OMG Every year I start only to not finish

Options
Every year I start and at somepoint give up. Last year I gained over 10 lbs!!
I was laid off and depressed and stressed. But now I'm in the worst shape ever and honestly HATE my body. I have a defined spare tire, my butt looks flat because my thighs caught up.
I NEED to fix this... I may try Isagenix to help with the weight, but I need to work out and get into shape... Feeling like an umpa lumpa right now.

Anyone have a challenge going on, with SPECIFIC work outs?

Replies

• CoachPriscilla
    Options
    Hi - I hear you! It is so hard to stay on track. Having an accountability group to check in is critical to your success! There are days when I totally feel like skipping my workout but I know that if I don't, my group will get on me!! I belong to a group right now that posts a weekly workout challenge for all its members (140+) as of today. We all cheer each other on and hold each other accountable. FR me!
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I don't have a challenge but I know from my experience that the gym is my best friend. Not just because it helps me to burn calories but because it gives me "me" time and after that first painful week or two, it just feels good and my energy goes way up. My suggestion is: try to log your food faithfully, you'll be surprised how much just being aware of what you're doing changes your habits and make every effort to set up a gym schedule. A little research online will help you set up a workout routine. If you want some specific ideas as to a work out, Id be happy to help. Then, instead of challenges with other people, go at it like a video game, trying to one up yourself week to week. For example, on all of my exercises, I try to do three sets of ten, once I hit ten on my third set, I up the weight the next time (like leveling up) Fitness Buddy is a great free phone app to track your workouts it also has a lot of built in workouts for you to try.

I think this is your year ;-)
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I could have wrote your post....let go from job, thick middle, flat bottom.
    I am going to start a 5K training workout C25K this morning using podcasts with the goal to run one in March. I have gotten to the point where I could run steady for 30-45 minutes a couple times in my past and I loved the feeling and loved the body changes that came a long with it. It's cheap and I don't have to travel into town to do it. I don't have anyone else that I'm doing it with or a group challenge.....still hunting for one to join.
    Are you a jogger? Want to join me?
    If not I wish you well on your journey to better health! Hope you can find some work outs you love and a great support system to go with it! IMO this is the best site on earth for that!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    What is it they say.... "If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up"? :)

Seriously, find a plan that works for you for the long haul. Don't do the diet pills, restrictive eating plans or anything else that is short term and drives you so crazy that it makes you want to quit. Weight loss is made in the kitchen, not the gym. You can't out-exercise a bad diet. I can come up with more cliches but I hope you get the idea. You don't need to work out to lose weight and working out won't magically bring weight loss if you're still eating more calories than you're burning every day.

Set up MFP for a reasonable weight loss goal and start logging your food. Accurately weigh and measure what you eat to be sure you're eating the calories you are aiming to eat. You don't need a special diet. You can eat the same things you have been eating but just eat less of them.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. The fact is that you haven't just accepted this and are making a change. You rock! The key is consistency, not perfection. If you're having trouble sticking to your plan, get into a support group. I help to run accountability and support groups through Facebook and people really love them. It's just a bunch of people supporting and encouraging each other to make progress towards their goals. It's an awesome community. If that is something you're looking for, let me know and I'd be happy help out.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you keep failing to finish or keep going, then it's not something that is sustainable. Perhaps you should look at why and how what you've been doing isn't sustainable and work on making it so. Then you won't need to keep 'starting' and just keep 'going'.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Here's a little secret. You don't ever stop having a diet. You always have a diet, but it might not be a good one. You don't get a do over on the third piece of cheesecake you ate. The food you eat is part of your diet, forever. The only "giving up on a diet" that exists is when you stop eating and die. Focus on incorporating better eating habits into your diet. Eat more protein and less carbs.

Get on a fitness regimen that you enjoy doing and keep doing it. When it stops being fun find something else you enjoy. So for something new to try this year you said your butt is flat. Learn how to lift weights this year. Get good at doing squats and viola, you'll grow a butt again. You'll also grow some defined arms and other nice looking muscle groups. If it ever stops being fun then switch to kettlebells or something.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I was laid off in the beginning of trying to lose weight too. It's really hard. The past year I've been working on keeping healthy and exercising through whatever life throws me. I am about 7 lbs down from last year this time, so it wasnt a total failure. Just keep on keepin' on! Never stop trying!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that "hating" your body is the number one problem you need to tackle first, not your weight. You can have the absolute perfect body, but if you don't have regard or love for yourself, it will NEVER be enough, and you will always be miserable.

Learn to love yourself first, and the rest will naturally follow.

I-Workout-Because-I-Love-It.jpg
  • chameleonlounge
    chameleonlounge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started Isagenix. I really like it. I needed a jumpstart so I got the kit. I'm on day 11. I know what I need to do, I was just so unmotivated, overworked and tired. The day I got my 30 day kit I was so happy. There is no way I'm going to blow this 30 day plan. I feel I needed the jumpstart and I'm glad I did it. I have 20 pounds to loose.