods are typically considered "healthy". Add in some vegetables cooked in extra virgin olive oil, and banana, and apple and the calories have really started to add up. No one is saying that eating minimally processed foods isn't a good idea or that it doesn't usually lead to eating fewer calories. The statement was made "If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat." The fact of the matter is, that it isn't always really hard to do. I could do it easily.

As to eating at home vs eating fast food, that is a completely different topic and not entirely relevant to this discussion. The discussion is about counting calories or just "eating healthy". Home cooked meals can contain more calories then fast food meals. It depends what you cook, vs what you'd order and in what portion.

True, true, all true. But man, look at France. Their cuisine is a calorie monster, super high fat. Butter, cheese, steak, wine. It IS hard to eat a lot of it. They're still reportedly "thinnest in Europe", but even they're gaining weight, thanks to (some think) more intake of fast food and less consumption of traditional (home-cooked) foods.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9612225/Number-of-obese-people-in-France-doubles-to-seven-million.html

• LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not counting leads me to "one more spoonful won't hurt" (and then the spoonful becomes ten spoonfuls). When I do count, I realize that most of the times, when it doesn't fit my calorie allowance anymore, I'm usually already satisfied and I would just be eating for the sake of it
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think when you are eating healthy foods, and lots of high fiber veg, it is tougher and less appealing to overeat than with a bag of calorie dense potato chips or ice cream or pasta. That being said, log your 'clean eating'(which can be interpreted so many diff ways) and see where it puts you calorically. Information is good, even if you don't want to log the rest of your life, get a baseline and that helps you assess meals on your own at least a little more accurately.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

You bring this on yourself. You know that, right?
    Bring what on? My better health and weight loss? The fact that someone disagrees with me?

I don't care who disagrees. Disagree all you like.

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options

So what type of foods would fit into your 'healthiest of all foods' category.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Healthy eating includes watchingcholesterol, sodium, fat content and sticking to lean, white meats. You won't be able to eat too many of those eggs sticking to All Healthy, All The Time.

I'm not saying you couldn't gain weight eating whatever you choose to eat, just that people sometimes have a really hard time hitting 1200 when doing All Healthy, All The Time.

But I respect your opinion and think the boards are better when there are multiple opinions posted. Not trying to start a big fight, just clarify. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Healthy eating includes watchingcholesterol, sodium, fat content and sticking to lean, white meats. You won't be able to eat too many of those eggs sticking to All Healthy, All The Time.

The problem is that you've just created a circular definition.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    yes, I find if I avoid too many carbs, I can go long periods of time without logging food at all and not gain.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Look up Freelee the Banana Girl, she'll blow your mind! If not for all seriousness then for fun. She's crazy.

after reading your post, i looked her up

SHE IS A MORON, no one should ever follow that crap

Dont even mention her as the less people know the better man kind is

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    It's actually not a terrible question.

Billions of people in the world maintain a healthy weight without ever counting calories. Most of them just intuitively don't eat too much.

However, if you're here because you're overweight (and by your profile, I see that you're trying to lose 87 pounds), then the simple truth is that the reason you got to be overweight -- the reason we all got to be overweight -- is that we consumed more calories than we burned. Maybe not a lot more. Maybe there were medical or other reasons for it. But that's what it comes down to: Calories In exceeding Calories Out. And that means that, for most of us, simply eating intuitively doesn't work.

There's a saying that "nobody ever got fat on broccoli". But you might be surprised at how easy it is to overeat on so-called "clean" foods if you're not mindful. And if you're already overweight and trying to lose weight, then eating too many calories -- whether those calories come from cookies or broccoli -- will prevent you from being successful at weight loss.

Is counting calories the only effective way to lose weight? No, of course not. There are lots of methods that people can and have used successfully. But, whether you count them or not, to lose weight, Calories In have got to be less than Calories Out. That's just how it works. So counting them is a useful tool for many of us to effectively take off the extra pounds -- and to keep them off once they're gone.

some people can change their ways to focus on healthier foods and then the intuitive eating kicks in and they don't gain weight. happened for me.
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    yes, I find if I avoid too many carbs, I can go long periods of time without logging food at all and not gain.

yeah, me too, in the past. i think it's true that if you stick to food rules, counting can be less important. but it requires close adherence to the rules. exceptions have a way of slipping past a lot of people. counting calories is a surer way of knowing what's going in.

basically, it takes rigourous attention to either quantity (calories) or quality (food choices). ( both = better)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I happen to like kalikels post. Made sense to me
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I also think there's a big difference between someone who is a healthy weight and trying to stay a healthy weight, and someone who is overweight trying to lose weight. The former just requires that person to keep on doing what they've been doing already. The latter requires a calorie deficit, which is a lot harder for most people to get right without counting, because a deficit is an active effort to eat less than the body thinks it needs.
This discussion has been closed.