FitBit Decision!

Options
So at work we have an incentive program. If you workout x amount of times a year and earn 450 "points", you earn $250. I met the goal last year, so next week Thursday I'll get the $250 reward. I know I want to buy a FitBit with that money. The problem is, I don't know if I should wait for the Charge HR, or if I just go for the Charge. The majority of my dilemma is that in the summer, I workout more outside (no HR monitor), but the winter months I go indoors. The work gym hasHRr monitors on all the equipment as well. Both the Charge and the Charge HR appear to be identical...except for the HR monitor. I also don't knwo when the Charge HR will be released, but I know the Charge is available now.

So do I wait for the HR (which would be beneficial for at least 1/2 the year each year), or do I just go with the Charge and get started with it now? Any opinions?

Replies

• ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    can't go wrong with the charge.....i have read there is a variation in the heart rate readings with the charge hr though, compared to a chest strap hrm.....that's my killer there.....i personally use a chest strap hrm, as well as a fitbit at the gym, to give me a closer look at my true calorie burn. sometimes fitbit and myfitnesspal are like 100 calories off, compared to the hrm, which is measuring exertion based on my heart rate.....
  • sweating_for_wedding
    Options
    I say spring for the Charge HR! I stopped using my Fitbit Flex because I wasn't able to tell how many calories I burned in gym classes where I wasn't physically stepping a lot. I switched to a Polar heart rate monitor to get a more accurate count, and I've found when wearing that that the gym machines overestimate my calorie burn. I feel like the Charge HR is the best of both worlds and I can't wait to get one!
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    i have read there is a variation in the heart rate readings with the charge hr though, compared to a chest strap hrm.....quote]

That's the reason I'm teetering with the decision. It'd be nice to have the HR for when I go running outside, but I use the chest strap hrm when I'm in the gym...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    ems212 wrote: »
    So at work we have an incentive program. If you workout x amount of times a year and earn 450 "points", you earn $250. I met the goal last year, so next week Thursday I'll get the $250 reward. I know I want to buy a FitBit with that money. The problem is, I don't know if I should wait for the Charge HR, or if I just go for the Charge. The majority of my dilemma is that in the summer, I workout more outside (no HR monitor), but the winter months I go indoors. The work gym hasHRr monitors on all the equipment as well. Both the Charge and the Charge HR appear to be identical...except for the HR monitor. I also don't knwo when the Charge HR will be released, but I know the Charge is available now.

So do I wait for the HR (which would be beneficial for at least 1/2 the year each year), or do I just go with the Charge and get started with it now? Any opinions?

Charge HR is now available. I bought the Charge last night and saw the Charge HR but I did not need the HR.
  • ems212
    Options
    I say spring for the Charge HR! I stopped using my Fitbit Flex because I wasn't able to tell how many calories I burned in gym classes where I wasn't physically stepping a lot. I switched to a Polar heart rate monitor to get a more accurate count, and I've found when wearing that that the gym machines overestimate my calorie burn. I feel like the Charge HR is the best of both worlds and I can't wait to get one!

Do you worry about the accuracy of it? I use the chest strap hrm in the gym, which is more accurate than the handle bar hrms, and I'm worried that the Charge HR will be off in its readings too.
  • ems212
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Charge HR is now available. I bought the Charge last night and saw the Charge HR but I did not need the HR.

I didn't know it was available already? Where did you see it?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes down to HR a chest strap tends to be more accurate because of the location. I have the Charge without the HR monitor and I love it. It goes into automatic sleep mode and its pretty dead on with my TDEE and step count. If you're worried about the HR being accurate you can always get the regular Charge and invest in a Polar for cardio activities.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    No I do not. I have a Fitbug right now and I will tell you it has been great. I needed to upgrade to something that would allow me to set alrams and connect to my phone.

I read a lot about these and I came back to Fitbit Charge. I really do not put too much emphasis on HR's. They make these devices costly and in my option they are not that accurate and with anything else it too is estimations. One HR will be different from another one.

• Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Go for the BEST you can afford. You won't regret spending the extra money to get something that will track it all for you.
  • ems212
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm thinking that the Charge will be the way to go for me :) It'd be nice to have an hrm for when I go running around the sub division, but to be honest, it's not the biggest priority for me.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    instant gratification, every time. when you start running, you're going to want a GPS watch anyways.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The Charge is less bulky, if that matters. The HR might be better at monitoring your resting heart rate changes over time than your elevated heart rates at this time, based on my experience.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm thinking that the Charge will be the way to go for me :) It'd be nice to have an hrm for when I go running around the sub division, but to be honest, it's not the biggest priority for me.

I use the HR on my work out equipment. I also only take a fraction of what I may have burned so I do not over calculate my exercise. I also I take my blood pressure
    before and after.

I do not need a GPS because I workout at home but it too cost a lot more for a tracker than I want to pay for keeping up with exercise, nutrition, steps, stairs, sleep, alarms, etc..

I read so many reviews on every thing last night (about 4 hours worth of reading) and came back to the Fitbit Charge. My Fitbit Charge was 114.00 on amazon. Get the extra wrist Fastener Ring when you buy yours.

• ems212
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I use the HR on my work out equipment. I also only take a fraction of what I may have burned so I do not over calculate my exercise. I also I take my blood pressure before and after.

I do not need a GPS because I workout at home but it too cost a lot more for a tracker than I want to pay for keeping up with exercise, nutrition, steps, stairs, sleep, alarms, etc..

I read so many reviews on every thing last night (about 4 hours worth of reading) and came back to the Fitbit Charge. My Fitbit Charge was 114.00 on amazon. Get the extra wrist Fastener Ring when you buy yours.

I don't really need the GPS either. I have RunKeeper, which uses the GPS on my phone and is very accurate (I tested it quite a few times).

I've been using the hrm on the workout equipment at the gym, I just don't have that capability at home right now.

I've also read a lot of reviews...just nothing strong enough to sway me either way (which is why I enlisted the help of the wonderful people on mfp) :)

From what I've been hearing though, the Charge definitely is seeming to be the way to go.
  • RussetBrunnette
    RussetBrunnette Posts: 107 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had a polar ft40 and after awhile it would lose my heart rate despite different positions I put it in and using electrode gel. Got the charge HR a few days ago and love it. When I'm working out and my heart rate gets high it might drop it for a few seconds but quickly picks it back up. The calorie burn seems to be on par with what my polar told me I burned when it did last throughout my whole workout. Hope this helps!
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I know someone that just got the Surge and it has GPS for running. She loves it.
  • sweating_for_wedding
    Options

Do you worry about the accuracy of it? I use the chest strap hrm in the gym, which is more accurate than the handle bar hrms, and I'm worried that the Charge HR will be off in its readings too.

I do :/ I always subtract a decent amount of cals just incase. Then I can be pleasantly surprised if it is correct!
  • ems212
    Options
    I had a polar ft40 and after awhile it would lose my heart rate despite different positions I put it in and using electrode gel. Got the charge HR a few days ago and love it. When I'm working out and my heart rate gets high it might drop it for a few seconds but quickly picks it back up. The calorie burn seems to be on par with what my polar told me I burned when it did last throughout my whole workout. Hope this helps!

So the Charge HR seems accurate compared to others? My other question is where did you get yours from? I can't seem to find any stores or release date information besides Spring of 2015.
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can get the HR on the Fitbit website and I bought mine on Target's website last night (its supposed to arrive sometime next week). As far as I know it is not available in any physical stores yet but it is available online
  • RussetBrunnette
    RussetBrunnette Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I got mine from fitbit.com