I quite literally cannot lose weight

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    goldfish29 wrote: »
    Need2Exerc1se - I've never been tested to see if it's actual fat. I'm guessing at least part of it is but some could be water retention.

I would discuss this with your doctor. Rapid weight gain is often water, which is why is it so concerning to medical professionals. And a calorie deficit will not help with losing water. You need to find and treat the cause.

+1

Plus, if you are cutting calories for no good reason, you are putting more stress on your body you don't need. It's possible that is why your period stopped, and it's not directly related to whatever is causing the weight gain at all.

Another thought - sudden weight gain has also been observed with fast growing tumors/cysts (malignant and non-malignant). So, it may not be water weight and STILL not be fat. Some of these would not be detectable with blood work, only with a scan of the area.

Agreed. I had a patient who gained about 50 pounds in less than 2 months due to an ovarian tumor.
  • goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    canoepug wrote: »
    Were you on any meds during the rotator cuff treatment ?
    I was not aside from OTC pain relievers.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    In terms of menopause not being possible at 31, there's a condition called Premature Ovarian Failure, which is early menopause. I went through menopause at 26. No menses is a warning sign. Are you having any other issues like hot flashes? I think that path is worth pursuing further.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I question HRM. Every post I see that people use one, all the calorie burns still seem way too high or they're using it the wrong way. I think they account for more than they should. Have you tried wearing it 100% of the time for 1 week without exercise other than daily activity to see what it gives you, then adding your activity back in for a week and calculating the difference?

That's my only suggestion other than seeing a doctor. I don't even know if I could be right though.

ETA: Have you tried significantly reducing stress? Your lack of period might also indicate this. Maybe take a diet (and exercise! You're doing so much!) vacation... and perhaps an actual sabbatical if you can from your job. For 2 months just don't think about it. See if you feel better and if things change.

I'm pretty sure my HRM is not very accurate. It often says I've burned between 3000-4000 calories in a day (or more), although MFP states my TDEE is 1900. I cheaped out and got a wrist one, though. I switched it to my non-domininate arm after it gave me an extra 60 steps for brushing my teeth :#

I became very suspicious of my HRM calorie burn figure, too. As you noticed, it's registering some kind of burn even if you're just sitting down while wearing it. I now take the aveage heart rate over the duration of exercise and use the calculators at shapesense.com to figure the net calorie burn. It's a disappointing number sometimes, but I'm much more comfortable with it.

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I second the person who said did you give any of the methods you tried time to work. Seems like a lot of jumping around in a short period of time. If you're not losing at 1800, that number isn't for you.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Need2Exerc1se - I've never been tested to see if it's actual fat. I'm guessing at least part of it is but some could be water retention.

I would discuss this with your doctor. Rapid weight gain is often water, which is why is it so concerning to medical professionals. And a calorie deficit will not help with losing water. You need to find and treat the cause.

+1

Plus, if you are cutting calories for no good reason, you are putting more stress on your body you don't need. It's possible that is why your period stopped, and it's not directly related to whatever is causing the weight gain at all.

Another thought - sudden weight gain has also been observed with fast growing tumors/cysts (malignant and non-malignant). So, it may not be water weight and STILL not be fat. Some of these would not be detectable with blood work, only with a scan of the area.

Agreed. I had a patient who gained about 50 pounds in less than 2 months due to an ovarian tumor.

My best friend's sister had this as well. Doctors couldn't figure out why she looked more and more pregnant - why it took them so long to find a 10 lb (luckily benign) tumor I have no idea.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I have a relative who was treated for asthma for years...the doctors kept saying how it was so strange it showed up in her late 30s, blah blah....she cracked a rib at tae quon do and the X ray revealed a tumor the size of a softball in between the lobes of her lungs. Absent other symptoms, they can be hard to find when small.

Not to scare you, OP, sorry. But it's worth paying very mindful attention to your body and maybe keeping a journal about any physical symptoms or odd feelings (strange breathing or digestion, passing dizziness, restless sleeping, nausea, jitters, etc) you have over the next few weeks? Couldn't hurt, and you never know what will make a doctor say, "AHA! That would be interesting, I should test for that!"
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I question HRM. Every post I see that people use one, all the calorie burns still seem way too high or they're using it the wrong way. I think they account for more than they should. Have you tried wearing it 100% of the time for 1 week without exercise other than daily activity to see what it gives you, then adding your activity back in for a week and calculating the difference?

That's my only suggestion other than seeing a doctor. I don't even know if I could be right though.

ETA: Have you tried significantly reducing stress? Your lack of period might also indicate this. Maybe take a diet (and exercise! You're doing so much!) vacation... and perhaps an actual sabbatical if you can from your job. For 2 months just don't think about it. See if you feel better and if things change.

I'm pretty sure my HRM is not very accurate. It often says I've burned between 3000-4000 calories in a day (or more), although MFP states my TDEE is 1900. I cheaped out and got a wrist one, though. I switched it to my non-domininate arm after it gave me an extra 60 steps for brushing my teeth :#

Are you talking about a heart rate monitor (which if worn all day is not being used correctly) or an activity monitor? Two very different things.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor investigated why you haven't had a period in 8 months?

Yes, this was part of the numerous labs I had drawn. All of which came back normal. After that they told me I was fine.

So you lost it for no reason, end of?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

+1

My best friend's sister had this as well. Doctors couldn't figure out why she looked more and more pregnant - why it took them so long to find a 10 lb (luckily benign) tumor I have no idea.

Lots of other more common explanations to run down first, most likely, each one with it's own time-consuming tests to run. Part of the problem of trying to treat someone cost effectively is having to run the common and cheap tests first before looking at more expensive things that can eliminate multiple causes in one go - like an MRI.

It's funny how such large tumors can hide in the body. I know someone who had a cantaloupe-sized fibroma grow in front of their spine and kind of between their lungs. They didn't know until they tripped one day and the tumor shifted, pressing on nerves and completely incapacitating them. An emergency surgery completely healed them, fortunately. The docs think the tumor had been slowly growing there for at least a decade, and no one ever suspected a thing.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @goldfish29‌ Have you had a CT scan, MRI, and ultrasound of your ovaries (specifically trans-vaginal)?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    First, let me say I'm sorry you are going through so much frustration. I can hear it in your words. And I believe you when you say you are doing things correctly. I do think that along with some others above, maybe switching things up so often has not given any one thing time to work but I do understand how frustrating it is to gain weight very rapidly with really no explanation, and feel like it's a race to stop it.

I agree with BinkyBonk regarding the possibility of premature ovarian failure and/or menopause, although I think they would have picked up on lower than normal estradiol levels. I, too, have POV, and it showed up in my early 30s. No period for 8 months...something is definitely going on. POV can also cause really heavy, irregular, and long periods. Did you have that prior to having them cease?

Some other things you will want to investigate are:

Hypo/hyper-pituitary disease/tumor. TSH is a pituitary hormone. There is a reason it is elevated. It is trying to stimulate your thyroid for some reason.

Even if your thyroid hormones are "normal", they may not be optimal. Speak to your second endocrinologist about this, and verify they are checking all of your thryoid and pituitary hormones, plus cortisol, FREE estradiol, FREE testosterone, SHBG, FSH, and LH, if they have not already done so, and make sure they do it more than once. Could still be a thyroid condition, or that could be secondary to something else entirely.

Insulin resistance.

PCOS, as already mentioned. Did they test your male hormones? Were they elevated?

Cardiac health. I developed idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy during my only pregnancy 16 years ago. It causes congestive heart failure. I gained 70 lbs during my pregnancy, and a whole lot of it was excess fluids that caused very severe edema and shortness of breath. It did not mess with my period hormones that I know of because I was pregnant, and my periods returned after the birth.

Cushing's disease.

Kidney Failure.

Sleep Apnea.

Liver Disease.

Check your medicine cabinet. Even if you were only on NSAIDs for the rotator cuff, have you been prescribed in the recent past, or are you currently taking: beta blockers, anti-histamines, anti-seizure meds, bipolar disorder meds, fibromyalgia drugs, some diabetes meds, Lithium, anti-depressants, cortico-steroids (even eye drops) for other conditions. These medications show some correlation to weight gain.

This list is not meant to diagnose, scare you, or make you think that something bad is inevitable. It is a list to research on your own so you can know where to seek help and to help you formulate questions for your health care team. You are your own best patient advocate. I wish you good health.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    See, this is why turning to the internet for medical advice is usually a bad idea.

It's probably not a tumour. It's a good idea not to jump to the worst possible conclusion. All that does is cause undue stress.

OP, I know this must be unbelievably frustrating for you. But instead of asking an internet forum for advice, I'd suggest that you keep on working with the medical system to figure out what's wrong and to get some answers.

Meanwhile, folks replying to a thread like this: Unless you're a doctor, probably better to stick to messages of support rather than attempts at diagnosis or recommendations for therapies or cures.
  • goldfish29
    Options
    CATCAT77 wrote: »
    Maybe you should try a colon hydrotherapy. Make sure you are drinking water .

Um...I'm pretty desperate but I think I'll pass on that!
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think you really need to be focusing on finding out what's going on with you rather than trying to lose weight. You *haven't had your period.* Something is going on. Get a second, third, fourth opinion if you need to. Something isn't right here.
  • goldfish29
    Options
    @goldfish29‌ Have you had a CT scan, MRI, and ultrasound of your ovaries (specifically trans-vaginal)?

I have not and all this talk of malignant and benign tumors has me a little freaked out!

• goldfish29
    Options
    Oh and as far as stress goes, yes, I could use less of it that's for sure.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options

I have not and all this talk of malignant and benign tumors has me a little freaked out!

Don't be freaked out. All I'm saying is it's a possibility based on what you have told us and from what I have seen in patients. You aren't going to get answers from here. There is something going on with your body. You need to see a doctor to get answers.

I would highly suggest making an appointment with your OBGYN. Tell them you have experienced sudden weight gain, a loss of periods for 8 months, and whatever other symptoms you are experiencing. They will likely send you for one (or all) or the tests I listed above.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

Don't be freaked out. All I'm saying is it's a possibility based on what you have told us and from what I have seen in patients. You aren't going to get answers from here. There is something going on with your body. You need to see a doctor to get answers.

I would highly suggest making an appointment with your OBGYN. Tell them you have experienced sudden weight gain, a loss of periods for 8 months, and whatever other symptoms you are experiencing. They will likely send you for one (or all) or the tests I listed above.

Agreed. The lack of period for 8 months definitely means something is going on, but it's not necessarily something horrible.

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Vananners wrote: »
    Have you had your hormones tested for PCOS? The symptoms of it closely mimic thyroid disease.

This! Very similar symptoms to thyroid issues. Go to your gynecologist and ask them to do an internal ultrasound of your ovaries. If they find they are covered in cysts, you have PCOS. All you have to do is change your diet and continue with the exercise. I have it. Took them a year to diagnose, but gained 40 lbs in 2 months. So, I get what you are going through. PM me if you want to ask any questions.