eat right and no need to count calories

Options
I've read in a number of books and articles, one today, that if you are eating right (or healthy or clean or however you call it) then you don't need to measure food or count calories. Since this is a calorie-counting site I assume you have not found this to be the case? Is it likely one will continue to carry excess fat even when eating healthy, if calories aren't controlled too?

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    All foods are healthy when eaten in moderation.

Processed and unprocessed foods can both lead to weight gain when eaten in a calorie surplus.

A surplus from apples or a surplus from Doritos… doesn't matter. One will still gain weight.

Therefore, it is important to weigh all foods.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating. Many people can, quite a few can not. So, like many things you will see here, it depends.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    sorry all foods are not "healthy" no matter how they are eaten. Generalizing like that gets people into trouble.
  • MillieSJ
    MillieSJ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Look up Freelee the Banana Girl, she'll blow your mind! If not for all seriousness then for fun. She's crazy.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Not counting is pretty much what got me here in the first place.

You could eat 'clean' or whatever you want, but if you're consuming more calories than you burn, you're still going to gain weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,103 Member
    Options
    I have a number of friends both here on MFP and in person who are Vegan even mainly raw Vegan who are overweight, one would be classified as Obese. Yes a person can get fat on the so called healthy foods just as much as they can with the so called unhealthy foods. It may be somewhat more difficult, but it is just as likely.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Avocado very healthy ...but quickly hundreds of calories..... just one.

Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out ( in deficit)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    I've read in a number of books and articles, one today, that if you are eating right (or healthy or clean or however you call it) then you don't need to measure food or count calories.

That works for some people. Doesn't work for most people.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I've read in a number of books and articles, one today, that if you are eating right (or healthy or clean or however you call it) then you don't need to measure food or count calories. Since this is a calorie-counting site I assume you have not found this to be the case? Is it likely one will continue to carry excess fat even when eating healthy, if calories aren't controlled too?
    There are several problems with this. First what is "right", or "clean", or "healthy"? Are nuts healthy? They are calorie bombs. How about avocados, are they healthy? Again calorie bomb. Eggs? 70 calories each. What about milk? 90 calories a cup for skim, even more for 1, or 2 %. Bananas? Roughly 110 calories a piece. No matter what you eat, if you eat too much of it, you will not lose weight.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    There are several problems with this. First what is "right", or "clean", or "healthy"? Are nuts healthy? They are calorie bombs. How about avocados, are they healthy? Again calorie bomb. Eggs? 70 calories each. What about milk? 90 calories a cup for skim, even more for 1, or 2 %. Bananas? Roughly 110 calories a piece. No matter what you eat, if you eat too much of it, you will not lose weight.

Said it so much better than me, lol ( one day i will learn proper English...promise)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Let us know how that works for you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    suelegal wrote: »
    sorry all foods are not "healthy" no matter how they are eaten. Generalizing like that gets people into trouble.

Care to elaborate?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This thread inspires me to eat a bowl of broccoli... ;)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There are many good reasons to choose to eat organic and/or "natural" foods. Weight loss isn't one of them. Organic butter and heavy cream and honey and eggs from backyard hens are all wonderful and delicious and quite caloric.

I think that small farms add to the quality of life locally, and gardening and raising livestock are noble pastimes. That doesn't mean that they will make you lose weight. "Clean" (I hate that term) eating has its own virtues. Weight loss isn't automatically one of them. The people who keep asserting so are actually doing a disservice to the idea, because it's so obviously Woo and bro science.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten pretty healthfully--plenty of veggies, whole grains, "good" fats, grassfed meats. I just ate too much of all that good food. And we all know people who eat greasy fast food in modest quantities and stay thin.
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Echoing what others have said...but it depends on what your goals are. If you are interested in fat loss you will need to be in calorie deficit and that gets very tricky if you are simply estimating. It's surprising how quickly calories can add up even with small portions and it is absolutely contingent upon the actual food item you're going to eat. If you are just eating better and including more nutrient dense rather than calorie dense food then you may not need to weight and count your calories....it's about your defining your goals and setting your course. Good luck ~!~
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes.

It does not matter whether clean, grubby or positively filthy - if you eat at a surplus you will gain weight.

Many people find it easier to stay within their calorie goals however by eating a least a reasonable amount of whole-foods.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's actually not a terrible question.

Billions of people in the world maintain a healthy weight without ever counting calories. Most of them just intuitively don't eat too much.

However, if you're here because you're overweight (and by your profile, I see that you're trying to lose 87 pounds), then the simple truth is that the reason you got to be overweight -- the reason we all got to be overweight -- is that we consumed more calories than we burned. Maybe not a lot more. Maybe there were medical or other reasons for it. But that's what it comes down to: Calories In exceeding Calories Out. And that means that, for most of us, simply eating intuitively doesn't work.

There's a saying that "nobody ever got fat on broccoli". But you might be surprised at how easy it is to overeat on so-called "clean" foods if you're not mindful. And if you're already overweight and trying to lose weight, then eating too many calories -- whether those calories come from cookies or broccoli -- will prevent you from being successful at weight loss.

Is counting calories the only effective way to lose weight? No, of course not. There are lots of methods that people can and have used successfully. But, whether you count them or not, to lose weight, Calories In have got to be less than Calories Out. That's just how it works. So counting them is a useful tool for many of us to effectively take off the extra pounds -- and to keep them off once they're gone.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When I began, I was advised to eat healthy, exercise and not worry about anything else. I had special restrictions in addition to that, but could eat all the fruits and veggies my little heart desired.

Without logging, counting, weighing myself or doing any of the things that are so common for weight loss, I lost my first forty pounds. I was shocked when I found out how much I'd lost. Since my clothes got bigger and too big, I knew I'd lost, but was FLOORED by forty pounds. I literally got off and back on the scale and considered that I might've been weighed wrong in the first place, but it would've required like a dozen people doing it wrong in six or eight different places, so there was no error.

If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat. You'll see people here asking about how to get to 1200 eating only the healthiest of food. While it's theoretically possible, it would be very difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could lose weight without weighing/counting/logging if you ate the same relatively low calorie dense foods every day in the same small bowl. <snooze>
This discussion has been closed.